Ejection question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowmy

Reaction score
I am building an ISP caliber 3-inch diameter with a baffle, the baffle is mounted 2 to 3 inches above the 54 mm motor mount, I also put a 38 mm motor mount adapter permanently into 54 mm tube because I never felt that I would use a 54 mm, I'm thinking I need more room for the parachute compartment, if I had a coupler and a 14-inch section to the rocket will it have enough charge to eject the parachute?

CTI or AT motors? I know CTI lists their ejection charge size, I'm unaware of AT's charge sizes.

You can use an ejection charge calculator (like this one) to figure out how how strong they'll be in your tube. (don't forget to account for the volume inside the motor mount if you use shorter motors)

Took some measurements of my ISP to give you some real world data.

With a slightly extended motor mount and full AV bay hardware I have about 12” of empty space. That is enough to fit my 12x12 nomex, 5’ RM chute (boy is that thing nice!!!) and about 20’ of 5/8” nylon along with the Kevlar harness.

Not sure how much room you have, but adding 14” just to hold the recovery system seems to be a bit much

1BFFF07B-1F19-4449-BFFD-FE54D2246073.jpeg 703F9DEB-29D6-4288-90B8-F67FA0D10CED.jpeg

Back