3D Printing Anyone printing an ejection baffle/baffle parts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zyzzyva1000

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished printing a design for a 3" honest John I found on Thingiverse, and happened to find a 3" Loc coupler in my pile o' random tubes. Seems that lots of designs are just discs with a series of radially distributed holes, with one end having the holes further from the center, and one end with them closer to the center. A simple centering ring generator in openscad will make this. I was going to make the discs a few mm think and print in ABS and then use maybe half the coupler length as the baffle. Make a 1/4" center hole for a shock cord mount in the forward disc.

Anyone tried this? I figure ABS is a reasonable place to start, though I could try PC or ASA too.

I just finished printing a design for a 3" honest John I found on Thingiverse, and happened to find a 3" Loc coupler in my pile o' random tubes. Seems that lots of designs are just discs with a series of radially distributed holes, with one end having the holes further from the center, and one end with them closer to the center. A simple centering ring generator in openscad will make this. I was going to make the discs a few mm think and print in ABS and then use maybe half the coupler length as the baffle. Make a 1/4" center hole for a shock cord mount in the forward disc.

Anyone tried this? I figure ABS is a reasonable place to start, though I could try PC or ASA too.
Like this?

Attachments

• 20230617_101016.jpg
    20230617_101016.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230617_140236.jpg
    20230617_140236.jpg
    976 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230617_105338.jpg
    20230617_105338.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Well we will see how it works. Appears to be essentially the same as the plywood versions. I printed it in ABS with 4 walls and 35% infill, seems quite sturdy. Have to actually epoxy it together but seems like it should work. Will still put some dog barf in.

Attachments

• IMG_4373.jpeg
    IMG_4373.jpeg
    495.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4374.jpeg
    IMG_4374.jpeg
    491 KB · Views: 0
Well we will see how it works. Appears to be essentially the same as the plywood versions. I printed it in ABS with 4 walls and 35% infill, seems quite sturdy. Have to actually epoxy it together but seems like it should work. Will still put some dog barf in.
you can also use steel wool, tho I have never done so personally. In the one you printed, does it have the half moons inside, or a similar snaking path for the gases, or is it just the central holes on one end and the peripheral holes on the other end? I find I like the snaking ones like Dave's
http://www.qualmanrocketry.com/Baffle BT plywood.html otherwise I'm worried they'll only act as a laundry shelf

you can also use steel wool, tho I have never done so personally. In the one you printed, does it have the half moons inside, or a similar snaking path for the gases, or is it just the central holes on one end and the peripheral holes on the other end? I find I like the snaking ones like Dave's
http://www.qualmanrocketry.com/Baffle BT plywood.html otherwise I'm worried they'll only act as a laundry shelf
I did not do anything beyond just the central and peripheral holes. I suppose I could have stuck steel wool in there, but it could never be replaced. I have had kits with baffles similar to this before, and I still usually use some insulation. My only real goal is to catch the flying bits of black powder. If nothing else it is a nice little shelf that keeps the laundry from falling all the way to the ejection well and makes it easier to have a nice layer of insulation. I will have to report back once I am finally able to fly it.

I did not do anything beyond just the central and peripheral holes. I suppose I could have stuck steel wool in there, but it could never be replaced. I have had kits with baffles similar to this before, and I still usually use some insulation. My only real goal is to catch the flying bits of black powder. If nothing else it is a nice little shelf that keeps the laundry from falling all the way to the ejection well and makes it easier to have a nice layer of insulation. I will have to report back once I am finally able to fly it.
Yeah, I usually put a little something in there depending on the chute material. I too have some rockets where the baffle is fine, but the real advantage is the shelf. Good luck!

Back