Ejection Charge on Reloadable Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rAiN_Twist

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering how the ejection charges work on reloadable black powder rocket motors. My rocketry teacher loaded one the other day in front of us, and it looked like he just put it together and put the black powder in. How does the delay work on that? And how does the ejection cap..? Come off?

If it was reloadable, I doubt it was a black powder motor. Most likely ammonium perchlorate composite propellant.

Theres a delay that burns at the top the top of the motor, starting at ignition. When it burns through, it lights the black powder ejection charge, which blows the cap off

If it was reloadable, I doubt it was a black powder motor. Most likely ammonium perchlorate composite propellant.

Theres a delay that burns at the top the top of the motor, starting at ignition. When it burns through, it lights the black powder ejection charge, which blows the cap off

Oh ok. I did see him put in a tube, and then another tube inside of it. Is one of those tubes the ejection charge?

Also has anyone ever tried to make a rocket motor with gunpowder? (Besides the Chinese... so recently?)

Oh ok. I did see him put in a tube, and then another tube inside of it. Is one of those tubes the ejection charge?

Also has anyone ever tried to make a rocket motor with gunpowder? (Besides the Chinese... so recently?)

The gunpowder used to make early rockets was black powder, the same (generally speaking) as is used in Estes model rocket motors.

AP motors give you a selection of different propellants, too. Smokies, sparkies, red, white, etc.

Ah! I see! This is perfect, thanks!

No problem with using black powder motors that someone else has made. If you're making motors yourself, it's a whole lot more dangerous. If you are making motors, please get an experienced adult mentor to teach you how to do it safely.

No problem with using black powder motors that someone else has made. If you're making motors yourself, it's a whole lot more dangerous. If you are making motors, please get an experienced adult mentor to teach you how to do it safely.

Just a note: Certified black powder motors are allowed at both NAR and Tripoli launches. Homemade black powder motors are not allowed at either, not even Tripoli Research Launches.

I believe another answer to your question is that Black powder is a powder. Whereas 'black powder' motors are a goo that's injected into the casing and becomes one solid lump. Its then denser, and burns at a slightly slower & more controlled rate.

Back