Size of ejection charges in Estes BP motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidshewitt

Reaction score
Anyone know how many grams of black powder are in the ejection charges of Estes black powder motors (13mm - 29mm)?

Do booster (-0) motors have a separate ejection charge or do they just burn through their propellant at the end? I think it's the latter, but I'm not sure.

The booster motors have a standard sized ejection charge, it goes off immediately after the propellant is done burning (meco). I was wrong, sorry.

Edit:
1694062227501.png

As for the size, I don't know. I ground test my LPR/MPR by: prepping the rocket for flight but I leave the motor out. Then holding the rocket horizontal I blow into the motor tube. If the rocket seperates and the recovery gear make it out I call it good.

Last edited:
The booster motors have a standard sized ejection charge, it goes off immediately after the propellant is done burning (meco).

As for the size, I don't know. I ground test my LPR/MPR by: prepping the rocket for flight but I leave the motor out. Then holding the rocket horizontal I blow into the motor tube. If the rocket seperates and the recovery gear make it out I call it good.
Booster motors dont have ejection or delay charges, what you see is the top of the fuel grain.

Search the forum there are threads on the sizes of the various motor makers ejection charges Estes is like .3grams for A-C or something like that and .5 grams for D motors.

With green and purple lable Estes motors what you get IS WHAT YOU GET! Shotgun to adequate to wimpy to none. Like Coach Prime you have to BELIEVE to fly ESTES BP motors! Do you believe? Save those receipts!

Last edited:
Estes booster motors have no ejection charge but the burn through provides enough heat and pressure that it CAN pop a loose and smaller diameter cone at speed.

If you are flying an oddroc abomination you can create a zero delay motor by putting a pinch of BP on top of the red lable booster motor propellant, then plugged off with some dog barf. THIS IS VERY NAUGHTY AND AGAINST THE CODE!

BEWARE: Since recent batches of E12 0 motors have had a tendency to CATO, such naughtiness can lead to exciting and disastrous results requiring the safety measures in place at a Tripoli research day.
FB_IMG_1626664247880.jpg
Purge the impure thoughts of zero delay booster ejection from your mind.
FB_IMG_1626664268856.jpg
Resist the dark arts!
FB_IMG_1626664261702.jpg
Never underestimate the power of an Estes CATO.

I wish you were my club RSO! Tell me more about this glove tip charge.
Take a rubber glove (like your doc/nurse/dentist/etc.) uses and cut off the finger tips. Pour your powder in it. I use dental floss and wrap around it several times to make a little ball and tie it off. Others use small rubber bands. Drop it on top of the motor. The motor will light the charge. Generally, we put an ematch in it, but not for your use. There is no need to contain the bundle. That is all I typically use with 100% success. Here is a video...just leave out the match.

Take a rubber glove (like your doc/nurse/dentist/etc.) uses and cut off the finger tips. Pour your powder in it. I use dental floss and wrap around it several times to make a little ball and tie it off. Others use small rubber bands. Drop it on top of the motor. The motor will light the charge. Generally, we put an ematch in it, but not for your use. There is no need to contain the bundle. That is all I typically use with 100% success. Here is a video...just leave out the match.

The rubber sheath seperates and protects the integrity of the motors exposed propellant surface, therefore no code violation! Never will the modifying explosive touch the pristine motor. Two entirely seperate components so no motor modification! Yes, I will use this argument to avoid sin and the required pennance at any non Tripoli Research launch. Free at last, free at last! :)

Now I have to find a way of getting around pouring the expoy plug in a red lable. No motor modifications, but they don't make E12 P or F15 P black lables I need. No more sinning. I must walk the straight and narrow path carrying the Pink Book firmly in hand. I am reformed.

The rubber sheath seperates and protects the integrity of the motors exposed propellant surface, therefore no code violation! Never will the modifying explosive touch the pristine motor. Two entirely seperate components so no motor modification! Yes, I will use this argument to avoid sin and the required pennance at any non Tripoli Research launch. Free at last, free at last! :)

Now I have to find a way of getting around pouring the expoy plug in a red lable. No motor modifications, but they don't make E12 P or F15 P black lables I need. No more sinning. I must walk the straight and narrow path carrying the Pink Book firmly in hand. I am reformed.
Definitely don't tape in a plug-shaped object. That would be terribly naughty.

Could a Jedi Master not cut a section of a spent motor casing and a circle of cardboard or plywood, glue them together, and pour epoxy into the resulting cup forming a replaceable bulkhead? If the master then uses a motor block pushed up by the diameter of the bulkhead, said bulkhead could be inserted with the epoxy plug facing the definitely-not-modified red label motor. The master could then tell the terrifying RSO that there was no research dark arts about his motor.

The only challenge to this is that the master would have to create his bulkheads consistently to use the motor block.

Daddyisabar....

You have mentioned Tripoli Research launches a couple times. You are aware there are no black powder research motors. It is another of many, many, stupid rules, but I believe it does exist. Someone correct me if I am wrong about the black powder motors.

Raythain's suggestion above is great.

Go Lone Wolf....YOU are then the RSO. You can argue with yourself.

Yeah, except you'll have no insurance (NAR), because you have not followed the rules.

Careful... you'll shoot your eye out.
I do not go through life afraid of my shadow. The vast majority of people flying rockets do not even know that NAR and Tripoli exist. The same goes for model aircraft and the AMA, as well as many other hobbies.

Daddyisabar....

You have mentioned Tripoli Research launches a couple times. You are aware there are no black powder research motors. It is another of many, many, stupid rules, but I believe it does exist. Someone correct me if I am wrong about the black powder motors.

There are NO research BP motors allowed at TRA research launches. Augmented ejection charges aren't exactly a motor mod IMO its ensuring that the rocket recovers safely.

Got any facts to back up those statements?
Dont really need any, most rockets are not sold to hobbyists like ourselves, they are sold a Hobby Lobby, LHS's, and other places to people who see them as toys, many people are shocked when I tell them there are clubs for rocketry hobbyists in the local area.

Could a Jedi Master not cut a section of a spent motor casing and a circle of cardboard or plywood, glue them together, and pour epoxy into the resulting cup forming a replaceable bulkhead? If the master then uses a motor block pushed up by the diameter of the bulkhead, said bulkhead could be inserted with the epoxy plug facing the definitely-not-modified red label motor. The master could then tell the terrifying RSO that there was no research dark arts about his motor.

The only challenge to this is that the master would have to create his bulkheads consistently to use the motor block.
Just plopping some epoxy on top is easier and I'm way too lazy for anything else. Usually don't have room for fancy bulkheads. Three ejection charges can be hard in a limited recovery area so a plugged one saves wear and tear. The Jedi Masters will never know.
IMG_20150908_110214465.jpg

Daddyisabar....

Not a Tripoli member yet so I haven't read thier rules. I just fly them there under NAR. Most clubs around here are both now. I think the only place for BP custom or modified motors would be at a pyro club. I once saw them banging away on their tailgates, making BP motors on site. Super cool. I guess the only way is to get your press and lexan blast defector.

In the end how much black powder is in your Estes BP motor's ejection cavity is what Maybell injected and pressed at that instant. Just be thankful you have a BP motor producer still in existence! If a Shotgun, Wimpy or None, just grit your teeth and take it! There is only one choice in America and that choice is ESTES! God Bless certification, monopolies, low cost QA, just in time shipping and non pyrogenic starters. Rules and Regulations to keep you safe and sound! ;)

Back