Ecee Thunder Monocoat/Coverite

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Any anyone tried covering their Edmonds gliders in either monocoat or covertie?

Just am thinking that this is a good looking bird, and would look even better under cover - so to speak.

I monokoted the elevator on mine.... I just couldn't get the adhesive strip supplied with the kit to hold! I have thought about doing the whole thing just to add a little (I know, very little) strength to the wings.

the only problem with monocote is that on a sunny day it will start to shrink and warp the wings or elevators it is best to go with the old-fashioned model airplane technique of tissue and a glue called "Dope" you can get it in better stocked model airplane shops.

I added tissue/dope to mine for strength (plan is low thrust, long burn F reload). It adds much more strength and less weight than Monokote. Mine looks like crap, though. Need more practice on tissue. Once the piston blow-out is repaired, she'll go back up.

Try using RC airplane CA hinge material instead of Edmonds' tape. My tape didn't last 2 flights.

YMMV
-Ken

Yup, had already planned on the r/c airplane hinges.

Not sure about the tissue/dope method, but may give it a shot. There used to be a stick on type of monocoat, but I forgot what it was called.

the thing with tissue/dope is that you absolutely HAVE to do it out side those fumes are REALLY bad, can't wait to see some pics.

Originally posted by new2hpr
I added tissue/dope to mine for strength (plan is low thrust, long burn F reload). It adds much more strength and less weight than Monokote. Mine looks like crap, though. Need more practice on tissue. Once the piston blow-out is repaired, she'll go back up.

Try using RC airplane CA hinge material instead of Edmonds' tape. My tape didn't last 2 flights.

YMMV
-Ken

Dont go to low of thrust I launched it on 2 D12-3 and E30-7. On the last flight with a D12-3 there was wind and it just started to go horizontal. The E30-7 was good but the delay was too long. Plus with the tissue and the dope it is adding some weight I would not try an E9 at all. I would go in a range of a F 20-30 range of motor it will give it a good lift. heres a link to it on the E30-7

https://www.jamesyawn.com/nefar9-9-06/glider-9-9-06.wmv

Mark

I also recommend using rail buttons if you have access to a rail since it is longer and and it wont flex as much as a rod will.

Mark

Originally posted by akpilot
There used to be a stick on type of monocoat, but I forgot what it was called.
It's called MonoKote Trim.

The tissue was applied with thinned dope and seems to add very little weight, but lots of strength.

All I've read says Monokote and trim Monokote look great, but add very little strength and lots of weight.

I won't be using an E9, as the motor block and clip I added won't allow. I planned on using the 24mm reload casing anyway. I've had great boosts on D12s, so I think the F12 blackjack load should be nice.

Now I just need to repair the front of the tube where the piston and exhaust hole blew out. Make sure you enlarge the hole!

-Ken

Back