DynaStar - Stonebreaker (#05028) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean B

Reaction score
My wife bought me this kit from Apogee for Fathers' Day last year. It's just now finished - it's been a slow building year.

I was really attracted to this Shrox design. The kit went together pretty well with a few exceptions. I papered the fins due to the poor-quality balsa - there were open areas in the grain that compromised their strength, I felt. My main complaint was that the nose cone did not fit well in the body tube. The NC's shoulder actually has a tapered shape that lets is wobble too much. That, and since my 2-year-old kind of squished the top end of the BT, required some reinforcement and fitting. I cut down a piece of BT-80, glued it into the top end of the BT, and sanded it to fit the tapered NC.

The rocket is finished with Rustoleum Pewter Gray enamel, with Gloss Black on the tip of the NC. I used an o-ring to make the separation line, masking below it (an idea I got from the forum). The graphics are peel-and-stick, which was a disappointment. I'm looking forward to flying it- D-12s up to E-20s, maybe. Except for its size, the Stone Breaker builds more like LP than MP.

Stone Bkr 3.jpg Stone Bkr 1.jpg Stone Bkr 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the DynaStar Stonebreaker (#05028) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the DynaStar Stonebreaker (#05028) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

DynaStar: Stonebreaker: #05028

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
DynaStar Stonebreaker (#05028) Basic Information.

dynastar.gif
DynaStar Mid-Power Model Rockets

MODEL NAME: DynaStar Also known as:

NUMBER: #05028

Introduced: 2004
Final Year:
Designer: Shrox

Type: Pseudo Ordnance
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 28.50" (72.39 cm)
Diameter: 2.22" (5.64 cm)
Span:
Weight: 4.90 oz (138.91 g)

Mfg. Description: Mid-power Kit with GREAT looks and Impressive Size! (DynaStar 2010 Web Ad)

Someday in the future, an asteroid or comet may threaten the destruction of the earth. Your urgent mission is to smash the asteroid to bits with the defender missile called the "Stonebreaker."

You'll find that the Stonebreaker is more than capable of completing this important mission. But to be safe, you might want to launch two or three of them — just to make sure.

The sleek design and minimum-drag nose cone allow this rocket to achieve fantastic altitudes on inexpensive rocket motors. Or you can put in an F21 motor, and watch it go to hyper-warp speeds.

The new Stonebreaker is a mid-power model rocket that is easy to build that was designed by Shrox. If you've built a model rocket before, you'll have no problems building this Skill Level-2 kit. It is straight-forward to assemble, and a breeze to decorate. The body is painted a light gray, and the tip of the nose is painted black. All the other decoration is done by applying the colorful self-adhesive decals.

Flying the rocket is even more fun than building it. Since it is a relatively large rocket, it is easy to load the rocket motor and the large plastic parachute.

When you push the launch button though, be ready for this rocket to leave the pad with noise and authority. It won't hesitate on the pad like other big rockets, it jumps into the air quite quickly. The reason is that it is a low-mass rocket that has a very clean shape. That makes it ultra-efficient for it's size. (Apogee 2012 Web Ad)

Editorial Note: Some time in 2012, the DynaStar web site ceased to be active. DynaStar is a subsidiary of Apogee Components. Apogee continued to advertise DynaStar Products.

Advertising Liveries

dynastar-stonebreaker%2005028-2010%20web.jpg
2010 DynaStar Web Ad
dynastar-stonebreaker%2005028-2012%20web%20apogee.jpg
2012 Apogee Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
My wife bought me this kit from Apogee for Fathers' Day last year. It's just now finished - it's been a slow building year.

I was really attracted to this Shrox design. The kit went together pretty well with a few exceptions. I papered the fins due to the poor-quality balsa - there were open areas in the grain that compromised their strength, I felt. My main complaint was that the nose cone did not fit well in the body tube. The NC's shoulder actually has a tapered shape that lets is wobble too much. That, and since my 2-year-old kind of squished the top end of the BT, required some reinforcement and fitting. I cut down a piece of BT-80, glued it into the top end of the BT, and sanded it to fit the tapered NC.

The rocket is finished with Rustoleum Pewter Gray enamel, with Gloss Black on the tip of the NC. I used an o-ring to make the separation line, masking below it (an idea I got from the forum). The graphics are peel-and-stick, which was a disappointment. I'm looking forward to flying it- D-12s up to E-20s, maybe. Except for its size, the Stone Breaker builds more like LP than MP.

View attachment 84463 View attachment 84461 View attachment 84462
Its sad that Apogee can't seem to get it "right" with these kits. You figure for what you pay you would at least get nose cones that fit and quality balsa. I like the design but they are way over priced for what you get. If you decide on building either the Snarky or Lexxjet let me know. I have some pre-cut laser pieces along with the instructions so you can scratch build the kits. I built the Snarky using all upgraded materials, such as body tubes, balsa nose cone and basswood wings and fins etc. I also have lite ply rings. If you're interested PM me. I'll work a fair price with you, basically just what I paid for the pieces, which wasn't much. You'll get a better flyer for a fraction less than if you bought from Apogee. With the Lexxjet shipped from Apogee you will probably pay over $80 for the kit.

Last edited:
Back