Dr. Zooch R-7 Soyuz Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you mind telling me how you painted the insides of the engines copper? Spray can? If so how did you keep it from getting on the other parts of the engine, lots of masking tape? Or did you brush paint the inside copper...?
Thanks for any response :)
I had to go back and read the thread, it's been a while.
The inside of the engines were brush painted with copper.

The best advice on this kit is to scan the strap-ons and witches hats. It may take over four tries to get it right.
You can always go back and print up more.

Have fun, this one is a challenge.

Make six boosters and do the R-7N version... N for "nuclear"...

The Soviets toyed with ideas for using nuclear upper stages on their rockets, just as we did. The R-7 would have needed the additional thrust of an extra pair of boosters with their RD-170's to get the thing off the pad though, since the nuclear stage would be much heavier than the typical kerosene powered upper stage. Korolev did some work on it and found it WAS feasible to do...

Later! OL JR :)

hcmbanjo...It looks like Jonrocket is using a picture of your Dr Zooch Soyuz on their ebay listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dr-Zooch-Russian-Soyuz-Scale-Model-Rocket-Kit-/181244690056?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2a33067e88

It's done!
The Alignment guide was used to glue the Second Stage to the Booster dowels. I used White Glue first with the Alignment Guide on. After it dried, I slid off the Alignement Guide and touched the joints with CA.

I had to go back and glue down two of the Witches Hats to the inside shroud.
Again, I made a small puddle of CA on my work board. I pushed the tip of the "Hat" against the shroud and touched the joint with the CA on a toothpick tip. Note the gap at the underside of the Witches Hats - None of my four matched up with the inside shroud.

The fins weren't a big problem. Since the shrouds were already painted, I scraped away a little of the paint where the fin would sit. White Glue was used with the "Double Glue" method.
After the glue dried, White Glue fillets were applied. White Glue will dry clear and flat, no gloss. If you really look, you can see the dried glue. For the most part, it's invisible on a flat finished model. I'll follow with a flat clear coat.

In the picture, you can't see the Launch Lugs, but they're on the other side. Two inline, short lugs on stand-offs above the booster shrouds.

Another great kit from Dr. Zooch. So far this has been the hardest to build.

Some tips:
Be patient with the Boosters and Witches Hats. I'd recommend scanning the sheets for making back-ups.
I've read the EMRR reviews, that parachute is a tight fit.
I thought the Interstage "Vs" would be the hardest part of the build. Not so - the Booster Shrouds took the most time.
That Testor Master Modeler Spray Paint was a great surprise. Good coverage and blend with previous coats. The small 3 oz. can is more than enough for a model this size.

Next project - The Zooch Saturn V.

hcmbanjo...It looks like Jonrocket is using a picture of your Dr Zooch Soyuz on their ebay listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dr-Zooch-Russian-Soyuz-Scale-Model-Rocket-Kit-/181244690056?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2a33067e88

No problem there!
I've known Roger and Bracha for years now. He simply asked permission to use the image and gives me name credit for the build.
There's a few vendors that "search and grab" (without giving credit) that need to stop using others work to make sales.

Latest posts

Back