Downsizing a chute?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
Let's say your rocket has a chute that is larger than it needs to be, and when you get to the field it is breezier than expected. I was wondering if in a pinch it's possible to shrink the chute, maybe tie or clamp the top down a bit. Of course the best thing is to replace the chute with a smaller one, or just not fly....

I have heard of reefing a parachute to "shrink" the chute. Another method could be having different sizes of parachutes on hand with quick link connectors, allowing you to chose what size is appropriate.

Two methods that I know of: Cutting a spill hole or reefing the shroud lines. I prefer reefing as it is not permanent. Tape or tie the lines shortening them and preventing the chute from fully opening. Some people sub a streamer on windy days. I have all my chutes on a snap swivel allowing easy substitution with a smaller chute or streamer. Another option to minimize wind drift is a JLCR, if your rocket is at least a BT-60 size diameter.

I have used the reefing method many times to limit drift on windy days. It does not work well with all chutes though. If the material is stiff it may not catch the airstream and inflate. I use a couple of wraps of masking tape about 2/3rds of the way up the lines, but it is very chute dependent. I grew up in SD where it is always windy so I got pretty good at it but it does take some experience to dial it in. I still use it a lot on smaller rockets but on larger ones (H and up typically) I try to use a chute that’s sized correctly.

Tony

Back