Downscale Estes Pro Patriot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Vrstal

Reaction score
This is a downscale scratch build of the Estes Pro Patriot. I downloaded the plans from JimZ's site and reduced the fins and Cr's by 85%.

The original kit has a 3" BT. My plans call for a 2.6, BT80.
Also the original uses a cluster of 4 D or E motors, I'm opting to go with 4-18mm C's.

Sofar I have most of the parts built...Fins, CR's, shroud, and motor mounts.

Here is a pic of the parts to date.

Now that's a good scale project, Marty.

Looks like ya got it pegged so far.

Cool!

sandman

Marty...
Did, by chance, you use a Executioner kit for the BT and NC? I thought about picking another kit up at HL at last weeks' sale but passed. Seems it would be a good one for this project. Looks great, by the way.

Very nice! Great quality on part fabrication...you do that all yourself?? I love the cluster, btw. The old Pro-Series Pat was neat-o.

Finally got the Patriot built and all painted enough for some pictures. I still have a few touch-up's to do. Also I need to balance it out before a test flight.

For those who are interested here's a lowdown on the parts.

BT-80...27.25"
NC-80K....Phoenix style
MMT....BT-20...4X6"
Fins....1/8th Balsa w/posterboard sheeting
CR's.....3/16 Sturdy Board..Foamboard
1/16 Basswood for very bottom CR
Motor Hooks...Made from old Wiper Blade
Recovery...3/8" Elastic and 18" Nylon Chute

Total Wt. w/o motors or being balanced is 10oz.

Here's a pic of the business end with 4-C6-3's installed.

That is PURDY!! Love it! How'd you do the fins so well? Lots of work with the sander? Post a flight pic!

Marv.....The fins are 1/8" Balsa. There is a center rib glued halfway at an angle. The posterboard sheeting was resized along with the fin templets to 85%. The sheeting gets glued all along the edges and to the center rib at the fold line.

Hope that helps.

Now martin it looks like a pro patriot built that pro patriot!:cool: Looks real good martin,You sure I did'nt make them fins.:rolleyes:

nice job Marty .
inside and out!...launch pic is a must!

Marty, Super Job...I gotta comment like everybody else on the fins...they look especially GREAT!

sandman

Back