Do you have a G-Wiz serial or USB interface? I need photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejpyle.mgb

Reaction score
Does anyone have a G-Wiz serial or USB interface for an MC 1.0 and an MC 2.0? Would you be willing to photograph it/them for me? With the objects long out of production, I'm wondering if it is possible to develop a schematic for personal use. I have both of these flight computers already, but need to be able to set them up properly.

I have one of each as well... here are pics of the USB interface. If you need tighter pics of something in particular, let me know.

20230926_194425.jpg20230926_194437.jpg20230926_194443.jpg20230926_194459.jpg20230926_194507.jpg20230926_194515.jpg

So much for my fever-dreams - the two main chips on the board are obsolete and my main supplier has 0 in stock. Why am I not surprised. Thanks for your help.

Robert Briody was the developer of the GWiz boards. They were excellent flight computers in their time. It's a shame he doesn't make them any longer.
I'm going to dust mine off and make some test flights with back up electronics to make sure they're both still functional.
If you post in the For Sale/Wanted forums, you might find someone with a USB interface they'd be willing to sell.

Cheers!

Ron

I *feel* like I had something that was a G-Wiz product that I got in a bulk purchase. I will look and see if is what you need. If so, I will let you know tomorrow. If I haven't posted by 7:00pm or so, please PM me to remind me to look for it!

Sandy.

Does anyone have a G-Wiz serial or USB interface for an MC 1.0 and an MC 2.0? Would you be willing to photograph it/them for me? With the objects long out of production, I'm wondering if it is possible to develop a schematic for personal use. I have both of these flight computers already, but need to be able to set them up properly.
So much for my fever-dreams - the two main chips on the board are obsolete and my main supplier has 0 in stock. Why am I not surprised. Thanks for your help.
Although the original chips are obsolete they’ve been replaced with more capable chips. FTDI cables are so ubiquitous that they are being counterfeited.
Figure out what functionality you need and design a new board (or possibly just come up with an adapter for one of the many FTDI cables that are available.

Although the original chips are obsolete they’ve been replaced with more capable chips. FTDI cables are so ubiquitous that they are being counterfeited.
Figure out what functionality you need and design a new board (or possibly just come up with an adapter for one of the many FTDI cables that are available.
I would look at something like this for starters:
HiLetgo FT232RL FTDI Mini USB to TTL Serial Converter Adapter Module 3.3V 5.5V FT232R Breakout FT232RL USB to Serial Mini USB to TTL Adapter Board for Arduino https://a.co/d/iENPU6Z

Steve - thanks for both of your posts - I need to interface with the legacy software through an older laptop, just to set the basic parameters, nothing fancy. Your second post intrigues me, as I am conceptualizing a Raspberry Pi-based atmospheric and magnetic field sensor package that would keep local ARC teams that I mentor engaged between May and September. That I could interface with personal legacy hardware (MC 1.0 and 2.0) would be a bonus.

I *feel* like I had something that was a G-Wiz product that I got in a bulk purchase. I will look and see if is what you need. If so, I will let you know tomorrow. If I haven't posted by 7:00pm or so, please PM me to remind me to look for it!

Sandy.
Sandy - thanks so much. If your "feelings" are manifested in reality, I would be most interested in a further discussion with you.

Steve - thanks for both of your posts - I need to interface with the legacy software through an older laptop, just to set the basic parameters, nothing fancy. Your second post intrigues me, as I am conceptualizing a Raspberry Pi-based atmospheric and magnetic field sensor package that would keep local ARC teams that I mentor engaged between May and September. That I could interface with personal legacy hardware (MC 1.0 and 2.0) would be a bonus.
Best of luck figuring this out. I know exactly where my G-Wiz altimeter is, but I doubt I can find the interface. I assume I had it because I always bought all the extras!

Yea, the two chips on the board in the photos have newer fully compatible replacement available.
The Serial to USB is the FT232 available in a number of packages.

The other chip, 93C46, is a serial EPROM. Again newer ones available.
Not sure what the EPROM is used for but it could be set-up parameters for the FT232.
These are easy to read out using FTDI's "FT Prog" utility (free download from their web site).

Sandy - thanks so much. If your "feelings" are manifested in reality, I would be most interested in a further discussion with you.
I had a G-Wiz LC800, but that was the only thing that said G-Wiz. There were a few items with serial connections, but they were from AltAcc. I imagine things got lost over the years before I got the stuff.

Good luck with your project!

Sandy.

I had a G-Wiz LC800, but that was the only thing that said G-Wiz. There were a few items with serial connections, but they were from AltAcc. I imagine things got lost over the years before I got the stuff.

Good luck with your project!

Sandy.
Thanks!

There was no separate serial interface for the MC 1.0; it just came with a ribbon cable with a DB9 connector. You would connect that to your computer's serial port using a null modem cable.

There was no separate serial interface for the MC 1.0; it just came with a ribbon cable with a DB9 connector. You would connect that to your computer's serial port using a null modem cable.
That is what I remember from ny MC 1.0. After three moves, I cannot find the cable, although I think that I found my null modem.

Back