Do you enjoy the building process?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. That's where the journey begins. Sure, it may cause unseen issues, but that's where the challenge is and to push your limits always. I enjoys flying too, but it starts with your ideas and know-how to build something you can be proud of.

SRP

Building is the Rocketry experience for me. I like flying but building is almost spiritual.

I love the building part, it's the painting parts that usually holds me up.;)

I may enjoy it more than the flying process. ;) Sounds like I'm not alone.

Nope, you are not alone. (The tag line says it all -- I'm a Builder 1st ...)

Of equal improtance to me is the design process. I enjoy the creative side of it. I also like the old classics, whether finding an old kit, or getting one of the newer clones, or cloning it myself, or getting a nice re-release, like the Estes Interceptors.

I too like the building process. I want to build so many old vintage rockets that I try to keep the building process as simple as possible.

Here's how I'd rank my enjoyment on various aspects of the hobby:
#1 - Helping kids getting into the hobby (or mentoring TARC teams)
#2 - Flying
#3 - Designing
#4 - Building
#5 - Rocket Prep (e.g., building reloadable motors, packing 'chutes, setting up electronics, etc.)

I enjoy building. Just not as much as the others.

Definitely the most fun is being around kids who are excited about it and helping them learn. If my kids were more into it, I'd build and fly much more often.

If it weren't for flying, I'd never design or build anything. While I like building unusual/unique models, I don't get much out of the craftmanship or artistic aspects of building.

I love the engineering aspect of rocketry. I love designing something that will accomplish some goals (e.g., "fly high" and "not get lost" are usually my main one). And it's always important for me to follow through by building the design, seeing how/if it performs and improving the design. I'm an engineer at heart.

Lately, I've really been growing tired of all the prep work. I've been doing more reloadables and electronics these days and it seems like I need to spend an hour or more just to fully prep an L1 dual deploy rocket.

Jim

Model building is itself a hobby; I have many friends who build only static display models and musuem models.
Building is really the only way we improve our skills and try to techniques. I absolutely Love the challange of figuring out ways to build a complex scale model that not only looks great on the stand but can fly and function as well.

For me the building process is a real chore, but the sense of satisfaction when it's done is the best fee-......I mean, second best feeling there is!

Of course there are always those moments that just strip your gears, like this weekend (Getting a beautiful black finish on my Executioner, then screwing the whole thing up while trying to do the silver accents!), but then you just have to back up, calm down, and figure out a way to make it right.

With every prject, I think I understand the guys at NASA a little better.....

I think there's not just "the building process". Part of it is planning, which I love to do, part of it is building, which I enjoy if things go right (more detail below), and finish, which I usually don't bother to do.

I'm an engineering student and contrary to popular belief I like to put to practice what I learn. The problem is most of the theory we learn can't be applied to rockets, and a lot of trouble I have with my rockets can't be solved by what you learn at Uni. But there's always the experience of others that you can count on. So I spend a lot of time thinking up projects in their basic dimensions and simming a lot, and every now and then I decide to build a rocket, which means I have to get into detail on the planning.

I hate construction when I don't have an exact plan; since I don't have that much experience in construction I would have to spend a lot of time during the building process making up my mind on how to solve little problems -- another factor is that I try to do something new (electronics, MPR/HPR multi-stage etc.) on every rocket and improve on things I did wrong/badly on past projects (notably motor retention...). What I don't like about construction either is when I realize I lack the right tools to do something. Ok, making good ogive nosecones is something very tough, so it's usually outsourced, but making body tubes and CRs in custom dimensions from scratch should be doable. So I try to get my hands on tools, jigs and machines that allow me to do the job well.

A rocket to me is something technical which should work well in the first place (<- engineering ;-), good looks come second. So I usually don't bother finishing a rocket since I don't even get around to building much.

Oliver

I like building almost as much as flying them.

I have a couple buddies that I fly with. They are not quite as skilled as I am (or patient) with the build process.

Frequently I'll build a rocket, then trade them for their unbuilt rocket (same model).

I like building almost as much as flying them.

I have a couple buddies that I fly with. They are not quite as skilled as I am (or patient) with the build process.

Frequently I'll build a rocket, then trade them for their unbuilt rocket (same model).

I like your signiture...hits home.

Johnnie

[...]
Ok, making good ogive nosecones is something very tough, so it's usually outsourced, but making body tubes and CRs in custom dimensions from scratch should be doable. So I try to get my hands on tools, jigs and machines that allow me to do the job well.

Oliver

When I was about 14, I made my first nose cones. I glued dowels into a balsa block, and turned them on an electric drill clamped to a stepstool -- my first lathe! I think centering rings are pretty easy, and body tubes would be the most challenging. Unless you really need a custom size, ther are plenty of great tube choices. I would encorage you to try making your own nose conesl. I made nose cones for Estes tubes up to BT-60, and certainly turning a nose cone for a larger HPR model would be more difficult, but the results are very satisfying. Plus, you have something that is different, and unique. If you have a machine shop at school, maybe you could try getting some time on a lathe to make a nose cone.

You haven't seen the quality of the balsa nosecones that guy makes. They have to be stored in bubble plastic and glassed immediately so as not to damage them ;-)

We have a lathe in our aeromodeling shop at Uni, but I haven't gotten around to get myself introduced to that machine (I did turn a few things just before studying, which is 6 years ago now). I may try that.

I tried glass-balsa-sandwich tubes lately, but they didn't turn out perfect. My next try will be half tubes in a negative "mold" cut from styrofoam (we have a CNC styrofoam cutting machine) and vacuumed, then pieced together. I will open a separate thread on that method once I tried it. This may also work for bigger fiberglass tubes for HPR rockets.

Oliver

Building is my second most favorite part of rocketry, flying being my most favorite. Building gives me something to do on those days that happen to be boring or even if I have a few spare minutes. It's peaceful too.

I'm one of those guys that likes building more than flying (but I certainly enjoy flying too). What I like the most is creating and building original designs then watching them roar into the sky on their maiden flight. Even better than that is to see my designs being built, flown, and enjoyed by others.

In my early years in the hobby (early 70's) it was not uncommon for me to build rockets that never flew, but just sat around looking pretty, gathing dust and taking up space in my room. I would put so much time an effort into making them "perfect" that I didn't want to fly them and get 'em scratched and/or dented, blackened, and smelling like burnt rocket motors.

Today, I still tend to spend too much time making them look nice, but now I never build something that I don't expect to fly. I'm always dissapointed when they get battle scars, but dang it they were meant to fly!

Happy New Year,
Steely

If the model is built but not meant to fly, then it's no longer a "model rocket."
Just a "model." There's a stark difference between the two....

I LOOOOOVE building. Especially the more complicated things, and modifying the kit. I recently finished (well, mostly finished....still got some wiring to do and some holes to drill) building a Nuke Pro Maxx that I stretched 10 inches with my first altimeter bay. It was nerve wracking, but alot of fun, and the feeling of finishing that rocket was spectacular.

Nope, not at all! It's the worst aspect of model rocketry! Getting glue/epoxy all over your fingers, clothes, hair and in your nose! And then there is all that sanding and sealing and sanding and sealing and-oh thats the finishing phase!:eek: Then there is this thing of getting everything lined up 'just so'..I hate it! Really I do! I mean it's like your building a MODEL or something!

And if you believe that, I got a bridge I can sell you! Real cheep! :D I enjoy the build process. I get great satisfaction out of taking a bag of parts and turning those same parts into something! Though at times it may get tedious..Currently I am in the midst of working on 2 rockets(2??? thats a first!..lol) But am kind of stalled right now..Waiting on my 30 min epoxy to get here so I can continue :) But, yeah, overall I enjoy the building process...

Building? hey man! That IS the fun part. I mean, you go to launch your rocket, and if it isn't built right- It won't work!
In my case, I create the majority of my models form cardstock. The designs, many time are my own scale models, or designs I make just for flying. So, until I see them actually fly, I never know if they'll work or not. BUT- I also know that if I've done all my math, cad drawings, and parts designing correctly, than the model will work. I often find the actual launching an anti-climatic event for me, but still exciting, as I not only have the pride, and sometimes SMUG emotions, but my CURRENT prettier half loves pressing my, er-THE button!:)

AX'E

Building, yes. Finishing, not so much. Launching yes. Fixing recovery problems, not so much.

Design and build are the enjoyable parts of the hobby - flying is only design validation (but I do enjoy a good flight ;))

I like building rockets better than launching them but they don't seam finished to me until they have been loose on there own :D

Building is my way of "getting away from it all" but there are parts I do hate. I am not too fond of the entire finishing process but for me it is something that has to be done. I love flying them but only to see if they do what I expect. Did I get it right?

Planning and daydreaming are an important part of the allure for me as well and this goes beyond just the rockets themselves. I have great ideas (at least they seem that way at the time) for motors, pads, controllers, club organizations and enjoy thinking about how I would do it if I got to be king. Trying to actually put some of these into practice is also good for humbling the ego as well.

For me, its the whole thing. All the parts are needed but I enjoy some much better than others. I could do with a lot less sanding.... I could do with a lot less explaining to the wife about why I am so taken with this hobby... but I'm willing to do all these things because the sum of them makes it worthwhile.

You know...I MUST enjoy the building process...cause I have built a LOT of rockets and have flown NONE in 6 months...:mad:

Our club will hopefully have a launch next month and I'll get my fix then. I have a HPR flight planned on my custom built 3" LOC Patriot on an H180W. I also plan on sending up my BT80 Mosquito, BT60 Mosquito, 36DD, and a few more of which I'll choose later.

I enjoy the entire process except for larger projects that require epoxy fillets. I hate it when the time comes to do the fillets.

What I enjoy most is making all the parts from scratch, and fiberglassing the tubes. I love to just stand back and admire my work and thinking to myself, Wow, I made that.

...Fudd

You know...I MUST enjoy the building process...cause I have built a LOT of rockets and have flown NONE in 6 months...:mad:

Lol, you're not alone. It's been 14+ months for me.:rolleyes: But that's going to change in February, for sure.:D

I spend a whole lot more time building than I do flying, .. because If I can't be out flying I need to build something .. keeps me going.
so the designing/building/finishing phase is a huge part of the hobby for me.

but nothing beats being with friends at a launch and just having a good time. sometimes I will only manage to launch a few because I enjoy hanging out ,talking rockets and all that stuff.

thats probably why I spend too much time here, it's in my blood ! the wife calls it an obsession.

I had a launch in December but it will be spring probably until I fly again. But I have a few that will be coming together about then :D I think I only made it to 3 launches last summer but They where really good times. I would like to make this one better. I have seen quite a few good projects from others for this season coming up :flute: Spring is fit and finish time!

I really enjoy building. My 6 year old son and I make an evening event out of it... we watch some sci fi or space movies while we work and just take our time.

One thing that took the "chore" out of it for me was taking the view that they don't have to be perfect... becoming comfortable with a little grain showing here and there, not being afraid to let the fact show that it is made out of paper and balsa.

I love spending some time sanding a nose nicely smooth, shaping fins and filling spirals. About the only thing I "don't enjoy" so much is applying sanding sealer, but I love to feel the results under my fingertips when I get through it.

Back