Display Rocket-I think not!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dipstick

Reaction score
So on a trip to the local hobby shop over the winter, the owner gave me a display rocket he had received from a supplier.

After pulling it out, turns out it was designed to hang with a poster. I thought, it's a shame to only be display, so I cut off the "offending" pieces, did some cutting and sanding, made some epoxy and display rocket only is flightworthy!IMG_20200714_173442.jpg
The parts

IMG_20200714_173314.jpg
Notice the cool screw on retainer which actually functions like one...

Homemade coupler and bulkhead with kevlar recovery attachment.
IMG_20200714_172130.jpg

And the finished, fairly heavy, rocket. It is 31" long with a bt-60 diameter.

Will fly on 18mm motors when I can as that saves me from having to make a motor mount.

IMG_20200714_173245.jpg

Nifty! I don't believe I have ever heard of the existence of the "Display Rocket".

Will fly on 18mm motors when I can as that saves me from having to make a motor mount.
Sounds like Quest-Jet or Aerotech D territory....

You say it's fairly heavy? What is the all-up weight? Compare that to the initial and max thrust for 18mm motors you have access to. You want a minimum of a 5:1 thrust ratio. (Remember motor thrust is normally given in Newtons, so you have to convert that to pounds, then to ounces). Alternatively, do you have access to Rocksim?

Well, I finally flew the Display Only. The C6-3 was barely enough, it was stable off a long launch rod but just. Once the new C5 trickles up here to Canada I will have a motor for it, but the 18mm D's will be the best load now.

Screenshot_20200815_205625_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Back