Developing a throttle system for solid rocket motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That guy is one smart cookie, but still I think it is dumb to try to diminish the performance of a perfectly good motor. For the most part in this hobby it seems that the higher or faster the rocket goes the better.

That guy is one smart cookie, but still I think it is dumb to try to diminish the performance of a perfectly good motor. For the most part in this hobby it seems that the higher or faster the rocket goes the better.

I trust you are being facetious?

I trust you are being facetious?

Yes. What I should say is that I think it is a waste of his talent, time and resources on something that most likely would not even be allowed in the hobby due to being a fire hazard. I guess he is trying because it is hard to do, and for his personal satisfaction. Gimbaled thrust, now that's cool.

Yes. What I should say is that I think it is a waste of his talent, time and resources on something that most likely would not even be allowed in the hobby due to being a fire hazard. I guess he is trying because it is hard to do, and for his personal satisfaction. Gimbaled thrust, now that's cool.
He flies a FAR, where they also fly liquid rockets and things much more "concerning" than G motors with thrust blockers. "The hobby" would also likely frown upon trying to land rockets using motors as they descend.

Experimental rockets are experimental for a reason and that's the same reason he's not making his test flights at NARCON.

Braden

He flies a FAR, where they also fly liquid rockets and things much more "concerning" than G motors with thrust blockers. "The hobby" would also likely frown upon trying to land rockets using motors as they descend.

Experimental rockets are experimental for a reason and that's the same reason he's not making his test flights at NARCON.
Beyond that, his foundational powered-landing test flights in Tennessee were on the greenest grass I've ever seen, the envy of poor drought-starved Texans like me. :D

Also of note, while Joe is one of the pioneers - and thus one of the figureheads - of model rocket thrust vector control, he's far from the only one working in the field, and whoever finally brings a reliable product to market, I suspect one day we'll all awake to find a JLCR-like sea-change of commercially available TVC systems that may not land propulsively but will allow scale modelers to dispense with transparent fins.

Also of note, while Joe is one of the pioneers - and thus one of the figureheads - of model rocket thrust vector control, he's far from the only one working in the field, and whoever finally brings a reliable product to market, I suspect one day we'll all awake to find a JLCR-like sea-change of commercially available TVC systems that may not land propulsively but will allow scale modelers to dispense with transparent fins.
Joe has actually done a few small production runs of his Signal flight computer. I believe that someone used it in a really neat Atlas V scale model a few years ago.

Joe has actually done a few small production runs of his Signal flight computer. I believe that someone used it in a really neat Atlas V scale model a few years ago.

There was also this use of Joe's Thrust Vector Control assembly featured in a recent issue of Sport Rocketry:

Sport Rocketry_BPS_TVC.jpg

Latest posts

Back