Designing a fast aerodynamic rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketeer123

Reaction score
Hello. I want to use Open Rocket to design a fast, light, and skinny rocket that uses a D motor (I could change my mind and use a different motor depending on the design). What I need help on is understanding what characteristics of a rocket allow it to be fast. Are there any 'secret' things I could do with objects like fins to make the rocked go faster. Thanks.

(This is my first post, I'm new.)

If you want a good in-depth discussion of these topics, there's a couple of chapters in the "Handbook of Model Rocketry" that cover aerodynamics and designing for performance, it's worth a look.

When sorting through advice, the number one thing to pay attention to is the difference between subsonic, transonic, and supersonic. If you're using a D engine you only care about subsonic because you won't get anything close to supersonic speeds. The rules for good performance at supersonic speed are very different than subsonic, and if you design a subsonic rocket using rules for supersonic flight you will get OK but not great results.

Roughly in order from most important to least important, here are some tips:
  • round the leading edge and taper the trailing edge of your fins to form a smooth airfoil cross-section. fins with square edges have much more drag than ones that have been shaped.
  • have a good smooth surface finish. If you're using balsa fins prime or seal and sand them smooth. Microscale roughness of the rocket surfaces dramatically increases drag.
  • Use a minimum diameter body, that is make the rocket body the same diameter as the engine. Going one tube size up roughly doubles the drag on your rocket.
  • put good smooth fillets on your fin roots. A smooth transition between the body and fins reduces drag.
  • Use fins of elliptical or clipped delta shape, without much backwards sweep. Make the fins just slightly bigger than is needed to keep the rocket stable. Three fins is more efficient than four.
  • An elliptical nose with at least 3:1 length to width ratio is ideal. Notice that this is pretty low on the list, however. A lot of ink has been spilled on the ideal nose shape, but for subsonic rockets it's far from your biggest concern.
  • Launch lugs add drag, if you're really serious consider making a piston launcher instead of using a launch rod. They're a pain in the butt, however, so only do this if you're really serious about getting the last few percent of performance.
If you're trying for maximum speed, lighter is always better. If you're trying for maximum altitude, there's actually an optimum weight for your rocket that you can find through simulation -- it's almost as light as you can make it but not quite...

If you want a good in-depth discussion of these topics, there's a couple of chapters in the "Handbook of Model Rocketry" that cover aerodynamics and designing for performance, it's worth a look.

When sorting through advice, the number one thing to pay attention to is the difference between subsonic, transonic, and supersonic. If you're using a D engine you only care about subsonic because you won't get anything close to supersonic speeds. The rules for good performance at supersonic speed are very different than subsonic, and if you design a subsonic rocket using rules for supersonic flight you will get OK but not great results.

Roughly in order from most important to least important, here are some tips:
  • round the leading edge and taper the trailing edge of your fins to form a smooth airfoil cross-section. fins with square edges have much more drag than ones that have been shaped.
  • have a good smooth surface finish. If you're using balsa fins prime or seal and sand them smooth. Microscale roughness of the rocket surfaces dramatically increases drag.
  • Use a minimum diameter body, that is make the rocket body the same diameter as the engine. Going one tube size up roughly doubles the drag on your rocket.
  • put good smooth fillets on your fin roots. A smooth transition between the body and fins reduces drag.
  • Use fins of elliptical or clipped delta shape, without much backwards sweep. Make the fins just slightly bigger than is needed to keep the rocket stable. Three fins is more efficient than four.
  • An elliptical nose with at least 3:1 length to width ratio is ideal. Notice that this is pretty low on the list, however. A lot of ink has been spilled on the ideal nose shape, but for subsonic rockets it's far from your biggest concern.
  • Launch lugs add drag, if you're really serious consider making a piston launcher instead of using a launch rod. They're a pain in the butt, however, so only do this if you're really serious about getting the last few percent of performance.
If you're trying for maximum speed, lighter is always better. If you're trying for maximum altitude, there's actually an optimum weight for your rocket that you can find through simulation -- it's almost as light as you can make it but not quite...

Well said.

I would also add:
  • make the fins as thin as possible. 1/16" ply or 'paper' some Styrofoam or balsa.. Look at the 'techniques' forum for papering fins
  • You can also make your own tubes, form light-weight materials. Look at the 'contest' forum for making your own tubes.
  • fly it nakid.. no paint.

Well said.

I would also add:
  • make the fins as thin as possible. 1/16" ply or 'paper' some Styrofoam or balsa.. Look at the 'techniques' forum for papering fins
  • You can also make your own tubes, form light-weight materials. Look at the 'contest' forum for making your own tubes.
  • fly it nakid.. no paint.
Totally disagree on the "no paint" idea. A mirror-finish paint job (like a Nathan build) is WAY less draggy than raw cardboard/FG/CF/whatever.

A rocket optimized for velocity (or is it altitude you're shooting for?) will be minimum diameter, so through-the-wall is not possible.

What is your level of experience?

I have built high power rockets before with L1 cert and have done dual deployment and designed my own low power rockets before

OK good. In that case, you want a minimum diameter rocket with von Karman nose cone and a polished finish. 3 fins, as thin as possible and airfoiled, surface-mounted (out of necessity.) I think clipped-delta fins are pretty commonly used on high-performance rockets.

And then use OpenRocket to help optimize (Tools->Rocket Optimization).

Conical nosecone.
An elliptical nose with at least 3:1 length to width ratio is ideal. Notice that this is pretty low on the list, however. A lot of ink has been spilled on the ideal nose shape, but for subsonic rockets it's far from your biggest concern.
Conical nose cones have the highest drag of any commonly used shape.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the rules are very different for subsonic and trans- or supersonic. For the latter a conical nose cone is good. For subsonic, an elliptical nose is much better, as nose cones go. Von Karmin is better yet, as others have said, but also, as Jeff said, the nose cone is far from the most important factor. So on the question of Von Karmin vs. long elliptical, I suspect you're not looking at the last percent of speed but rather at the last tenth of a percent.

That's a pretty good approximation for an ideal airfoil. If you're still after that last tenth of a percent, it should be curved all the way, like a symmetrical airplane wing.

Also, tapering the fins so they are thinner at the tip than they are at the root helps even more. Make the airfoil profile the same all the way out except for scaling down as you go, in chord and thickness together.
Which means, you can get lower drag with an 18 mm tube than a 24 mm one. Since you want to use a D motor, go with an 18 mm composite, like the Q-Jet D20. Of all that I'm adding here, this is the most important bit. Realistically, this is the only important bit that I'm adding.

EDIT:
Aerotech 18mm D24T
I was ninjad by this. I thought all of the 18 mm motors with the Arotech brand were discontinued to make room for the Q-Jets. Yeah, the D24 sure looks like the way to go. The D21 is also better than the D20, so use whichever you can get. (See graph at the bottom).​
There is an ideal fillet size. I don't remember what it is, but it's smaller than you probably think visually.
Another option is fly away rail guides. That requires launching off of a rail, and it's probably not as good as a piston, but it's surely better than carrying a launch lug along, and it's easier than a piston.
If you're trying for maximum speed, lighter is always better. If you're trying for maximum altitude, there's actually an optimum weight for your rocket that you can find through simulation
And just to amplify that a little, drag is always your enemy either way.

Totally disagree on the "no paint" idea. A mirror-finish paint job (like a Nathan build) is WAY less draggy than raw cardboard/FG/CF/whatever.
Don't do a pretty paint scheme or any decals. Filler primer, sand smooth, then gloss clear coat.

Or you could just borrow/modify Tim Van Milligan’s competition style design for his Frit kit - the RocSim file link is on the online catalog page
And speaking of Tim, there was a series of Peak of Flight articles a couple three years back about building super light. He used a home made composite body tube made from epoxy and a single layer of tissue paper, I kid you not.

1617051266147.png

Last edited:
Elliptical is easy. Anyone who sells nose cones will have some. A lot of people like eRockets and Balsa Machining Service. But really, anywhere.

Von Karmin is harder. To the best of my knowledge no one sells them. I know Apogee doesn't sell them, and Tim told me that he does not know of enyone that does.

I'm sure there 3D printable designs on Thingaverse, but they're probably heavy. What one might do, if one has access to the right tech, is print one that's just a tiny bit small using a water soluble filament (yes, they exist) and use it as a form for a super light composite layup then wash it out.

Got it. I just did a very quick design with a C6-0 motor on Open Rocket. I still had a parachute and everything and used Estes electipcal nose cone and a body tube. I used all the advice with minimum diameter body tube, elliptical nose cone, clipped delta shape fins (without rounded leading edges or anything like that, I don't know if you can do that in Open Rocket).
The rocket went around 310 mph on a C6-0 and around 500 feet high. It's around 17 inches high. Is this normal usually mine go around 150mph

Got it. I just did a very quick design with a C6-0 motor on Open Rocket. I still had a parachute and everything and used Estes electipcal nose cone and a body tube. I used all the advice with minimum diameter body tube, elliptical nose cone, clipped delta shape fins (without rounded leading edges or anything like that, I don't know if you can do that in Open Rocket).
1617054095893.png
The rocket went around 310 mph on a C6-0 and around 500 feet high. It's around 17 inches high. Is this normal usually mine go around 150mph
Doesn't sound unreasonable. Also set delay properly for a C6-7 and see how much higher it'll go. Also try Q-jets (you'll need to add the thrust curves to OR for those).

1. Why a C6-0?
2. A streamer would be lighter than a parachute. Since you're building super light, a streamer should be fine.
3. 17 inches seems overly tall, which means an overly heavy body tube. A fairly typical L/D for a "normal looking" rocket is around 10. Since this is minimum diameter for an 18 mm engine, you could probably make it about 180 mm (about 7 inches) tall. Making it taller, generally means you can get away with smaller fins, but my mindsim says that 17 inches is probably excessive.

Fiddle with the design, changing the length, changing the fin size to keep the stability margin at your target number, and watching the results. There will be an optimum. I may be all wet, but I bet it's well under 17 inches, maybe around 10 to 12 inches. If you've already done all that, and if 17 inches really is the optimum, don't worry about it; I've got my own towels.

4. By the way, what is you target static margin? Obviously, the smaller it is the lighter and less draggy you can make the rocket (because the fins a smaller) so the smaller the margin you feel comfortable with the better. Me, I usually like to design for about 1.5 or better, and if going for maximum speed I'd pucker up my backside and come down to 1.1. My opinion should not sway you until others weigh in as well.

I just did a very quick design with a C6-0 motor on Open Rocket.... The rocket went around 310 mph on a C6-0 and around 500 feet high.
Doesn't sound unreasonable. Also set delay properly for a C6-7 and see how much higher it'll go. Also try Q-jets (you'll need to add the thrust curves to OR for those).
Come to think of it, 500 feet on a -0 sounds really impressive.

Yeah I changed it to 6 second delay Ill fiddle with the streamer and the body tube length

Right now my static margin 1.3 I'm aiming for around that number maybe more towards 1.5

Back