Delta IV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, I am starting to get that uneasy feeling about giving away my child.....
Carl, Carl, Carl... First rule of scale building: ALWAYS build more than
one prototype.

That looks pretty sweet! Did you model a scale crack in the concrete too? ;)

Carl, Carl, Carl... First rule of scale building: ALWAYS build more than
one prototype.

That looks pretty sweet! Did you model a scale crack in the concrete too? ;)

yep I hear you...I do have parts for another flyable or display model...well I do have some cracks in it, the launch table model is made of bassword/balsa/ply...actually on the real launch table the crack was in the steel underneight all of the ablative material. The ablative is good for insulating the Hot engine gases, but not so well on cryrogenics.

Last edited:
Well today was going to be the 20th and final flight on my first Heavy build prior to prototyping a kit version.

Countdown 5..4..3..2..1...-...-....- No Joy.

Appears an electrical issue scrubbed this launch. The 5 AH 12 V Battery has never failed me before or I have a relay issue, although you could hear the relay engage when the launch button was pushed.

The 20th and last flight will have to wait a couple of weekends it appears.

Here it was ready to go...... :eek:

Delta IV Heavy - 24mm - 9-20-09-sm.jpg

Well today was going to be the 20th and final flight on my first Heavy build prior to prototyping a kit version.

Appears an electrical issue scrubbed this launch. The 5 AH 12 V Battery has never failed me before or I have a relay issue, although you could hear the relay engage when the launch button was pushed.

Your going to kit it! Sweet I'd love to pick up one or two.

Thanks.....It will probably be around Christmas by the time I get everything together... I'll have a vendor do the distribution for me.

Update: My launch system failure turned out to be a bad 12V battery. It only reads ~9 Volts, with minimal current output. I knew I should have taken my backup...ratz!!

Last edited:
Thanks.....It will probably be around Christmas by the time I get everything together... I'll have a vendor do the distribution for me.

Update: My launch system failure turned out to be a bad 12V battery. It only reads ~9 Volts, with minimal current output. I knew I should have taken my backup...ratz!!

I'll be watching for those to come out.

And 9 volts thats a bad battery for sure, thats what happened to the motorcycle battery I was using one of the cell was half empty and topping it off didn't help it so I bought a jumpstarter from harbor freight.If that would have happened to me out in the field I just would have pulled my car battery and used that for a few launches.

Kit? Did you say.........kit??? :cheers:

I believe they are BT 80 and motors are D12's in the boosters and an E9 for the sustainer.

Correct....D12-3's in the strap-ons and a E9-4 in the core. This bird requires ballast in the Payload Section.....there actually is a reason to have a payload. I will do a bunch of test flights with my altimeter with slightly differing ballast (CP to CG) configs to ensure my current bird's great flying characteristics are maintained.

An example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSVjOT1Y45U

Correct....D12-3's in the strap-ons and a E9-4 in the core. This bird requires ballast in the Payload Section.....there actually is a reason to have a payload. I will do a bunch of test flights with my altimeter with slightly differing ballast (CP to CG) configs to ensure my current bird's great flying characteristics are maintained.

An example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSVjOT1Y45U[/QUOTE

When I built my very semi scale Delta IV Heavy it needed about an ounce and a half of nose weight to be stable on 2 D12's and an E9 I didn't buil;t it with a payload bay though I just epoxied washers onto the nosecone.

An example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSVjOT1Y45U
How can you call them CBC's if they use different motors???
:eek: :eyepop: :y:

:p

Those are great videos, btw, just great!

How can you call them CBC's if they use different motors???
:eek: :eyepop: :y:

:p

Those are great videos, btw, just great!

Got me on that one... ;) But in reality, the outboards are mostly at full throttle and separate early whereas the core is at a reduced thrust level and burn longer...so I kind of mimic the real thing, wouldn't you say? :p

Thanks, if you go to https://www.payloadbay.com/gallery/v/rock/2009-05-02/?g2_page=7 Roger also has some great shots of it on the ROCK photo pages.

Hey, Delta-IV, can I ask why the motors are so far to the rear in your Heavy model? Do the engines (bells) on the real Delta 4 Heavy extend so far back, and is that why the motors on your model do?

That is a fantastic looking rocket, btw. Any idea, even a very rough one, what a price might be if/when you kit it?

Hey, Delta-IV, can I ask why the motors are so far to the rear in your Heavy model? Do the engines (bells) on the real Delta 4 Heavy extend so far back, and is that why the motors on your model do?

That is a fantastic looking rocket, btw. Any idea, even a very rough one, what a price might be if/when you kit it?

Yes, on the real Delta IV, the engine bell is very aft, the tail cone covers all of the prop plumbing, ect. and since the diameter of the motors is so close to the dia of the engine bells that is why. (See attached photo)

For my larger HPR version I bought aluminum bell shaped retainers and it gets the motors a bit more forward and a even a more scale look.

Right now very rough would be about $100, still trying to get some better prices on a bulk order. There are a lot of parts so keep that in mind with nose cones and nylon parachutes being the highest cost parts (3 each). I am thinking of offering an economy version with less detailed exterior parts and no chutes.

Delta4arrival_4.jpg

Yes, on the real Delta IV, the engine bell is very aft, the tail cone covers all of the prop plumbing, ect. and since the diameter of the motors is so close to the dia of the engine bells that is why. (See attached photo)
That's a photo I have not seen before. Would you have others that you could share or provide a link to?

That's a photo I have not seen before. Would you have others that you could share or provide a link to?
Amen! What color is the engine bell? I haven't seen any pictures with the red protective cover removed. Online pics of the RS-68 in the test stand show various colors.

For my larger HPR version I bought aluminum bell shaped retainers and it gets the motors a bit more forward and a even a more scale look.

Right now very rough would be about $100, still trying to get some better prices on a bulk order. There are a lot of parts so keep that in mind with nose cones and nylon parachutes being the highest cost parts (3 each). I am thinking of offering an economy version with less detailed exterior parts and no chutes.

Possible caption for attached pic:

"Of course it's a MODEL rocket dear!!! Yes, it'll fit in the garage, I swear."

Any updates on a possible kit? This is one rocket that I would love to add to my small (but ever growing) fleet :)

Any updates on a possible kit? This is one rocket that I would love to add to my small (but ever growing) fleet :)

Kit prototype under construction. I will also offer a Delta IV Medium as well, it will be cheaper and with option of having captive or separating smaller boosters.

Same for the heavy, some may not want to risk the ignition timing, etc...but IMHO seeing them separate is what's its all about.

Any word on how the kiting process is coming alone on the delta IV's?

Progress is being made, I ran into a bit of a problem....Work. Also our fall vacation 1st of Novemeber took us to Brazil for over a week.

I am going to make two models, a Delta IV Medium in the 5+4 version and a Heavy. Builders can decide on two things for each model.

Heavy -- 1. Captive or Separating Booster 2. Highly Detailed or simulated details on wraps.

Medium -- 1. Highly Detailed or simulated details on wraps 2. Captive or Separating boosters ( I recommend captive, these are small enough that they can be easily lost, I lost two).

Back