Dedicated Stereo/Audio/Video thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. Thought I'd jump into this forum since I'm not building any rockets this week (month?)

When I was in my 20's I was hung up on tube amps for a while. I thought they were totally cool. And I said. "Someday I'm gonna get me one"

I'm old, retired, and needed something to do. Now I have the money for that. HA

This is it... my kit. So far.
300B Class A from China via eBay. No instructions. Just the schematic.

Put the power supply together. It was popping the fuse when the tube went in so I ripped out the filter section today. Make it a little cleaner, maybe even fix the short when I put it back.

One picture there is what it will look like in the future.
Cool, see the Audio DIY thread here. Then we you get it finished and listen for a while we can discuss tweaks for it.

Try this sometime, take your speakers and put them in front of your chair maybe only 12" in front of each corner, in front of the armrest and listen to your speakers. as this eliminates most all of the room interaction of the speakers. years ago at the 2013 CES show there was a guy that had a system where it was a reclining chair, and there were swing away armrest and when you set in the chair, you pulled the speakers from back where your elbows were, to up in front of you, as they pivoted right into the very front edge. That put the speakers about 3 ft away from your ears and all he had was some Audio Engine mini monitors and the sound was spectacular. I went home and tried it with my Epicure 3.0 speakers and the same great results.
There is another trick that demonstrates a similar effect. Cup your ears while listening and the energy and imaging gets spectacular. Similar effect.

near field setup where the listening position is a equilateral triangle vertex from the speaker position. I have heard of this but never tried it.

That's surprising.

I always start equilateral or as close as possible, toed-in, be aware of room modes. Adjust listening distance, look out for a sweet spot, then adjust speaker separation outwards, then toe-in, then listening position again. Iterate and enjoy the process.

There is another trick that demonstrates a similar effect. Cup your ears while listening and the energy and imaging gets spectacular. Similar effect.

Have you ever tried the partition trick to eliminate crosstalk?

Is that an Yggy I see? What gen? (I love me some good Schiit. I got a pile of Schiit, myself.)
It is! It's the Less is More flavor. It's the most recent gen before they moved to the new box.

I was fortunate enough to be able to audition a few DACs in with my system and the Yggy sounded best. It's was also about half the price of most of the others, which seems to be Schitt's thing. Not that the other DACs were bad, they just didn't jive in my system.

That's surprising.

I always start equilateral or as close as possible, toed-in, be aware of room modes. Adjust listening distance, look out for a sweet spot, then adjust speaker separation outwards, then toe-in, then listening position again. Iterate and enjoy the process.
I have always done a triangle, but thought equillateral was just too close to the speakers.
Have you ever tried the partition trick to eliminate crosstalk?
No but I have tried ambiosonic crosstalk cancellation with MiniDSP. It was spectacular but I did not like the coloration of the MiniDSP units. I wonder why no DAC offerings have offered this? It would be easy in an FPGA.

rjlgrwA.jpg

Started a mild clean up of my Design Acoustic PS-10a speakers. I use them for the rear surrounds in the Living Room. But I did see that on Ebay that a pair sold for $250.00 in June. I doubt that I would ever get that much, even with new surrounds and good cosmetics.

Man I don't have anything anymore. All my stuff was flood damaged ornits in storage right now. I had an Alumnipro 12" Bandpass box too and Planet Hollywood 800 watt ano just for that. I bought that back in 2002, well the amo still works and fries subs. Lol, I had a JBL in it but that went too. I mean it took a few years for each to go I like my stuff loud, but it did. Also a good Samsung TV and other things, Playstations, I really want a 5, might as well wait for 6.

Back