Dedicated Stereo/Audio/Video thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Vifa tweeter was used in some classic designs, and the Eton mid-bass driver has one of the flattest response curves ever.

I have a pair of Focal 5N412DB’s that are crazy flat on axis. A matched pair, bought when new.

That D27 is pretty flat on axis, too!
I’m thinking the two are reasonably well matched if a low crossover point can be tolerated. I don’t think I have a tweeter that’s better suited.

The cabinet is another story… and I’m curious to see what the guy did for a filter. Parts are decent DIY-quality stuff. Maybe time to move this to the DIY thread.

Sweet! That combo should be a really fun listening experience. Enjoy

At least it will be cool to look at!

My sons new 2-way speakers that will be available in kit form with a 6 1/2" bass driver, he just heard them 10 minutes ago and is beyond pumped up over how great they sound:
uNM0cpl.jpg

VfJAANR.jpg

Last edited:
My sons new 2-way speakers that will be available in kit form with a 6 1/2" bass driver, he just heard them 10 minutes ago and is beyond pumped up over how great they sound:
uNM0cpl.jpg

VfJAANR.jpg
Just out of curiosity, what will the going price for the pair be?

Wait, what?

Hobie, are you or your son speaker manufacturers?
I took him to lots of stereo shops when he was in junior high and high school and college days to listen/expose him to as much High End stereo as possible. I was making speakers/subwoofers all during that time using commercial drivers. I went to LA and met a speaker design engineer and told him about Nick wanting to design his own audiophile car subwoofer. In college they designed his first driver. That was 15 years ago. His tweeter, midrange, mid/bass, shallow mount 12" woofer, and the regular series of woofers 12", 15", 18", and the big-A$$ 24" driver which has over 4 1/2" of travel. Sound Quality car audio competitors use most of his components. The goal was always to have his own pair of home speakers that would kill most of the speakers out there, especially for the price.

Posted by the owner of a cool little audio store here in Portland:
Anyone interested????

"I’ve owned a hi-fi store for 33 years and loved every minute of it, but I am ready to retire. If you, a group of your buddies or a stereo company wants to lease a 4200 square ft. bldg on the west coast with more hi-if than you can imagine and the ability to sell anything quickly, efficiently and discretely, just email [email protected]. You get everything: the store with $200k of inventory, the website and a turn-key, used + new hi-fi business on a busy street with plenty of parking. I'm in perfect health and just want to play pickleball, golf, cards in the middle of the day, travel, learn languages and volunteer. The price is 1.75 mil (less than our gross annual sales) and you'll get the keys to this terrific shop with no debt + $200k of inventory/tubes/huge customer base/full repair facilities, parts, etc. Send a brief message about how you will steward this successful company and I will respond to the lucky winner with P&L, taxes, etc by Sept 1st. Only genuine offers will receive a response."

The price is 1.75 mil (less than our gross annual sales) and you'll get the keys to this terrific shop with no debt + $200k of inventory/tubes/huge customer base/full repair facilities, parts, etc. Send a brief message about how you will steward this successful company and I will respond to the lucky winner with P&L, taxes, etc by Sept 1st. Only genuine offers will receive a response."
That's a lot of money to come up with, but sounds like they have good sales.

uNM0cpl.jpg
I got the measurements for the speaker towers that my son is going to have made for me, and it will have his 8 inch woofer and tweeter for a two way tower. He had a guy in Florida make him some custom cabinets that were more the size of bookshelf speaker using his 6 1/2 in woofer and his Tweeter that sounds unbelievably good, world class. Pictures of his 2-way with the 6 1/2" drivers above.
They will be 3.5 cu.ft. each and -3 @ 30HZ

one of my sons customers visited him and said this:
"I Heard something absolutely crazy this weekend. Finally got back to Nicks to get HT wrapped up and I heard something that blew me and my son away.
We sat back and started listening to some tunes and playing favorite tracks and it was crazy. The low end was strong and the high end was spot on. I was watching the 24s but they were not moving.
Then we were told they only thing on was the m25/tm65 top section of the towers Charles Keen made.
The room was pressurized and you could feel it in the couch.
Mind you, Not like when the subs are fully on and full tilt but at normal listening levels I was stunned. I have not heard a half tower/ stand alone tower sound like that.
We all got a laugh. I tried my best to get my son to distract Nick so I could sneak out the towers but to no avail. Lol."
And it is a 6.5. I can’t imagine what the tm8 would do in a home speaker set up.
Also, I was corrected. The m25 will mate up perfectly fine with the tm8. I’m getting ready to change mine out. Woohoo!!!!
Still amazed and trying to figure out how I can get a pair of those speaker cabinets from keen for my own coming up ht install.
Added pics of the speakers Charles keen built. Crazy good!!!!!

Last edited:
Upgrade - long time coming......
Started the process with the CES announcement of the QD-OLED TV's coming....time for an upgrade.
Love my LG OLED but it's a RGBW matrix which is annoying and the QD-OLED's was my tech-of-choice I've been waiting to come to market. The plan was to be ready for Black Friday sales and move from a 65" to 77" or maybe 83" but issues with low-level response (where the eye is most sensitive) have cooled my jets for the TV upgrade.

Part two of the upgrade was to upgrade the center speaker. I love the Revel speakers, but the C205 is a compromised design to fit in 20-inch space and the stuffing it in a box really killed the sound. I bought the C208 to replace it, but that needed a new cabinet it took planning. Finally, I got it all sorted and started that part of the project with the plan so when the time comes the TV upgrade is quick and easy. I just finished the audio upgrade.

The sound upgrade has four parts:
- Ditch the cabinet what was the cave holding my Revel C205 center.
- Ditch the C205 and get a C208
- Move the one sub out of the corner and move both inboard of the "display towers" my wife loves.
- Back the center and sub's with sound absorbing panels to reduce back reflections.

This involved a custom rack I built out of 2020 aluminum extrusion parts to put all the gear in the minimum volume in the corner.
Plus a "wall" of six acoustic absorption panels mounted to a 2020 frame that fills the gap between the towers and does a good job hiding all the wires and outlets on the wall.

SOUND CLARITY OF THE DIALOG IS 1000% IMPROVED!
Here is the before and after photos:

Before:
OldHT.jpg

After:
NewHT.jpg

Denon 4700 AVR
Revel F206 L&R
Revel C208 C
SVS SB-3000 Subs
B&W In-Wall Surrounds

Last edited:
I love it, I love it all, but check the temp of that Denon. That whole line runs hot.

In any case enjoy! The SVS's must be especially fun ":^)

but check the temp of that Denon.
Thanks

The Denon is happier in this rack than the cabinet.
There is no floor under the Denon - just two 2020 rails supporting it - so the bottom gets all the air it wants.
The sides of the new cabinet are black rubber-coated metal mesh which lets air flow.
The back is completely open.
So way more air than before and no temp issues.

Upgrade - long time coming......
Started the process with the CES announcement of the QD-OLED TV's coming....time for an upgrade.
Love my LG OLED but it's a RGBW matrix which is annoying and the QD-OLED's was my tech-of-choice I've been waiting to come to market. The plan was to be ready for Black Friday sales and move from a 65" to 77" or maybe 83" but issues with low-level response (where the eye is most sensitive) have cooled my jets for the TV upgrade.

Part two of the upgrade was to upgrade the center speaker. I love the Revel speakers, but the C205 is a compromised design to fit in 20-inch space and the stuffing it in a box really killed the sound. I bought the C208 to replace it, but that needed a new cabinet it took planning. Finally, I got it all sorted and started that part of the project with the plan so when the time comes the TV upgrade is quick and easy. I just finished the audio upgrade.

The sound upgrade has four parts:
- Ditch the cabinet what was the cave holding my Revel C205 center.
- Ditch the C205 and get a C208
- Move the one sub out of the corner and move both inboard of the "display towers" my wife loves.
- Back the center and sub's with sound absorbing panels to reduce back reflections.

This involved a custom rack I built out of 2020 aluminum extrusion parts to put all the gear in the minimum volume in the corner.
Plus a "wall" of six acoustic absorption panels mounted to a 2020 frame that fills the gap between the towers and does a good job hiding all the wires and outlets on the wall.

After:
View attachment 599249

Denon 4700 AVR
Revel F206 L&R
Revel C208 C
SVS SB-3000 Subs
B&W In-Wall Surrounds
Thanks for the pictures

Lets talk about speaker placement. Cardas has suggestions here, I am not sure I buy the Golden Ratio stuff but he recommends near field setup where the listening position is a equilateral triangle vertex from the speaker position. I have heard of this but never tried it. Tonight I did and I like it. I thought there would be a 'hole in the middle' but the soundstage was very nice. Obviously this is a one-person listener setup. Your thoughts.

Best thing I can suggest for speaker placement is try different things and pick the one that sounds best for you.

Different speakers will want different placement. I have a pair of Magnepans. They want to be out from the wall a certain distance and toed in towards the listening position. They need reflective, not absorptive, surfaces behind them. When placed right, the sound is magical. When not placed right, trash.

Lets talk about speaker placement. Cardas has suggestions here, I am not sure I buy the Golden Ratio stuff but he recommends near field setup where the listening position is a equilateral triangle vertex from the speaker position. I have heard of this but never tried it. Tonight I did and I like it. I thought there would be a 'hole in the middle' but the soundstage was very nice. Obviously this is a one-person listener setup. Your thoughts.
Try this sometime, take your speakers and put them in front of your chair maybe only 12" in front of each corner, in front of the armrest and listen to your speakers. as this eliminates most all of the room interaction of the speakers. years ago at the 2013 CES show there was a guy that had a system where it was a reclining chair, and there were swing away armrest and when you set in the chair, you pulled the speakers from back where your elbows were, to up in front of you, as they pivoted right into the very front edge. That put the speakers about 3 ft away from your ears and all he had was some Audio Engine mini monitors and the sound was spectacular. I went home and tried it with my Epicure 3.0 speakers and the same great results.

Hi. Thought I'd jump into this forum since I'm not building any rockets this week (month?)

When I was in my 20's I was hung up on tube amps for a while. I thought they were totally cool. And I said. "Someday I'm gonna get me one"

I'm old, retired, and needed something to do. Now I have the money for that. HA

This is it... my kit. So far.
300B Class A from China via eBay. No instructions. Just the schematic.

Put the power supply together. It was popping the fuse when the tube went in so I ripped out the filter section today. Make it a little cleaner, maybe even fix the short when I put it back.

One picture there is what it will look like in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 71470792139__E67B5AF6-F207-432E-B7FB-672BA9E9001C.jpg
    71470792139__E67B5AF6-F207-432E-B7FB-672BA9E9001C.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 71451927510__29958E62-170E-40CE-8CB6-480C0A974C9F.jpg
    71451927510__29958E62-170E-40CE-8CB6-480C0A974C9F.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 0
Back