Dedicated Stereo/Audio/Video thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew a guy that built his own house in the Country, and he built the basement as a tuned subwoofer, with his home theater built over it, with magnaplanars in a 7.1 setup, using Macintosh poweramps to run everything.

I knew a guy that built his own house in the Country, and he built the basement as a tuned subwoofer, with his home theater built over it, with magnaplanars in a 7.1 setup, using Macintosh poweramps to run everything.
GmEIdNY.jpg

7hQvtSD.jpg

Regretfully, my wife has an actual auditory response to deep bass (i.e. migraine in moments, brings earplugs to movie theater, etc.), so my audio experience is limited.

Back in the day, I had a pair of mid-level Velodyne consumer junk, but it was OK at the time. I liked the idea of servo subs, but couldn't afford anything. I built a Parts Express 1000w plate amp/ whatever they called the sub at the time (aluminum cone, more xmax than I had ever seen) and when I went to measure it had the gains up way too far. As soon as the sweep started, I panic'd and started trying to shut it down, but it took a few seconds. It was being done outside and 5 houses worth of neighbors (and disapproving wife) were outside in 10 seconds, wondering what the heck just happened. . .I gave that sub to a co-worker. It was finished in Amboya (sp) veneer and was my best woodworking to date at the time. . . :(

I do find that the older I get, the less I appreciate a good quiet system. Chest thump doesn't change over time, but perception of the most of the spectrum (not just high's, IMO) regretfully declines. . .

Not saying I am against a good system and really need to finish my Pearl Phono preamps, but I think my hearing is declining at a higher rate than my build speed. . .

Sandy.

That article was what set him on that path! He kept it on the coffee table, lol.
I set him up with a 4 channel Reel to reel system; quadraphonic was a big deal for a moment in the 70's
In the 80's what you had was hi-fi VHS or laserdisk, until cd's were released.
I need to look him up, I'd love to watch the matrix in his theater!

Not quite, as with a horn tuning frequency of 17hz, he has almost nothing at 12hz, so his sub is completely incapable of reproducing the 7hz dinosaur stomps in Jurrasic Lunch, or the 3 and 4hz information in the Earthquake movie, or the extensive list of the low frequencies that are in the major movies found on the AVS Forum. if you can't produce 3hz in your room, then you have failed.

"Earthquake!! in Sensurround!"! ,lol.
Dude bought that laserdisk, which was pretty much it for sub channels, without a sound processor to create one. And that stuff was all analog and pricy.

Not quite, as with a horn tuning frequency of 17hz, he has almost nothing at 12hz, so his sub is completely incapable of reproducing the 7hz dinosaur stomps in Jurrasic Lunch, or the 3 and 4hz information in the Earthquake movie, or the extensive list of the low frequencies that are in the major movies found on the AVS Forum. if you can't produce 3hz in your room, then you have failed.

Marty: DO NOT PLAY THIS ON YOUR SYSTEM!!! You might not even want to play it at all, as I doubt it is up your alley as far as music goes, but for a fact, if 3Hz is required, then I have failed.

Crowbar: "I have failed" (early in the sludge metal scene but don't take much credit). Link has profanity. And its metal. Play at your own risk. There is likely no 3Hz content, but even if there was, I wouldn't know. All other disclaimers used in the history of man are additionally invoked in the proper order to minimize judgement and possibly other unforeseen consequences. This is, after all, audio related, and is therefore a more touchy subject than glue.

I prefer more recent concert versions than the original EP, but I still love the original EP. Personally, the song 'Self Inflicted' [edit: I forgot about 'All I had I gave. . . tough choice. . . ] off that album is my favorite, but I have others out of their collection I like for sure.

Anyway, when you said 'if . . . .you have failed' that was the first song I thought of and am now listening to a Crowbar show from Waken on youtube, so I can simply say 'Thank You'. Hadn't played them for a while, but should have.

Sandy.

I'm frustrated; I've been recording albums today, and if I listen while I record, I can see feedback in the recording.
I need to rebuild the setup I made in one of my first apartments, that hung the turntable from the ceiling, with a series of rubberbands and raquetballs. :) I have some tungsten bars now, I can skip the concrete this time. :)

Any suggestions? There has to be a better solution by now. Of course, a lot fewer people have turntables.

pre-Covid guys from all over came to Asheville, NC for a "Bass Get Together" event each year, based on the AVS forum. They had a calibrated mic (down to 1 hz) placed out in the room, hooked up to a laptop that would show all the frequencies, bandwidth, intensity, spl, etc. so accurate measurements could be taken and screen shot so that people who could not make the event could see what different subs produced. It shut up a lot of armchair/internet sub engineers that refused to believe the sub 10hz information put out into the room.

I'm frustrated; I've been recording albums today, and if I listen while I record, I can see feedback in the recording.
I need to rebuild the setup I made in one of my first apartments, that hung the turntable from the ceiling, with a series of rubberbands and raquetballs. :) I have some tungsten bars now, I can skip the concrete this time. :)

Any suggestions? There has to be a better solution by now. Of course, a lot fewer people have turntables.
Hanging it from the ceiling by 60 pound test fishing line works. You can use a nice butcher block piece to set the turntable on. Make sure your dust cover is removed as they usually are a big source of rumble. What turntable do you have? and cartridge?

I see Marty replied above with a suggestion of using fishing line, but in all fairness, why don't you just leave the amp off while recording? If the goal is to get a clean recording, then turning off the source of noise seems easy. Honestly curious, not judging - I could be missing the issue. I haven't done much analog transfer and the one or two times I did, quality wasn't the main goal.

Sandy.

I have a Technics SL-B3 turntable, with a shure M93, with a n-93ed stylus. I'm doing my recording on a laptop, with a really nice sound setup.
I broke the tabs on the dust cover 30 or so years ago, so it gets set aside. I need to order a new one,and the reinforcing kit. :)

Leaving the amp off, or using headphones is what I've been doing.
I'm recording to flac files, that way I don't lose anything until I convert to a final format. MP3 is horrible for good sound. :)

You might not even want to play it at all, as I doubt it is up your alley as far as music goes

Crowbar: "I have failed" (early in the sludge metal scene but don't take much credit).

That's exactly what I expected his voice to sound like after seeing his picture. :eek: But at age 65, I've never heard anything that bad so far in this life. I couldn't detect a melody. But it also didn't have any bass below 35 hz or so.:(

That's exactly what I expected his voice to sound like after seeing his picture. :eek: But at age 65, I've never heard anything that bad so far in this life. I couldn't detect a melody. But it also didn't have any bass below 35 hz or so.:(

THAT's the beauty of art vs. audio that I believe should exist. We both agree that great reproduction is ideal (audio) but we can both agree to disagree about the merit of the art or the meaning.

If you played that on your system this time of night, you might get ejected from the US, but as long as I play it on my headphones at night, I offend nobody. True, I wish I could play it full range at times. . .

Yep, it is gross noise to many, but I do hope to meet Kirk and gang sooner than later and can thank him for helping me through times that were tough. One man's noise is another man's hope. I imagine we agree in principle, even though the example might be a hard sell.

Either way, I think we both agree you shouldn't have played it on your system!!!!

Sandy.

THAT's the beauty of art vs. audio that I believe should exist. We both agree that great reproduction is ideal (audio) but we can both agree to disagree about the merit of the art or the meaning.

Either way, I think we both agree you shouldn't have played it on your system!!!!

Sandy.
I have my Periodic Audio earbuds in tonight.

We also had a local NC headphone meet every year before Covid hit. It was great fun to walk into a room with 100+ of the worlds best models and get to listen to all of them.

I wish I still had my Pioneer headphones I had in hs; I fed them 30 watts out of my Pioneer receiver, and they lasted for years. They did not live thru metallica, however.

[PSA] I think I'm glad I didn't have headphones when I was young, as I would have damaged my ears more and earlier. I actually feel bad for the current generation who can do real damage when they are young and invincible, whereas during my time, someone in the house would yell "Shut that OFF!!!" or similar, where as today the young and invincible can do huge amounts of damage with nobody knowing. [/PSA off]

[PSA back on again] Audiophiles should ensure the ears of the young are being treated well. Damage done young is bad. Once you're old enough to go to drag races, concerts etc., knowing you're doing damage but not caring, your friends should help, but before then, audiophiles need to. I am mid late 40's and 2 of my friends who were more into concerts than drag racing have been wearing hearing aids for more than a decade. I'm starting to go south now, but plenty of people my age can hear pretty decent. Protect the young. . . they know not what they will miss. I didn't. [/PSA off again]

Anyway, my first concert was 'the bangles' (high-school date issue, not by choice!). My second was the Atlanta leg of the GnR/Metallica tour when GnR wasn't allowed to play in Atlanta due to !whatever! and James was just getting back on stage after a pyro incident and was singing but not playing due to his arm injury. None of this meant anything to me the night before the show, but the years after, that was what set my standard for rock concerts. I've seen many more, many better, many I'd rather see again, but none that shaped me as my first 'real' rock show (sorry Bangles, that didn't work out. . . ).

So, I doubt this thread should diverge and I sure as heck don't want to be the guy that side-tracked it, but Metallica influenced a group of people. Jimi did as well. Elvis had a small part to play for some and even some lady named Adelle apparently made a few people like music more.

Audio reproduction is really amazing, because a hundred years ago, you had to be there to hear it - now we can argue about bit-depth on Youtube. While experiencing it in person 'full send' is totally better, watching/listening to a recording on a good system is still soooo much better than previous generations had.

That's cool.

Sandy.

Just for fun, given that Tim, Marty & Grog6 are talking/posting pics of insane subs, an honest question is: Given 2018 technology (before the world turned off axis) is a sealed servo sub logical for a person in a 'normal' home where the rooms are wrong, the floors are wrong, the neighbors are too close etc.?

I cop to the fact that I bought into the 'small subs are fast' and the 'sealed subs are tight' mentality in my 20's, but now I firmly believe that systems are systems and bad assumptions are good sales techniques. . .

My specific application would be a small bedroom, full of furniture (bed, end tables etc.) with just paths in a 'U' shape around the bed hard up against the other wall. System at the bottom of the 'U'. Seems fairly damped due to furniture, but listening position is laying in bed. Given my wife's bass issue and the fact that we need a guest room, this is going to be my 'listening room' for quite a while and the bed isn't optional.

My current plan is to finish the Pearls, figure out if I like the PassDIY or JLH/DIY amps better (and/or keep both) and enjoy some vinyl when able. Having said that, I think a bit of sub will matter and if it is too much sub, it will be confiscated!

I don't have a valid option to get a real listening room, so maximizing my fun/DIY/listening, is ideal. I like to tinker and the concept of a servo sub seems smart, even if the technology was a mile off back in 2000. I think the technology might be closer today than it was before. I haven't been researching audio for a long time, so all thoughts might be dumb. . .

Sandy.

I was watching a rocket video that kicked off a flashback. When I was in college in '77-'78, I worked at a high-end audio store (don't dare call it a "stereo"). We had some of the best equipment in the world for sale. One of the ways they would demo the gear was by playing records. One of the best I heard (and what kicked off the way-back machine tonight) was an album by Thelma Houston, on the Sheffield Labs label. The Sheffield Labs stuff was mastered directly to disc, no mix-down, cutting, or dubbing on tape (this was YEARS before digital!). Even listening to it with (crappy!) headphones via YouTube, it still sounds pretty good.

I was watching a rocket video that kicked off a flashback. When I was in college in '77-'78, I worked at a high-end audio store (don't dare call it a "stereo"). We had some of the best equipment in the world for sale. One of the ways they would demo the gear was by playing records. One of the best I heard (and what kicked off the way-back machine tonight) was an album by Thelma Houston, on the Sheffield Labs label. The Sheffield Labs stuff was mastered directly to disc, no mix-down, cutting, or dubbing on tape (this was YEARS before digital!). Even listening to it with (crappy!) headphones via YouTube, it still sounds pretty good.

I've got a Mint condition Lp of that, and I need to play it now that the bugs are out of the stereo.

Just for fun, given that Tim, Marty & Grog6 are talking/posting pics of insane subs, an honest question is: Given 2018 technology (before the world turned off axis) is a sealed servo sub logical for a person in a 'normal' home where the rooms are wrong, the floors are wrong, the neighbors are too close etc.?

I cop to the fact that I bought into the 'small subs are fast' and the 'sealed subs are tight' mentality in my 20's

My current plan is to finish the Pearls, figure out if I like the PassDIY or JLH/DIY amps better (and/or keep both) and enjoy some vinyl when able. Having said that, I think a bit of sub will matter and if it is too much sub, it will be confiscated!

I like to tinker and the concept of a servo sub seems smart,

Everyone with tube gear needs to realize 70% of all tubes come from one factory in Russia :eek:
but servo subs are a deterrent to producing low frequencies. The lower the sub is asked to produce, the more it restricts the travel of the driver to protect it from being driven beyond it's limited travel, so it gives you even LESS bass. Sure, it has less distortion, but it ends up just being a woofer, not a SUBwoofer. It's better to get a sub that has a long throw driver in it that won't bottom out easily. My son did all the warranty work for Velodyne and the complex circuitry has its share of failures, and not easily fixed as complex as it is. But for a low spl level install in a bedroom system, any small sub will do. Just stay away from Klipsch subs, I made the mistake of buying a used one and it was the boomiest POS I've ever heard (think high school kid with obnoxious car stereo).
My favorites are: Definitive Technology, Mirage, M&K, Paradigm, Sunfire, Focal.

Ported boxes make boomy subs; they extend the low bass, and really sound crappy to me.
My 2500W Alpine-based stereo in the Cougar has a 12" sealed sub, and it sounds great with any type of music.
I listen to pretty much everything, so that's important to me.
My tv setup has a small, sealed 12" sub that sounds great for whatever.

Ported boxes make boomy subs; they extend the low bass, and really sound crappy to me.
built and tried most of all of the different alignments -sealed, ported, transmission line, horn, aperiodic, isobaric, open baffle, compression line loading. building a small sealed box in a .707 alignment, usually gives you the best sound quality available.

Back