Dedicated Stereo/Audio/Video thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yamamoto
UILsQ6y.jpg

Here’s my contribution. I haven’t looked to see what year it was made. Back in the early ’80’s, I took the drive all apart because the spring would not tension to make the drive work. Found the spring to crank lever pin had been broken from over zealous winding. Probably from little kids (not me or my brother, probably a generation before). So I made a new pin on the crank rod to grab the spring.
F74F592C-B13A-40A3-A36B-4C6C5290BC2F.jpegADC1F6FF-F443-44D1-A017-85840CECB880.jpeg04CA536A-37F0-410B-99A8-369B1A37CC25.jpeg4D844C15-492F-4D57-8B64-3D86082A2313.jpegA591DE55-6E87-4852-A4F6-3CEA7FF8DA1F.jpeg747C640F-829D-497F-8598-F7F54FD0DCFE.jpeg

Edit: Just looked it up on the Victor-Victrola site. It appears by SN that mine is a late-ish 1912. :)

Last edited:
Here’s my contribution. I haven’t looked to see what year it was made. Back in the early ’80’s, I took the drive all apart because the spring would not tension to make the drive work. Found the spring to crank lever pin had been broken from over zealous winding. Probably from little kids (not me or my brother, probably a generation before).
View attachment 479621View attachment 479622View attachment 479623View attachment 479624View attachment 479625View attachment 479626

Were you able to repair it and use it? I imagine it would only rarely get used (Christmas etc.) but I think it would be cool to hear.

Beautiful workmanship as you said.

Sandy.

Were you able to repair it and use it? I imagine it would only rarely get used (Christmas etc.) but I think it would be cool to hear.

Beautiful workmanship as you said.

Sandy.

Oops. Edited my original post.
Yeah, I fixed the problem. Probably not as good as original, but it wound the spring.

Yes, last I knew, it’s fully functional. I haven’t wound it in probably 20 years.
I have steel and bamboo needles for it and a whole weird selection of single sided records. Looking at the Victor site it looks like it was made in 1912. I’m guessing Oak as the wood, but some of the website pictures mine resemble walnut. So not sure.

The sound architecture of Utopia III has been preserved, to reduce harmonic distortion in the fragile mid-range register, which is so very crucial for revealing the artist’s emotions. Both loudspeakers are equipped with the very latest Focal innovations: the NIC (Neutral Inductance Circuit) and the TMD suspension. The entire crossover system on the new speaker drivers has been redesigned. The rigidity of the Grande Utopia EM Evo cabinet has been improved using reinforcement rings positioned around the speaker drivers. The cabinet consists of pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in a direct line with the panametric fan. The latter consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzlevanes, so fitted to the ambifacient lunar waneshaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented.

Last edited:
I have a stack of Schiit.

No! Really! My current setup consists of:
1) Schiit Sol (discontinued) turntable
2) Goldring E3 cartridge
3) Schiit Mani Phonostage
4) Schiit SYS passive switch/preamp
5) Schiit Modi 3+ DAC
6) Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp and Preamp
7) Raspberry Pi 3B+ with HiFiBerry Digi+ I/O and 7" touchscreen running Volumio
8) Yamaha rx-595 in pass-through (no preamp) mode. (Will be replaced with Akitika GT-102 Z4 when I get the funds together.)
9) Pair of Boston Acoustics VR-20s. (Will be replaced with Magnepan LRS after the Akitika is put into service.)

Seriously considering stepping up to a MC cartridge. Maybe a DL-103 with the cap mod. Already have ordered the cap, just haven't ordered the DL-103. Then, there's also the Sumiko Blue Point 2 and it's upgrade. Decisions, decisions...

I got my Definitive Technology BP2000 speakers back from my son and put them back in my garage system, one on each side of the 6ft wide Tanker Desk. They are about 2 ft from the wall so that the rear 6 speakers can bounce off of it producing a big Wall of Sound. Having (2) 15" woofers, each powered by a 500 watt amp helps and a good improvement over the Mirage BPS-400 subwoofer I just sold...got $300 out of it. Even though this is in a 1 car garage, I'm likely going to replace my rear Solus I/O speakers with some Def tech smaller towers. At this point in my life I want to finish up with having a Big-Ass sound...everywhere.

My winter project is building a set of these Troels Graveson designs (http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Faital-3WC-15.htm)
I needed a high efficiency (96db/watt) to go with my SE 1625 tube amp I buiilt last winter. They sound ok with my Merlins but only a polite listening levels. The 15" woofer (Faital) and midragne (18Sound) are pr0 drivers. The tweeter is a SBA Satori which is sposed to sound very good. Not very pretty to look at but I too want big sound (with a tiny amp).

Faital-3WC-15_final_1.jpg

Last edited:
My winter project is building a set of these Troels Graveson designs (http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Faital-3WC-15.htm)
I needed a high efficiency (96db/watt) to go with my SE 1625 tube amp I buiilt last winter. They sound ok with my Merlins but only a polite listening levels. The 15" woofer (Faital) and midragne (18Sound) are pr0 drivers. The tweeter is a SBA Satori which is sposed to sound very good. Not very pretty to look at but I too want big sound (with a tiny amp).

View attachment 498227

I hope you'll report back when they're done!

Back