DD newbie question: Multiple DD altimeters or share just one.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhein

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently gotten into DD. I pretty much use 3 different diameter rockets, 2.6, 3 and 4 inch. I currently have one MissileWorks RC3. I have one rocket that needs all 3 channels. My original goal was to share this one altimeter between all my rockets. Mounting and remounting the altimeter has its risks and rewards (cheaper!). What is the general consensus? Get a DD altimeter for each rocket size or share?

thanks
Jim

I used to move my alt between rockets but with Eggtimer stuff being so cheap, I buy a new electronics bay and Eggtimer for each rocket now. It's always there and configured for that rocket. Only thing I have to worry about it making sure the battery is charged and then connecting my deployment charges.

I used to move my alt between rockets but with Eggtimer stuff being so cheap, I buy a new electronics bay and Eggtimer for each rocket now. It's always there and configured for that rocket. Only thing I have to worry about it making sure the battery is charged and then connecting my deployment charges.
+1. I started with one RRC3 as you did then started acquiring altimeters for either dedicated rockets or for standardized avbays which I currently have in BT80, and T300 (Estes 3").

I have a Raven3 and a Stratologger that my rockets just share, but I usually take my time handling them carefully and getting them configured in the days leading up to a launch rather than at the field. So far I haven't flown more than two different dual-deploy rockets in the same day so it's worked out fine. Keep in mind that if you go for Level 3, you're going to need two altimeters (primary and backup) and it's best for them to be different brands/models.

Instead of mounting and remounting the alts to the boards, why not just transfer the board between rockets? You can drill a few small holes and use zip-ties to attach it to the T-rods.

I have a number of alts.

4 - Missile Works RRC2+
2 - Stratologger SL100

The cost is of the additional equipment to me is worth the ability to fly multiple rockets using DD.

Here on the left coast, launch season is limited to the “green” months...so 4-5 months in a good year...and perhaps two launches in a good month.

Don’t have time to switch out electronics.

Whenever possible, I use one of my three Jolly Logic Chute Releases tp speed up the prep.

For years I did plenty of flights moving a few altimeters back and forth on launch day - I would prep all my ejection charges and sleds for the rockets I wanted to fly and after each launch I would move the altimeter, connect the prepped charge leads, check battery voltage (replace as needed), and fly again.

I have a fairly common av sled design and switch wiring so I set each rocket up to fly on 2 or even 3 different altimeters without having to change the sled or switch. Extra altimeter mounting screws are far cheaper than a fleet of altimeters.

I'd rather trade altimeters between airframes and buy more motors instead of buying an altimeter for each airframe. I have an assortments of altimeters now, acquired over time based on specific flight parameters.

Min diameter? Raven 4
Large staged flight? Marsa33 with tilt gadget
Going over 20,000? XTRA
Basic DD? RRC2+

Dip your toe into DD and buy something for what you need and what you want to try over the next year. Once you find your groove and get a brand preference, your inventory (and associated capability) will grow naturally over time.

I should probably join Eggtimer Anonymous given the number of units I own. I do the same....each rocket has it’s own bay and Eggtimer. My current problem is I have additional Quantums and Quarks built but have not built the rockets...yet.

I dedicate an altimeter or two to each rocket that uses electronics. Altimeters are inexpensive and with dedicated electronics in each rocket I can have them all ready to go if I choose. Otherwise, if the rocket with the communal altimeter gets lost, I’m effectively prevented from flying.

I dedicate an altimeter or two to each rocket that uses electronics. Altimeters are inexpensive and with dedicated electronics in each rocket I can have them all ready to go if I choose. Otherwise, if the rocket with the communal altimeter gets lost, I’m effectively prevented from flying.

Listen to Steve, If you have a simple project use a simple and economical altimeter. If you can learn to solder SMT components, an Egg Timer Quark is $20.00. Dork or lose a rocket with a $20.00 altimeter is a lot easier then losing a Raven 1 and Beeline GPS. (Got the Raven back a year later and with replacing the piezo and battery, a ballistic flight curve was recovered on download along with insane G forces that exceeded the chip limits when it hit. The $259.00 Beeline looked like it was run through a cheese grater.). I might fly that Parrot again in a “beater” rocket to see if it will work. Kurt

Some projects have dedicated e-bays and associated electronics. Others of the same diameter share an e-bay.

It depends on how many you can afford and want to keep track of charging.

I build all of my avbays with a 1/2" diameter rod in them, ranging from wood in the smaller rockets to 1/2" threaded rod in the largest. All my sleds are 5.5" long and have a 1/2" lug on the back. I can use any altimeter in any rocket. In the few rockets too small for a 1/2" rod, I use an adapter in the lug on the altimeter sled. The adapter stays with the rocket.

I should probably join Eggtimer Anonymous given the number of units I own. I do the same....each rocket has it’s own bay and Eggtimer. My current problem is I have additional Quantums and Quarks built but have not built the rockets...yet.
I just added Cris onto my checking account. 😂

Latest posts

Back