DD Ejection Charge: Black Powder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have any details on how you use it? How much (compared to FFFF)? How do you pack it? etc...

Thanks

Not yet but it is on list of things to do.

Went to sportmans warehouse yesterday but they were all out of Pyrodex P. only Hodgdons was on the shelf but it's $10 more per pound so I held off.

I did buy another scoped rifle sock to protect my big tube fin tho.

Not yet but it is on list of things to do.

Went to sportmans warehouse yesterday but they were all out of Pyrodex P. only Hodgdons was on the shelf but it's $10 more per pound so I held off.

I did buy another scoped rifle sock to protect my big tube fin tho.

I think I paid $20 for Hodgdons at Wild Sports. What do the rifle sleeves cost you?

Do not try to grind black powder. If you must, do it in the hospital burn ward lobby to save the cost of the ambulance.

Black powder is not easy to make. The formula is very old and simple but the processing required so it will work is long, difficult. To get it to burn right it has to be "corned". I am not sure the mods want the process described here but look it up and you will call around until you find it premade.

Mark

a
Do you have any details on how you use it? How much (compared to FFFF)? How do you pack it? etc...

Thanks

I have used fff in the same amount as I have ffff. I don't know that there's is a noticeble difference in performance as long as it is contained in something rigid that directs the charge like the blast cap or similar like pvc cap, or copper piping. Just put some wadding on top to fill up any void, and tape over with masking tape.

I wouldn't use fff in an Aerotech delay well though because it isn't quite as fine as the ffff that AT supplies, and may be a little too course to fill in the touch hole like the 4f.

Having said all that, 3f doesn't look too much different than 4f, just a little more granular and a little less powdery.

Last edited:
I think I paid $20 for Hodgdons at Wild Sports. What do the rifle sleeves cost you?
I believe they the Hodgdon's 777 was about $26 or so. The normal socks I use are the Winchester rifle socks which go for $5 at Wally World. The much larger shotgun/rifled scope socks cost $11.

Seeing as how this weekend's launch at Snow Ranch is canceled, I'm thinking about going to the gun show at Cal Expo this weekend to see what I can find powder-wise.

I haven't been out to Wild Sports in ages. I should pay them a visit one of these days. Been thinking about joining the Sac Valley Shooting Center (only $75 a year for seniors such as moi) as it's somewhat on my side of town. Cordova Shooting Center is closer but smaller and they sell only firearms, no black powder.

I use FFF no problem at all.

I just am doing my first DD, purchased an AV Bay, electronics and just got my Blastcaps from Gary last week. From the sounds of it, I can use FFF pack it in the Blastcap, top it of with wadding and tape. I'll certainly ground test many times to verify.

No matter which BP you use the BLASTCAP can handle it.

Blastcap001.jpg

See Link below for more info:

Just got mine last week !

I just am doing my first DD, purchased an AV Bay, electronics and just got my Blastcaps from Gary last week. From the sounds of it, I can use FFF pack it in the Blastcap, top it of with wadding and tape. I'll certainly ground test many times to verify.

You can use FFFg instead of FFFFg Black Powder and the only real difference you may see is a few more or larger burn holes in the nomex wraps.

Using Pyrodex or any other Black Powder substitute is a completely different question. The BP subs have to be contained to work correctly. That usually means some plastic container and several wraps of electrical tape completely covering the charge. With the proper containment, it is possible to get similar performance from a BP substitute as you get from BP. The problem is that any variation in containment will also cause a variation in performance.

Ground test, ground test, and ground test! If you are using a BP substitute, once you find the proper amount, ground test, ground test, and ground test to verify your containment techniques and the consistency of your charges.

Back