Cutting 4" G12 body tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tile abrasive cutting blade is best.
For just a few cuts here & there a fine toothed carbide blade works well.
Feed tube slow, as not to splinter tube

If there is any minor splintering you can fix it with CA adhesive and then sand. My glue of choice is Loctite 401 or 406, but I am sure many others would be just as effective.

FYI I personally cut it in a lathe using a dental drill (over 400k rpm!) as a toolpost grinder.

Best is to use a tile saw, because the running water carries away the hazardous dust. Failing that, as others have said a diamond blade in a table saw works well, but try to collect the dust with a vacuum at the cutting point as much as you can.

Best is to use a tile saw, because the running water carries away the hazardous dust. Failing that, as others have said a diamond blade in a table saw works well, but try to collect the dust with a vacuum at the cutting point as much as you can.

I agree with this and for fins or other flat sheets I use my tile saw. The depth of the blade doesn’t allow cutting a tube though, so I wrap the area to be cut with masking tape first and cut tubes with a fine toothed carbide blade in a power miter saw. I usually do it outdoors and the blade’s rotation pulls most of the dust away from me. I wear a respirator also.

Using some masking tape tightly wound at the location of the cut will help minimize splintering, as will cutting slow and steady.

The dust is a real concern. I have excellent dust collection, and HEPA air filtration in my shop moving serious CFM.

I use this jig on the table saw and an 80 tooth carbide-tipped blade. If you turn it real slow it minimizes the splinter. It used to not be a problem until the filament-wound tubes became the norm.
I don't mind touching up the ends with spot putty.Kerf%203.JPGKerf%201.JPG

Is the "G12" name for filament wound fiberglass tubing something that exists outside of rocketry or is it something that Madcow just made up? Because when I search the web for G12 fiberglass there are no search results that are not related to rocketry.

Is the "G12" name for filament wound fiberglass tubing something that exists outside of rocketry or is it something that Madcow just made up? Because when I search the web for G12 fiberglass there are no search results that are not related to rocketry.
Hawk Mountain, and others, also label their body tube material as G12.

Gonna try a 12" diamond blade on my miter saw. Thanks everyone for your responses. BTW, has anyone tried cutting these tubes with the blade running in reverse?

Gonna try a 12" diamond blade on my miter saw. Thanks everyone for your responses. BTW, has anyone tried cutting these tubes with the blade running in reverse?
No, but that works great for vinyl siding. I just use my miter box by feeding down real slow splinters less. The more teeth the better.

wetting the diamond blade and the tube helps a lot when you are not using a tile saw. Be sure you have a stop to hold the tube securely against for a square cut without binding.

Back