Custom made nosecones?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR Anderson

Reaction score
Need some help. I have some nice tubes to make rockets out of but they are an odd size. Is there anyone that makes custom nosecone anymore?
Python rocketry isnt there anymore, was hoping to find someone to make them, not sure about making them myself.
Outside diameter is 7 1/4, plus 2 wraps of 6oz fiberglass cloth(which i havent started yet till i get the nosecone figured out), and a wall thickness of 3/16.
Have three tubes to make a couple rockets, but unsure of the nosecone.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
John

Generally a custom cone to fit a non standard tube is going to cost you more than buying a standard airframe and the cone that fits it....but I could be wrong....

Need some help. I have some nice tubes to make rockets out of but they are an odd size. Is there anyone that makes custom nosecone anymore?
Python rocketry isnt there anymore, was hoping to find someone to make them, not sure about making them myself.
Outside diameter is 7 1/4, plus 2 wraps of 6oz fiberglass cloth(which i havent started yet till i get the nosecone figured out), and a wall thickness of 3/16.
Have three tubes to make a couple rockets, but unsure of the nosecone.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
John
Time to buy yourself a lathe and develop a new skill....

Generally a custom cone to fit a non standard tube is going to cost you more than buying a standard airframe and the cone that fits it....but I could be wrong....
Yeah, I know, but they were free and nice looking tubes, was just hoping to do something with them.

Maybe you can just draw the shape you need, mark the tube's inner diameter, and bring that to some local carpenter with a lathe. Or carpentry school.

A technique from Estes back in the 1960's.
1. get a block of balsa big enough for the nosecone.
2. drill a 1/4" hole in center of what will be the base of the nosecone then glue a 1/4 inch dowel in.
3. rough shape the block
4. put the dowel in the chuck of a lathe or drill
5. spin the block as you shape it with sandpaper
I did one like this last month because I needed a BT55 nosecone NOW and couldn't wait to order one. It makes a lot of dust though so you might want to wear a painter's mask.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/umm-me-uranus-explorer-2-scratch-by-tom-markel.html
Look at pics at the end and written section just above the bold print “Finishing.” Skip the first part of the write up unless you are extremely bored.

it takes a bit of work, but you can make a decent Ogive nose cone from a piece of body tube. Whether it is worth your time is obviously up to you. The advantage is it will fit whatever tube size it is made from. And you don’t need any special equipment except sharp scissors.

If you can live with a pure cone (e.g., WAC Corporal style) you can find cardboard cones at Hobby Lobby, especially around Christmas time, that can probably be trimmed to fit.

payload bay shroud generator also may work, using zero or near zero for the second diameter.

@jadebox may be able to chime in here.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/shroudtransistion-calculator.html

Over the past year I have built several nose cones of varying sizes using a balsa block and carving/sanding to the spec I need. Goes slower than having a lathe, and takes some practice, but being able to have a nose cone exactly the size and shape you want is worth something. A lot cheaper than some alternatives too.

Turning from foam works but is very messy. If you want a work of art turned from wood, hit up Sandman(Gordon) at Roachwerks.

http://roachwerksmachining.com.istemp.com/
Let me toss out a thank you to Sandman. Gord made a very cine BT-70 Titan II NC and I am proud to share I got it today! 😊Roachwerks made several items for me over the years and I am always appreciative of "Sandmans'" work!

"No Sandman ever ran!" - Logan's Run

Attachments

• 20210628_191256[2].jpg
    20210628_191256[2].jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210628_191239[1].jpg
    20210628_191239[1].jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 7
Back