Curved Line Paint Job

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cougar93

Reaction score
How do you guys do those great paint jobs with curvy lines, like the cammo on a V2?

I corresponded with Jim Flis the other day about how I plan to build a Richter Recker and give it a Scooby Doo Paint job (for my son).

Here is the paint scheme I'm going to use. How would you guys go about it? As of now, I only have experience with straight lines.

4.jpg

Mask out your needed curves with 3m 1/16 and 1/8 Fine Line masking tape. The smaller sizes will lay flat around pretty tight radious curves. If the curves are really right, you could use friskit film.

So... you guys do use masking tape. Seems you wouldn't be able to get truly curved lines?

PS: What is friskit film?

Originally posted by Cougar93
So... you guys do use masking tape. Seems you wouldn't be able to get truly curved lines?

PS: What is friskit film?

3m fine line tape is definitely able to do true, smooth curves. It isn't normal masking tape - it is incredily skinny and has a slightly rubbery backing (rather than the paper that ordinary masking tape has). As such, it can curve and bend far more easily than normal tape.

Friskit film is a plastic film that has a low adhesive on one side. You would cut the desired shape out of the friskit with an exacto knife then apply the friskit to the rocket like a stencil. It is available from some art and craft stores as well as airbrush and supply retailers.

Go to your local auto parts store and look in their cheapie mechandise bin. Usually you can fin pin striping tape that works for what you are wanting to accomplish.

The pin-stripe idea is excellent, but I wonder... since it's designed to stick almost permanantly to cars, will it come off easily?

make sure the paint is fully cured, the pin stripe is very sticky

about the frisket, it's very hard to cut a design out and than apply it to something, it stretches very easily and it's so thin that it will want to fold over onto itself like a waterslide decal.

the best way to do frisket is to cover the area than draw and cut the design, it takes a very ,very light touch to cut you don't even have to go thru it and it will seperate anyway. only recommended for super detailed type work. and it takes some practice to work with.

a better option would be transfer tape it's like masking tape but very low tack and you can get as wide as 2 or 3' rolls.. the good thing about it is it cuts alot like frisket ,,just a very light touch and it's cut..

the 3m fineline tape cjl mentioned is nice ,it's vynal tape( I think).. it stretches and curves very well and leaves a nice sharp line.

Myself,If I were to attempt the scooby doo design I would try the transfer tape. (or substitute a light tack wide masking tape) you can cover the rocket, draw the design than cut it out with a new sharp blade.

everone has there own way of doing it , just have to try and see what works best for you.( I've tried them all..lol)

Pin stripe tape comes off very easy. I've never had a problem with it. Like any tape, pull it off after you are finished painting and don't leave this or any tape stuck to your paint job for a lengthy time. I used pin stripe tape on my Estes V2 for the black/white roll pattern design. The tape came off easily leaving a very crisp paint line.

Definitely use Frisket or a similar masking material. Some can even be run through a laser printer so that you can print the pattern right on the masking material itself. Just some cutting after that.

not every technique works best for every person
I posted a few options that someone might try that I have tried and they work better in some situations than others
the best we can do here is make suggestions not hammer into someone that only one way(our way) is right

I thought frisket was intended for masking during painting, you can get an incredably sharp line with it and highy detailed masks.

I agree frisket is probably not the best option for a scooby mobile but I'm sure someone could do it that way
this was done with paint thru an airbrush and frisket ,nothing else..

I hope the pic is not too risky'

Originally posted by stymye
not every technique works best for every person
I posted a few options that someone might try that I have tried and they work better in some situations than others
the best we can do here is make suggestions not hammer into someone that only one way(our way) is right

I thought frisket was intended for masking during painting, you can get an incredably sharp line with it and highy detailed masks.

I agree frisket is probably not the best option for a scooby mobile but I'm sure someone could do it that way
this was done with paint thru an airbrush and frisket ,nothing else..

I hope the pic is not too risky'
That is awesome, did you do that Stymye?

no,, no,, I did not, and should apologise for not mentioning that.. I downloaded it a while back. I thought about using it for nose art on a rocket.. now I can't find the site to give the owner proper credit.

If it needs to be removed mods should do so.

the site had a great tutoral on masking with frisket.

Oh well, take credit for it anyway, we won't tell ;) Seriously though, if you wanted to make it into a decal, just get yourself some virgin decal paper ( you should be able to get it at your local hobby store) and trace the pic onto it, then paint it in and spray it and you have a nice decal.

Thanks as usual Scott. I still owe you pictures for the Princess rocket I did for my daughter with your awesome decals! PS: I'll have to beg some Scooby decals off of you soon. :cool:

Thanks everyone for the great input.

Be careful with the frisket film. I used it on a flame pattern a few months back and went through a nightmare. I applied it one night and due to weather had to wait a couple of days before painting. When I went to remove the film after painting, it basically either left the adhesive, or peel up the undercoat everwhere. The undercoat was Krylon cured for about 3 weeks and the top coat (over the masking) was Testors Acryl thinned with alcohol.

Ever experienced the task of sanding off adhesive residue?

yes, I learned the same lesson myself ,, It has to be removed as soon as possible. I managed to get it off by using an eraser but it messed up the paintjob.

shelf liner paper is a good substitute and much cheaper

thats what I use

the tamaya and pactra tapes are the same stuff also just in a more expensive way

Wow, just called because those clowns had $8+ shipping via UPS ground to send a $6 product that probably weighs 1/8th of a pound. It would probably cost $1.50 to send through regular mail. I called and asked if they could just send via regular mail. I was told "no." I said "even if it means losing business," and the sales lady said, "yes sir." Naturally, I hung up and didn't give them the business. I think I'll look around and see if I can find someone willing to ship it cheaper.

I got it from the local Napa auto parts store. It wasn't in stock, but they were happy to special order it for me (and that's the stuff)

Another great product for masking is called "Parafilm M". You can run a serach for it to find many sources but Testors sells it in smaller quantities with their own markup and you can usually find it at a decently stocked hobby store. I think I've even seen it at times in Hobby Lobby.

Originally posted by stymye
a better option would be transfer tape it's like masking tape but very low tack and you can get as wide as 2 or 3' rolls.. the good thing about it is it cuts alot like frisket ,,just a very light touch and it's cut..

If you have any people around who do vinyl signs / lettering they use this stuff. They use it as a carrier to get every thing lined up when you stick it down. I have a buddy who has a print shop and he does vinyl lettering and uses real wide rolls of this transfer tape (hence the name transfer -to- transfer the lettering to the intended surface).

Another option might be a vinyl sign. You could have it printed up - some guys have an ink jet printer with vinyl sign material - and just wrap it on there. You of course would've painted the rocket the base color first.

You can even do some pretty creative things with clear label material and an inkjet printer yourself. Probably not this detailed though.

I've made neat American flags (for white rockets) and other lettering and symbols. Replaced all the decals in a Quest kit once with it because I hated that ugly white background and they way they stuck. Clear vinyl labels really lay down under a coat of Krylon clear! :cool:

Back