• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Creative Blast Plate

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyLight

Reaction score
So I needed to make a new blast plate for my launch pad and was looking through a bunch of things. I had the idea to use one of my old Epee bell guards since I fence and have a lot of spare guards. So, I cut a hole and set it on my new rail launcher. It might not be big enough but I figured that the plate that comes with the Mantis is pretty small so it should do. Here's a picture for your approval or disapproval.IMG_20140125_165634.jpg

Looks cool! I just use a ceramic floor tile. Cheap, and you'll never burn through it.

as a teenager we used the curved downspout from rain gutters looked really cool on night launches

Looks like it'll work for smaller diameter rockets. If you want more usable area, drill a hole in the side of the guard and bolt it to the rail.

So I needed to make a new blast plate for my launch pad and was looking through a bunch of things. I had the idea to use one of my old Epee bell guards since I fence and have a lot of spare guards. So, I cut a hole and set it on my new rail launcher. It might not be big enough but I figured that the plate that comes with the Mantis is pretty small so it should do. Here's a picture for your approval or disapproval.View attachment 160176

Four hours have gone by and no one has posted "touché"?

I use one of these; I use a big hose clamp to attach it to the launch rod. You can direct the exhaust so you don't get a faceful of smoke (if you don't want one).

1773902.jpg

I bought it 7-8 years ago for $4-5 bucks, but now it looks like they cost $10 or more at Home Despot. DO NOT use an aluminum pipe; those will burn through after a dozen or so launches. You want the steel ones.

:y::y:

Attachments

• $_3.JPG
    $_3.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
One old method was to take a tin can (say a very large can of tomato juice), split it down the length (not forgetting to clean the edges so no fingers get cut), bend it so that it forms a very curvy "W" shape, crease the metal in the center of the "W", and punch a hole for the launch rod.

If you want to stabilize that cut off wheel, you may want to take a lamp nipple, a pair of washers and a pair of nuts, and sandwich it together.

That's my plan for retrofitting my PPE blast plate.

If you want to stabilize that cut off wheel, you may want to take a lamp nipple, a pair of washers and a pair of nuts, and sandwich it together.

That's my plan for retrofitting my PPE blast plate.

It's funny I'm reading this right now, because only a few hours ago, I bought these exact parts (lamp nipple, washers and nuts) and a 16" pizza baking pan for a blast plate.

Old frying pans or worn out saw blades.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Rocketry Forum mobile app

So I needed to make a new blast plate for my launch pad and was looking through a bunch of things. I had the idea to use one of my old Epee bell guards since I fence and have a lot of spare guards. So, I cut a hole and set it on my new rail launcher. It might not be big enough but I figured that the plate that comes with the Mantis is pretty small so it should do. Here's a picture for your approval or disapproval.View attachment 160176

When I first saw this title I thought you were useing an old SoundBlaster sound card ;)

I just checked eBay, new ones are $9.50 shipped, not too bad to get what looks to be stainless steel. That would go well with the drill steel launch rods I've been accumulating...well...I got 1 :p

Last edited:
Back