Creative Blast Plate

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyLight

Reaction score
So I needed to make a new blast plate for my launch pad and was looking through a bunch of things. I had the idea to use one of my old Epee bell guards since I fence and have a lot of spare guards. So, I cut a hole and set it on my new rail launcher. It might not be big enough but I figured that the plate that comes with the Mantis is pretty small so it should do. Here's a picture for your approval or disapproval.IMG_20140125_165634.jpg

Looks cool! I just use a ceramic floor tile. Cheap, and you'll never burn through it.

as a teenager we used the curved downspout from rain gutters looked really cool on night launches

Looks like it'll work for smaller diameter rockets. If you want more usable area, drill a hole in the side of the guard and bolt it to the rail.

So I needed to make a new blast plate for my launch pad and was looking through a bunch of things. I had the idea to use one of my old Epee bell guards since I fence and have a lot of spare guards. So, I cut a hole and set it on my new rail launcher. It might not be big enough but I figured that the plate that comes with the Mantis is pretty small so it should do. Here's a picture for your approval or disapproval.View attachment 160176

Four hours have gone by and no one has posted "touché"?

I use one of these; I use a big hose clamp to attach it to the launch rod. You can direct the exhaust so you don't get a faceful of smoke (if you don't want one).

1773902.jpg

I bought it 7-8 years ago for $4-5 bucks, but now it looks like they cost $10 or more at Home Despot. DO NOT use an aluminum pipe; those will burn through after a dozen or so launches. You want the steel ones.

:y::y:

Attachments

• $_3.JPG
    $_3.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
One old method was to take a tin can (say a very large can of tomato juice), split it down the length (not forgetting to clean the edges so no fingers get cut), bend it so that it forms a very curvy "W" shape, crease the metal in the center of the "W", and punch a hole for the launch rod.

If you want to stabilize that cut off wheel, you may want to take a lamp nipple, a pair of washers and a pair of nuts, and sandwich it together.

That's my plan for retrofitting my PPE blast plate.

If you want to stabilize that cut off wheel, you may want to take a lamp nipple, a pair of washers and a pair of nuts, and sandwich it together.

That's my plan for retrofitting my PPE blast plate.

It's funny I'm reading this right now, because only a few hours ago, I bought these exact parts (lamp nipple, washers and nuts) and a 16" pizza baking pan for a blast plate.

Old frying pans or worn out saw blades.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Rocketry Forum mobile app

So I needed to make a new blast plate for my launch pad and was looking through a bunch of things. I had the idea to use one of my old Epee bell guards since I fence and have a lot of spare guards. So, I cut a hole and set it on my new rail launcher. It might not be big enough but I figured that the plate that comes with the Mantis is pretty small so it should do. Here's a picture for your approval or disapproval.View attachment 160176

When I first saw this title I thought you were useing an old SoundBlaster sound card ;)

I just checked eBay, new ones are $9.50 shipped, not too bad to get what looks to be stainless steel. That would go well with the drill steel launch rods I've been accumulating...well...I got 1 :p

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back