Creality CR-Scan Ferret Pro 3D Scanner

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samtc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a 3D Scanner. Has anyone made the leap yet? The Creality CR-Scan Ferret Pro 3D Scanner has limited reviews at Amazon and B & H, but they are all good.

I have been using 3d scanners for 20 years and they fundamentally haven’t changed much other than getting cheaper, higher resolution because of better cameras and the extraction of textures have gotten better.

The mesh itself has always been crap whether it is a cheap scanner like this or a million dollar lidar scan of an environment/building. We use the mesh as reference to rebuild a new, clean mesh faster so the scale & dimensions are correct. Snap the vertices of the new mesh you are building to the reference scanned mesh.

Just to qualify, when I say the mesh is crap. I mean, the vertices are all over the place, and the overall quality of the mesh is bad. It's just an abundance of points that are then triangulated. It is just very messy. It has holes and non-manifold geometry, and if you smooth it you get random creases in the wrong spots. It is still useful, but it really depends on what your end goal for the mesh is. I'm assuming 3d printing.

Just googling around, I found this page, which explains the overall issues with 3d scanning.
https://formlabs.com/blog/how-to-use-3d-scanning-and-3d-printing-for-reverse-engineering/

Looking for a 3D Scanner. Has anyone made the leap yet? The Creality CR-Scan Ferret Pro 3D Scanner has limited reviews at Amazon and B & H, but they are all good.

Most 3D scanners of limited use until you go into the $1000 or more range.

Back