Couple of Cardstock Models.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hounddawgracing

Reaction score
Here area few cardstock models I've put together the last two weeks or so.

First is Erix Traux's Patriot. This was my first attempt at molding the nose cone out of paper. I didn't like the outcome so I epoxied it and this is the sanding efforts. Note the horrible tape mark around the shoulder. That bummed me out.

DSC02358.jpg

Second is a Bret Simpkins desing modified by Eric Traux as a cardstock model. I converted this from an 18mm motor to 13mm motor. I also used and idea for the secondary body tubes by Clive Davis by rolling the inner BT's with a red pre-printed pattern to simulate fire. You'll notice the nose cone came out much better than the Patriot sans for my 5yro dropping it which is the paint crack you can see. I'm going to have to put these up high because he's dingin' all my efforts before they see any flight time.

DSC02360.jpg

DSC02359.jpg

Third is a Bob Harrington downscale version of the ESS Raven. This was a little tricky as according to Bob's notes, I totally overbuilt it making some of the folds rather difficult. Additionally, I started off wrong by wrapping the wrong fin patterns together. You'll also note the red trim on the wings and rudder. Not my idea, just my learning curve in putting CA over a yellow Sharpie. This currently has only one light clear coat. It still needs to be sanded and more clear.

DSC02357.jpg

The three of them together with a couple of FlisKits

DSC02354.jpg

DSC02355.jpg

DSC02363.jpg

DSC02362.jpg

How on earth are you rolling those nose cones from card stock? They look great!

Looks like you have been visiting my site !

Great work. You did a great job on these. When I built the Patriot I did something similar. I didn't like the look of my transitions so I simply applied fill-n-finish and sanded it smooth. The nose cone turned out looking great.
Also the Patriot is easily lost. You may want to launch on a 1/2 A the first time.

Keep up the excellent builds!

How on earth are you rolling those nose cones from card stock? They look great!

Thank you... They're the regular paper cones that come on the printout but I sand them smooth as I can without tearing up too much paper, skin them with epoxy, sand, possibly another light skin of epoxy, sand, sand some more, sand even a little more then a light coat of primer, sand, another coat of primer, sand, then a heavy coat of primer to fill in the remaining imperfections, sand, light coat of paint, sand, final coat of paint, sand, clear coat, sand, clear coat, sand....lol.

The second application of epoxy and each coat of primer is basically down to the original coat of epoxy. I'm basically just filling the imperfections. By the time it's all said and done there isn't that much material on them over and above the original coat of epoxy, paint and clear. It's not as much work as it seems but it is alot of work to get it right. The Top Secret cone could still use some work but it's pretty good. Now I have to fix the divet my kid put in the tip by dropping it and chipping the paint.

Great job :) You need a Sat V now :)
Cheers
Fred

Thanks guys. I've got a Saturn V printed up and on Que. I'm probably not doing anything else this week as I'm getting the ones I have ship shape for my first club launch on Saturday with the kids. I've also been busy with some stuff for the Coperstate 1000 road rally. Wed. is the last day so I may start something Thursday night. Wed is a "free" day at the Bondurant school of driving....Free SoloX in their cars, free shifter karts and free track time......:D I'll be running the MGA. Need to put on a good show. There will be two potential buyers there.

Those cones look great. At first glance I thought they were plastic.

I've been looking at making cardstock models and have the Patriot. I have to ask about what paper are you using and where you got it. Despite 30 years in the printing industry, paper weight and thickness is a dark science. :eek:

Huge Blues....thanks for the compliment. The cardstock is merely 110lb whatever from Walmart. Apparently I need somd 67lb because the Raven is horribly overbuilt. All of those models are overbuilt. I don't mind so much as my main motor will be the A10-3T cause it's cheap at wallyworld. If they're a bit heavy it's fine. I'm not lookin' for altitude records but to get my rockets back and that may be marginal at best with the A10 motor as I assume they'll really get up there. All of these have performed very well on swing tests but have yet to take flight.

Thanks guys. I've got a Saturn V printed up and on Que. I'm probably not doing anything else this week as I'm getting the ones I have ship shape for my first club launch on Saturday with the kids. I've also been busy with some stuff for the Coperstate 1000 road rally. Wed. is the last day so I may start something Thursday night. Wed is a "free" day at the Bondurant school of driving....Free SoloX in their cars, free shifter karts and free track time......:D I'll be running the MGA. Need to put on a good show. There will be two potential buyers there.

Good luck with the racing :)
Cheers
fred

Good luck with the racing :)
Cheers
fred

Thanks, Fred. No racing, just track time. I've run the Bondurant course while doing their 4-day school. It's fun. However, this is "Free" so I can't hardly pass it up. Here's what I'll be driving. It's my Pops' car actually. I race an MG Midget. I've never driven this car on track which is why I'm taking the opportunity to just tootle around. I'll be on track with a Lister Jag, Boss 302 Mustang, Morgan +4, IMSA Porsche as well as other vintage race cars. It's basically to put on a show for the Rally drivers.

084.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

Houndawg,

Do you ever go to the Mid-Ohio Sports Car course for the Vintage Grand Prix? I live close and Fox Racing Guy comes down for a few races as well. We haven't met yet, but it might happen this summer.

Never been to MO but it is definitely on my to do list. I'm pretty much taking this year off for financial reasons. Look for my engine builder Prather Racing and you'll see the fastest vintage production cars on the planet. They're just good ole boys and very cool to hang with and answer any and all questions.

Apparently I need somd 67lb because the Raven is horribly overbuilt.
Not necessarily. I use 65lb paper on the 13mm models because it's easier to work with. The seam probably didn't line up quite right because of the thickness of the 110lb stock but I'll bet it doesn't weigh that much more than one made with 65Lb stock.

I don't mind so much as my main motor will be the A10-3T cause it's cheap at wallyworld. If they're a bit heavy it's fine. I'm not lookin' for altitude records but to get my rockets back and that may be marginal at best with the A10 motor as I assume they'll really get up there.
I fly my Raven with 1/2A3-4T's most of the time and it still goes pretty high. Something that small disappears quite easily and I have been fortunate to get it back each time.

Thanks, Fred. No racing, just track time. I've run the Bondurant course while doing their 4-day school. It's fun. However, this is "Free" so I can't hardly pass it up. Here's what I'll be driving. It's my Pops' car actually. I race an MG Midget. I've never driven this car on track which is why I'm taking the opportunity to just tootle around. I'll be on track with a Lister Jag, Boss 302 Mustang, Morgan +4, IMSA Porsche as well as other vintage race cars. It's basically to put on a show for the Rally drivers.

084.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

Should be fun as that car looks great :)
Cheers
Fred

Now, you need to build a Soyuz. That will eat up a lot of your 110lb stock.

13mm on left, 24mm on right. The 13mm Soyuz is the only model that I consistently use A10-3T's in.

Those look awesome :)
Cheers
fred

Latest posts

Back