Could estes engines be used in space?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buzz...that would depend on where you pointed it. but im sure at some point it would find a home. now, theoretically, if space ACTUALLY has 0 gravity, and no atmosphere to provide resistance, couldnt something launched go forever? until it reaches the edge of space(assuming that i was pointed in the direction of absolutely nothing)

Space doen't have gravity - objects do. However, the gravity from any object extends infinitely, and gets smaller exponentially with distance - something twice the distance feels 1/4 the gravitational acceleration.

Get Apogee's newsletter 81:

https://www.night.net/apogee/Newsletter81.pdf

It has a reprint of an article Tim VanMilligan and I wrote for a previous newsletter Tim was editor of. Tim knew more of the rocket science, especially orbital stuff, I had some of the wilder ideas.

Also, there’s been at last one thread about this on RMR. Google “rocket in space?” in the March 1997 timeframe.

n3tjm wrote:
>>>>
Matter of fact, I think I read somewhere that they launched a model rockets in space on a shuttle mission?
<<<<

Two model rockets (without any engines) carried into space on a shuttle mission. Jay Apt had an Astron Scout and Astron Mark among his “personal gear” allottment on one of his shuttle missions. He kept the Mark, and gave the Scout to Vern Estes.

Attached is a photo of that Scout at Vern's place, in his rocket history room. It's inside of the container that it was packed in for its flight on the shuttle. Vern modified the container for a cutaway and plastic window.

Well, I hope the file attaches, never done that on this forum and a preview didn't show anything.

- George Gassaway

Back