Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to understand if getting flu shots "improves" our immune systems by "exercising" the system and increasing its ability to create antibodies. Data about how many confirmed CV patients had flu vaccinations could shed light on this maybe? Certainly, avoiding getting flu will help us to be healthier and better equipped when we get exposed to a new bug.

The run on supplies has me baffled and I would guess that some folks are going a bit nuts because of the what their "news" source creates. It is tragic to see how poorly our "news" organizations have performed recently and gratifying to see how well informed people like Chuck have stepped up to help. Thank you!

@Bat-mite Let me clarify my answer. No they do not want to screen everyone with the cold. The key symptom is the symptoms of Pneumonia.

Symptoms of Pneumonia:
  • Cough - worse than cold and deep in chest - not throat and not from post nasal drip
  • Exhaustion and fatigue - you feel like you were hit with a truck
  • Fever, often over 101
  • Loss of appetite and potential nausea
  • Shivering (you feel chilled)
  • Shortness of breath with increased respiratory rate and potentially chest pain
  • Rapid breathing
Symptoms of a cold:
  • Fever is lower grade or nonexistent
  • Nasal congestion
  • Sore throats
  • Body aches
  • Cough from post nasal drip
If you have doubts, see a medial provider to be screened. I have screened hundreds and order one test.

I had 2 cases of severe pneumonia a few years ago and the first sign something was wrong was an asthma attack. No fever or anything else. Just a sudden asthma attack. My boss took me to my Dr and she said there was no sounds of air movement and did an xray.

I'd like to understand if getting flu shots "improves" our immune systems by "exercising" the system and increasing its ability to create antibodies. Data about how many confirmed CV patients had flu vaccinations could shed light on this maybe? Certainly, avoiding getting flu will help us to be healthier and better equipped when we get exposed to a new bug.

The run on supplies has me baffled and I would guess that some folks are going a bit nuts because of the what their "news" source creates. It is tragic to see how poorly our "news" organizations have performed recently and gratifying to see how well informed people like Chuck have stepped up to help. Thank you!

That is sort of it. Our immune system is very complicated. It is not “exercising”. Our primary immune system involves antibodies to bond to and sort of deactivate viruses, bacteria, etc. We bond to and destroy the virus. The flue shot is not for a single virus but for a group and A and B viruses. Some of these viruses are similar proteins. The more closely related the virus serotypes are, the more effective they are.

I may have over simplified that. The benefit fo the flu vaccine is magnified by the number of folks who get it - herd immunity.

Will having gotten a flu shot help protect from CV? Other than the possible benefit of not having contracted influenza.

The stats concerning number of confirmed CV cases and how many of them got flu shots this season would probably reveal this. I keep seeing the recommendation that we should get a flu shot and am curious if it just because it's a good idea generally or if there is a relationship to helping improve immunity against CV.

Since Seattle is known to have a low rate of immunization and is also a hot spot for CV, there might be a connection? Again, thank you for clarifying the medical reality that has been so muddled by media.

Will having gotten a flu shot help protect from CV? Other than the possible benefit of not having contracted influenza.

The stats concerning number of confirmed CV cases and how many of them got flu shots this season would probably reveal this. I keep seeing the recommendation that we should get a flu shot and am curious if it just because it's a good idea generally or if there is a relationship to helping improve immunity against CV.

Since Seattle is known to have a low rate of immunization and is also a hot spot for CV, there might be a connection? Again, thank you for clarifying the medical reality that has been so muddled by media.

The flu shot will not protect you against Coronavirus. Although there is no research, but I suspect that having Coronavirus and flu at the same time would really kick you behind. That being said, that is not the reason why.

The reason they are recommending a flu shot is opportunistic. You are concerned about infections so let us talk about the bug that is more common and likely to infect you and could kill you. Get a flu shot and protect yourself and others!

Because the hospital ER doesn't require Insurance or Payment at Time of Service . . . They just never pay the bill.

Dave F.

Most ERs right it off you do not pay and cannot pay.

I'd like to understand if getting flu shots "improves" our immune systems by "exercising" the system and increasing its ability to create antibodies. Data about how many confirmed CV patients had flu vaccinations could shed light on this maybe?

If Chuck don't mind, vaccinations help only with the intended target. We are exposed to countless pathogens going thru everyday life, which our immune systems are constantly "taking care" of/"exercising". Thinking that having a vaccine will "exercise" our immune systems to safeguard us against all pathogens is wrong. That is why people with immune suppression have to be extra careful. Remember the Boy in the Bubble? Everyday pathogens we are exposed to would have killed him.(eventually did) To keep things short, learned this when my wife was going thru Chemo and radiation for breast cancer. You can keep your immune system in "top shape" by the correct amount of exercise as well as rest and eating certain foods. Also believe it or not, sex can help boost your immune system.

Last edited:
If Chuck don't mind, vaccinations help only with the intended target. We are exposed to countless pathogens going thru everyday life, which our immune systems are constantly "taking care" of/"exercising". Thinking that having a vaccine will "exercise" our immune systems to safeguard us against all pathogens is wrong. That is why people with immune suppression have to be extra careful. Remember the Boy in the Bubble? Everyday pathogens we are exposed to would have killed him.(eventually did) To keep things short, learned this when my wife was going thru Chemo and radiation for breast cancer. You can keep your immune system in "top shape" by the correct amount of exercise as well as rest and eating certain foods. Also believe it or not, sex can help boost your immune system.

True. It helps only with the intended target or the family of the intended target. For example, it may focus on Influenza H1N1 but may boost some immunity with H1N2.

Chuck is correct, flu shot doesn’t protect you from CV. However, symptoms of CV are similar to typical flu symptoms.
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...ronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

So while flu vaccine doesn’t keep you from getting CV, it does reduce your chances of getting the flu and and being SUSPECTED of being a CV victim (suspected by you yourself or those around you.) Since it is possible CV cases as it spreads may put a strain on resources (testing and treating), fewer people getting the standard flu (because they got the flu shot, even if it isn’t 100%) and showing up in the medical system with symptoms that “may” be CV, the better for everyone. At the moment, everybody showing up with any symptoms remotely resembling flu gets a lot of people (including many medical personnel) in a panic.

Put another way, since both CV and flu present the same way, if we can reduce the flu cases, we reduce the number of people showing up with “possible” CV and reduce the number of people that need to be tested for it.

Public Service Announcement: Recently there has been a lot of chatter about hand sanitizers being ineffective. The term "ineffective" is not the correct term. Hand sanitizers that are less than 60% alcohol or do nto contain another agent other than alcohol are "less effective".

I have read a lot about hand sanitizers and did my research project in residency on them. I would recommend brand name products such as Purell or Germ-X that contain 60% alcohol. A quote from the CDC: "alcohol concentration between 60–95% are more effective at killing germs than those with a lower alcohol concentration or non-alcohol-based hand sanitizers".

More information: https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

Last edited:
https://thispodcastwillkillyou.com/episodes/

Episodes 26 and 27 of "This Podcast Will Kill You" explain vaccines in pretty great detail. There is also a much more recent episode about Coronaviruses and Covid-19 (although it is a month old now, so the numbers are already significantly different for this outbreak).

This show in general is really great. A little scary, but also fascinating (if you like murder mystery / true crimes podcasts, you'll like this one).

Wash your hands!

Re: Going to ER vs. doctor's office or urgent care: It's a matter of information. According to multiple media reports, doctor's offices are telling people to go to the ER for testing. ERs may or may not have test kits, but people hang around for a while getting that sorted out. Out here, UW has just opened a drive through testing site (like the ones set up in S Korea). At present it is only for UW Medicine employees with symptoms, but hopefully it will be a template for other organizations.

From a public health perspective, it would be truly excellent if we had universal health care and paid sick leave so people could (a) stay home when infected and (b) could get treatment early in the infection. That's probably about as far as I can go without running afoul of rules here.

OK, editorializing done, I have a question. I'm a healthy 45-year-old guy. Twice in the last five years a cold has turned nasty on me, once into pneumonia, and once into bronchitis. I think the bronchitis episode would have turned into pneumonia if I'd left it another couple of days. Does that history of relatively minor colds turning into something worse put me at higher risk if/when I'm infected with COVID-19?

My question for today is, how many of the corona virus deaths have occurred in people over 65 and people who have chronic diseases?

My question for today is, how many of the corona virus deaths have occurred in people over 65 and people who have chronic diseases?

In the US, nearly 100%. We have tested a number and they were all negative.

Yes. I am not talking about research. I am talking about real world products.
UV-C sanitizers are widely used by medical and tattoo parlors. I'm using mine on everything now. Especially keys, phone, etc. You can get them for a hundred to couple hundred bucks online. CPAP machines also use them.

UV-C sanitizers are widely used by medical and tattoo parlors. I'm using mine on everything now. Especially keys, phone, etc. You can get them for a hundred to couple hundred bucks online. CPAP machines also use them.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info. Probably the same product we saw but they will charge our government top dollar.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info. Probably the same product we saw but they will charge our government top dollar.
True... Mine have the deep UV LED based source. Bulbs wear out much more quickly.

I've read this thread since the beginning but it's possible my question has been asked, answered, and I just don't remember it. I'm sure that's possible.

Is there any reason to think that someone surviving the Coronavirus wouldn't be immune to it afterwards? I know that people get the flu again on different years but those are different strands of the flu. I'm just curious if someone does catch it and gets over it with light symptoms (as we're told many do) does that mean they can stop worrying about catching it?

We have some ambulances with UV-C lights installed and are told we have a portable one on order for the helicopters. 15 minutes with it on is supposed to be effective. Unload your patient, turn the lamp on and close the doors. Should be good while you transport the patient inside and give a handoff report. Repeat once you clean any fluids and put the litter back in before you return to service.

There are more on the market, but here is one link. The ones on our ground units were installed as options when the trucks were built.

https://www.cureuv.com/products/germawayuv-55-watt-ultraviolet-ambulance-disinfection-system

If this question has already been asked then disregard. I understand about people coughing and sneezing thereby spreading the virus around in the air but I was wondering if normal respiration from an infected person can spread the virus to another say, in the same room? I remember seeing a video years back of a person's breath colorized for effect and how it spreads far out from the person breathing.

It'll be worth checking back in a few weeks and see how flu compares to COVID-19 then. Washington has had ~75 flu deaths since October, and the season is starting to level off. In that time, there have been 51 outbreaks in long-term care facilities. The overall mortality rate for flu in Washington is about 1 per 100,000 cases (0.001%) per the state Health Department.

In WA, COVID-19 is a few weeks ahead of NY, with cases circulating for 4-6 weeks depending on who you ask. There have been 22 deaths over 162 confirmed cases* so far, many from a single outbreak in a long-term care facility. The spokesperson for that facility said that several patients went from no symptoms to death in a matter of hours. There are several other long-term care facilities that have at least one confirmed positive test among residents or staff. Rough estimates are that there are a couple of thousand COVID-19 infections in WA, most undetected.

COVID-19 appears to be at least one or two orders of magnitude more deadly than flu, and perhaps more infectious. If cases at two or three of the long-term care facilities with current infections blow up like the one in Kirkland did, we will pass the absolute number of flu deaths in a week or two. If (global outside of China) infection trends continue in WA (~15% increase in infections each day) and the WHO mortality rate around 3% holds, we'll be looking at passing the flu in total number of deaths in a couple of weeks.

I'm not saying that we all need to run in circles screaming and shouting over COVID-9, but it is definitely worse than the flu and we definitely need to take it seriously. Anything we can do to lower that 15% number will save a lot of lives. And that's before we even get to the really terrifying scenarios where hospitals get overloaded and medical care breaks down.

* Note that testing in WA is basically confined to people who have been hospitalized so far. There has not been widespread testing available to people with some symptoms but not severe enough to admit to a hospital.

One of my staff is currently being tested for COVID-19. She tested positive for flu, which makes me feel a little at ease. But is there a chance that this coronavirus could induce a positive flu test? I assume the flu test is ELISA based, and I know the current coronavirus test is more accurate because it is PCR-based.

So the question is....how "promiscuous" is the flu test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back