Quantcast

cooling fins for mars snooper 2 clone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

tdriver

Reaction score
Well, I am going to try and build up a mars snooper 2 clone, so I can relive my childhood (heheheh).

I have found most of the stuff to do this, but still need a couple items which lead me to these 3 (initial) questions:

-What thickness of "card stock"/paper do I use for the "coolling fins" and leg rings?

-Any special tips on hand turning the BNC-5BA "ramjet" cones for pods? ( I will probably turn them from 1" balsa cubes, mounted on wooden dowl, spun using my drill or my dremmel.) I have read a few threads and have a rough idea of how to do it. The shape is unique though.

-Wooden dowels to be 1/8" diameter?

BTW, I am very impressed with this group of people on this forum. Everybody seems very cool & helpful, with very little attitude. Pat yourselves on your backs!

I am just getting back into this hobby , and getting my daughter and son involved.

See attached pic of our latest 3: my upscale star snoop from fatboy kit, and thier star dart, and wizard.

thanks
Tim

sandman

Reaction score
I got a package of Hammermill 110# card stock. I use it for darn near everything.

If you're really cheap just steal a manilla folder from work...good enough.;)

As for the cones...let me introduce myself...I'm sandman and I make cones.

I think this is what you are looking for.

tdriver

Reaction score
Yep, I remember chatting with you many months ago. Your work is well renouned (sp?). YOur many posts are quite helpfull too, by the way.

Those indeed do look to be correct. I probably will try to make some myself, but if I fail miserably, perhaps I could purchase some from you as a backup plan? How much would 3 cones cost including shipping?

Yep, after I posted I found many references to the snooper II. Guess I got ahead of myself.

thanks
Tim

sandman

Reaction score
Tim,

Try making them yourself first...hey, you may learn something!

If you can't PM me and I'll give you a quote.

The ram jet cones are really hard to do consistantly identical. It's not like yer gonna waste a LOT of wood if you do it wrong.

Tip* For the intake tips of the ramjet cones use a 1/2 dremmel sanding drum held on a 1/2" wood dowel...the shape is pretty close and it allows some consistancy. You do have to make 3 identical cones!

tdriver

Reaction score
Sandman, btw, thanks for the pics of the bnc-5ba cones. I imported them into autocad to try and get some dimensions off of them. See attached if interested.

I thought I might be able to machine some sort of sanding guide from these dimensions to make these things consistantly.

thanks again.
Tim

tdriver

Reaction score
not sure I understood what this meant;

"Tip* For the intake tips of the ramjet cones use a 1/2 dremmel sanding drum held on a 1/2" wood dowel...the shape is pretty close and it allows some consistancy. You do have to make 3 identical cones!"

I cant seem to visualize what a 1/2 dremmel sanding drum looks like.. ...

(I'm not retarded, just slow)

thanks
Tim

sandman

Reaction score
Here's what I use.

They come 6 to a pack.

I also use them mounted on the wood dowel for interior sanding on the lathe.

gpoehlein

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, Sandman, what would you charge for the BNC-5BA cones? I have a Snooper 2 that I picked up at a local auction - one of the 5BA cones is gone (as is the entire outside of that fin) and a second is damaged. I would really like to restore this bird to flying condition!

Greg

sandman

Reaction score
Greg,

The shipping would cost more than the nose cone!

Just a couple of bucks each. They are actually harder to make than you think.

You have to hold your tounge just right when you make them.

I have my original to compare it with.

Latest posts