Controller wiring question and looking for a switch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeckey

Reaction score
I have a question about wiring ignitor leads. If I used a three conductor cable (i.e. a 16 ga. extension cord) and wired the controller so that both white and green wires were hot, and the black a common ground, could this one cable be used to control two circuits, assuming the controller was wired to energize the white and green wires seperately? Could this common ground cause both sides to fire when either was energized? Obviously I can and will expirement with this system before using it in the field, but I am wondering if anyone else has tried this.

ALSO: Looking for a push button switch with a clear plastic flip up safety cover. I thought I had observed one in a previous thread, but I can't locate it. I tried searching the electronics parts catalogs, but apparently I am not putting in proper search terms.

Thanks in advance.

The 3 wire cord will allow 2 independent circuits with a common ground return. There shouldn't be any problem with misfires.

The flip-up guard is typically sold separately from the actual switch. Commonly called a "switchguard" or a "molly guard", they are typically used in military/aerospace (expensive) or industrial control (slightly less expensive) applications.

A great source for all kinds of fancy switches at reasonable prices is:

https://www.automationdirect.com

The extension idea is what I used when assembling a 8 pad launch controller. I used the white(netural) and black(hot) for the pad wires and the green(ground) for the common return wire, That way I could uses the extension cords and the spliter boxes for a 110vac device if needed around the house.

Back