Confused at RMS hardware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I agree on picking the 24/40 over the 24/60, for me it's an economics choice. Yeah, there were 8 (now there's only 5 made all the time) loads for the 24/40, but I don't think the Ds make sense and tiny Blue Thunder underwhelms me. The 24/60 has great red, black, and white options but the trouble is the cost: [at retail,] $18/F motor vs $14.33/F motor for very similar impulse in the 24/40.

The F24W in the 24/40 case is my favorite small mid-power motor.
Have you seen the Aerotech 18/20 Rms motor with the D13 WL load?
Very impressive, loud and powerful for an 18mm motor.
Note, a 3 pack 24/40 of F24 WL costs about 38.00. So that's around 13.00 each.

Have you seen the Aerotech 18/20 Rms motor with the D13 WL load?
Very impressive, loud and powerful for an 18mm motor.
Note, a 3 pack 24/40 of F24 WL costs about 38.00. So that's around 13.00 each.
I quoted the retail prices for consistency, but I would never pay retail for hobbyline motors when they can be had up to 35% off if you time things right.

I've looked at the 18/20, but to me it doesn't make sense from an economic perspective either. I tried out the 18mm Q-Jets but couldn't even stay there on cost; I stick to BP now in 18mm.

Both the 18/20 D loads are a full 20 N-sec, where the Quest D20 is only 13.8 N-sec and Estes doesn't make an 18mm D. So if you want to send a rocket that's less than 24mm diameter, or has a boat tail/nozzle less than BT-50 size, you need the 18/20. Those of us who like sending little rockets farther out of sight than a C6-7 will take them are happy to have it.

If your rocket can accommodate a 24mm motor mount, yeah, do that.

Both the 18/20 D loads are a full 20 N-sec, where the Quest D20 is only 13.8 N-sec and Estes doesn't make an 18mm D. So if you want to send a rocket that's less than 24mm diameter, or has a boat tail/nozzle less than BT-50 size, you need the 18/20. Those of us who like sending little rockets farther out of sight than a C6-7 will take them are happy to have it.

Fair enough. I have no interest in BT-20 rockets nor sending rockets out of sight, so there we are.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I have no interest in BT-20 rockets nor sending rockets out sight, so there we are.
There is another good reason to use the 18/20 loads. If you already have Estes rockets with 18mm motor mounts, but they are too clompy, fat, or heavy to fly well on C6 or C5 motors, they really work well in these situations.

This is a Xarconian Cruiser on a D13W, which is excellent but does not go out of sight. The thing barely flies on C6s.

XarconianCruiserInFlight.jpg

The 18/20 D13W is a great load with the full 20Ns impulse. It kicks harder than any BP or Quest motors and is quite loud compared to any 18mm motor.

Another favorite is the 24/40 D15. Works on any rocket that a BP D12 works in but with a little extra kick.

I also feel that thes reloads are much more reliable than the Quest motors.

The 18/20 D13W is a great load with the full 20Ns impulse. It kicks harder than any BP or Quest motors and is quite loud compared to any 18mm motor.

Another favorite is the 24/40 D15. Works on any rocket that a BP D12 works in but with a little extra kick.

I also feel that thes reloads are much more reliable than the Quest motors.
I use the D15 as a "first flight" motor in rockets that normally would use an E or F. It has enough initial thrust to give decent off-rod speed, but keeps the altitude down.

Hans,

I still have a case of D13W and D24T Reloads for the 18/20 case. It's been probably 12 years since I stored them away. I need to look at them. I can't remember if ordering dealer QTY's if the case was 6 of them or 8.

I assume the D24s will be fine. Even still sealed in the bags, the D13s will likely need to file work on the C-slot.

I quoted the retail prices for consistency, but I would never pay retail for hobbyline motors when they can be had up to 35% off if you time things right.

I've looked at the 18/20, but to me it doesn't make sense from an economic perspective either. I tried out the 18mm Q-Jets but couldn't even stay there on cost; I stick to BP now in 18mm.
Well you can have a full D with 19.8 NS total impulse or you can use a 18mm BP Estes C motor at 8.7 NS total.
So... over twice the energy from an eighteen mm motor. So there's that.

Well you can have a full D with 19.8 NS total impulse or you can use a 18mm BP Estes C motor at 8.7 NS total.
So... over twice the energy from an eighteen mm motor. So there's that.
Sure. Or I could just build rockets with 24mm mounts.

If you like them, by all means, keep buying them. The 18/20 motors don't make sense for my flying, and likely never will.

I was ordering some reloads the other day.... seriously..,. what happened.... almost $27 and some change for a pack of D24's... um... what happened.... they were not that expensive last time I ordered them. not that much more I can get E reloads...

I was ordering some reloads the other day.... seriously..,. what happened.... almost $27 and some change for a pack of D24's... um... what happened.... they were not that expensive last time I ordered them. not that much more I can get E reloads...
Sirius shows them for $23.79. But, siriusly (see what I did there?), it looks like all the motors have taken a jump. Even 18mm Qjets.

Hans.

I have 3 24/40 motors, love them. I can't see fooling around with the 18/20's though. I wish the 18mm. D Q-Jets would be closer to a full D.

I have 3 24/40 motors, love them. I can't see fooling around with the 18/20's though. I wish the 18mm. D Q-Jets would be closer to a full D.
I agree. The problem with a full D 18mm reload is that the typical rocket it would work with could likely disappear, thus losing the case. So risking that rocket with a D single use would be potentially less expensive.

Hans.

They are for specific situations where all you have is an 18mm motor mount. The 3pk of D24T and D13WL loads area great value for what they can do. Where else can you get a full D load in 18mm?
All motors have gone up. Due to the costs of raw materials.
Rocketry doesn't have to be expensive but it's not free either.
Try purchasing High Power motors.

If a person has a rocket with an 18mm mount. The rocket might be a little heavy for a C motor, or the flier wants more performance out of an 18mm motor rocket. What can't you see the uses for a
19.6NS motor instead of 8.7 NS motor that is the same size?
Exactly...think of people with the old Venus Probe, Prowler, any number of old Estes kits that had 18mm mounts, but only hit about 200' on a clear and windless day on a C6.

Exactly...think of people with the old Venus Probe, Prowler, any number of old Estes kits that had 18mm mounts, but only hit about 200' on a clear and windless day on a C6.
That is why in my post #47 it would be nice to have some 18mm. Q-jets with more total impulse. I have several Estes 18mm. "clunkers."

That is why in my post #47 it would be nice to have some 18mm. Q-jets with more total impulse. I have several Estes 18mm. "clunkers."
Right. My comment was aimed in support of John Taylor's comment to jmasterj...

There are no spacers to adapt 24/40 reloads to the 24/60 case. You will need to get both cases to fly reloads for both.

Spacers only come into play with high power and high power-style cases and reloads 29 mm and bigger.
I got a 29/40-120. Haven't used it yet but sold as able to handle from 40 to 120 and in between. Not so?

Back