24/40's in a 24/60 case?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
HOWDY everyone.
Maybe this post belongs in propulsion, but I thought I'd ask here.
I just accidentally bought a bunch of motors for a 24/40 case that I thought were disposables. Now I'm looking for a 24/40 case to fly them in, but see that the RMS 24/60 case is at least $10 cheaper than the RMS 24/40 case. So the question is: Can the 24/40 reloads be used in a 24/60 case with some kind of spacer, or MUST I use a 24/40 case? These are going to be flown in models that have a 29mm motor mount anyhow, so the length of the case isn't an issue.

There are no commercial parts to support doing that. It would be an "experimental" configuration if you figured out some work-around of your own, so you would need to be L2 to fly at a Tripoli launch.

Just get the 24/40 case.

FWIW, the 24/40 case has some loads that are really a sweet spot for N-s/$. You might like it.

Last edited:
NO, the liner is too short and it would CATO, iirc the 24/60 maybe also be slightly smaller ID than the 24/40.

Try to see if anyone at one of the local clubs is willing to do a swap for 24/60 reloads or disposables. If I have a 24/40 case (going to have to do some digging), maybe I can swap with you in exchange for dms.

What reloads did you buy?

24/40 and 24/60 liners are completely different diameters to. The 40 has a thinner wall and finer thread. The 24/60 case went with a thicker thread, so the case is thicker which means smaller dia liner. I really wish they came out with the 24/80 and 24/120...

24/40 and 24/60 liners are completely different diameters to. The 40 has a thinner wall and finer thread. The 24/60 case went with a thicker thread, so the case is thicker which means smaller dia liner. I really wish they came out with the 24/80 and 24/120...

That explains why you can't share forward and aft closures for the two casing options. I only have the 24/40 casing, so I didn't realize what the difference was between the closures. I've wanted to try the reloads in the 24/60 case, but didn't want to pay for a whole new system, when I already had the 24/40

You wont be disappointed with having both motors. The D15 load is a favorite of mine. The E18 is a great motor (and loud). The E11 is a great load for those large but light Estes birds. F24 is also a great load. So far I have only flown the F35 in my RMS 29/60 I plan to try out a F62 soon :D

Here are some of my F35 Flights :D

3:26 into the following:

Back