Composite Camper?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugway

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like our old faithful truck camper is starting to fall apart at the seams from a roof that is leaking all around the edges. We were planning on building a new camper, maybe based on the Glen-L plans, with a traditional wood frame, luan interior, aluminum siding exterior, and then moving all the perfectly good appliances, windows, jacks, etc. from the old camper to the new one.

BUT I keep thinking that the whole thing would be MUCH lighter (and rot proof) if I just built the roof and walls out of 1.5" foam insulation and fiberglassed the whole thing inside and out with a layer of 10oz (or more?) E Glass. It would basically be a fiberglass cube that sit in the bed of the truck with a bed over the cab. Am I insane to think that this would be strong enough? I don't really care if the roof is walkable, but I guess I could add some lumber framing to the longer spans and fiberglass them in place as well. Maybe I'll try building some test panels and see if it is as light and strong as I think it would be.

Back