Code Red Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjh1

Reaction score
I am looking for the recommended engines for the Estes Code Red rocket. The only one I found doesn't look anything like this one.
Code_red.jpg

For “mystery” rockets a postal/kitchen scale and Thrustcurve.org are your friends. A couple quick measurements and clicks gets you enough data to make sure you don’t crash stuff 😉

The lp2k website is in error; the picture does not match the model number or description.

EST1824 "Code Red" was an RTF starter set introduced in 1998. It can be found on page 6 of the catalog:
https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Catalogs/Estes_1998_Catalog.pdf
EST2455 "Code Red" was an RTF stand-alone released in 2011. It is on page 10.
https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Catalogs/Estes_2011_Catalog.pdf
To be fair, there have been about a dozen BT-56 based ARF/RTFs that all nearly identical, as can be seen in both these catalogs. There are two main variants with different fin sweep angle. Here is a non-inclusive list:

Tidal Wave, Ionizer, Code Red, Patriot, NSA Starship, Patriarch, Chrome Dome Gold, Chrome Dome Silver, Gold Stike, Riptide.

QuickSilver, Red Storm, Outlaw, Metallizer, and Amazon are also similar, with shorter or longer body lengths. Mach 12 has a different fin can with three sets of interchangeable fins.

If it were me, I'd fly it on a Quest Q-Jet D16-6 (fins might not hold up to a D20). Isn't that what RTF/E2X rockets are for? :D

B6-4 gives you nice low small park flights. C6-5 puts it up there nicely to about 700ft.

The fins on this are strong enough that I typically fly this and it's twin the outlaw with streamer recovery.

I am looking for the recommended engines for the Estes Code Red rocket. The only one I found doesn't look anything like this one.
View attachment 500577
Best advice I can give you is go on line to Thrustcurve.org
Fun free accurate and fast.
Put in rocket specs and it will tell you which motors will work and which will not work as well as altitude, delay times, velocity, and lots of other useful information.

Back