Cluster Estes Fat Boy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weekends

Reaction score
I am looking to cluster an Estes Fat Boy. Basically I want to add a dual 18mm motor mount cut from 3/32" plywood (or 1/8"). Unfortunately I do not have access to the tools that are needed.
If anyone has any ideas how I can go about forging (or purchasing) the dual 18mm motor mount, fire away!

Thanks,
Weekends

I know that you said that you wanted to make your motor mount (abbreviated mmt) from plywood, but you also said that you don't have the tools, so consider this:

I have had a lot of success making motor mounts out of cardboard for low power rockets. The cardboard back of legal pads works well. If you want a stronger mmt, just make several duplicates and glue two or more together until you get the thickness and strength that you want. The beauty of this is that you can usually scrounge the materials for free, and all you need is a knife or a pair of scissors.

You can also accomplish some really fast building times with this method, because you can use cya (cyanoacrylate - super glue) adhesive. Cya bonds cardboard to paper body tubes like mad. As a matter of fact, you have to put the parts of the mmt together, then put the super glue on the joints (I use the thin/fast setting cya). If you try to put the glue on the tube and slide the adapters in place, the cya will almost always set before you can get things lined up.

Once you get the mmt assembled, then you go ahead and put it into the body tube, then once again apply the cya to the joints. You can assemble a mmt and have it in the rocket in a matter of minutes.

Aerotech even uses this method, coupled with fin locks and through-the-wall fin mounting, on their medium power birds.

Just thought I'd toss another option your way.

- Ken

I just wanted to add to what Ken has suggested for you. In addition to being cheap/free and easy to work with, cardboard will also be lighter then plywood. That is a significant concern with the Fat Boy, because from what I hear it doesn't have much stability margin to spare. Even with a very light 2x18mm mmt you will probably need to add weight to the nose. Despite it's stability margin, the Fat Boy seems like a natural platform for modified engine configurations, probably because it's so fat. Be sure to post pics when you get it done.:cool:

Back