Chute attachment to prevent spin and sway on descent to improve video

Discussion in 'Photo/Video Tips' started by BABAR, Feb 3, 2013.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1

BABAR

BABAR

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA TRF Lifetime Supporter TRF Supporter

Posted this before, but reposting for a friend cuz I can't figure out how to send pics/attachments on PM messaging.

This is a method of chute attachment which cuts down on the swaying and spinning on descent. I attach 4 separate shock cords inside the rocket, spread equally around the perimeter. Lots of ways to do this, in my case I cut a piece of same size body tube, make a single longitudinal cut and take out a little section, then re-roll it so it fits just inside the original tube. I attach the four kevlar cords to this equally spaced, and then shove this down like a thrust ring down the throat of the rocket. I use a slightly larger chute so I can put a spill hole in it, this prevents the chute from swaying as it "spills"

Here is the diagram of the attachment: SpillCHute.jpg

Here is the video

I probably need a short shock cord on the nose cone segment, as the dangling nose cone I think imparts a pendulum motion.

Tom

2. Feb 3, 2013 #2

luke strawwalker

luke strawwalker

luke strawwalker

Very interesting... Thank you!

Later! OL JR :)

3. Feb 3, 2013 #3

CarVac

CarVac

CarVac

It looks like a lot of the stability comes from the digital image stabilization in post processing; I can see the time/date flopping around there in the corner.

It is hard to compare without a video with a conventionally anchored shock cord, though.

4. Feb 3, 2013 #4

BABAR

BABAR

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA TRF Lifetime Supporter TRF Supporter

The post processing was done by the YouTube video editor--- brain foof on my part in that I should have said "no" when asked if I wanted it. I am hoping to try forward and aft cameras on the DoubleOrNuthin 36" distance gap staged booster and sustainer sections respectively at the Memphis MidSouth Rocket Society launch Saturday Feb 16th at 1:00 p.m. I may modify the upper stage with the four shock cords and spill chute and see how it comes back. Kind of depends on winds. It is a D12-0 with outboard A6-4s on booster and D12-7 on sustainer. Gonna need a BIG spill hole if I want to see the sustainer (and my CAMERA) again.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013