Choosing Electronics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPMyers

Reaction score
I am currently working on my first dual-deploy rocket. I plan on using this for my L2 Certification.
I have a limited budget to work with so am trying to decide which Dual-deploy altimeter to buy. I don't real care about retaining flight data other than altitude. Basically i am looking for a no-frills unit will do the job depedably without breaking the bank. I would also like to included a tracker of some type same economic constrants.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I am currently working on my first dual-deploy rocket. I plan on using this for my L2 Certification.
I have a limited budget to work with so am trying to decide which Dual-deploy altimeter to buy. I don't real care about retaining flight data other than altitude. Basically i am looking for a no-frills unit will do the job depedably without breaking the bank. I would also like to included a tracker of some type same economic constrants.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
If you solder or are willing to learn, the Eggtimer ecosystem is probably the cheapest way to go. Quark and/or Quantum for deployment, Eggfinder Mini/LCD for the tracking. The GPS upgrade for the LCD is nice but not critical.

If you don't want to get into soldering, I'd go with a Missileworks RRC2+ for deployment. I don't know what the best entries into tracking are outside the Eggtimer ecosystem.

For me, in RC racing, having a stand alone programmer, was much more convenient than a laptop.

So Missleworks was my pic for rocketry. Programmed in less than 5 minutes. No computer or damn software bugs.

For me, in RC racing, having a stand alone programmer, was much more convenient than a laptop.

So Missleworks was my pic for rocketry. Programmed in less than 5 minutes. No computer or damn software bugs.
Eggtimger Quark has 3 jumpers on it to set an apogee delay of 1 second or not and then main deployment altitude of 300' 500' 800' or 1000'. No program at all. Set it for a config and never touch it again. And $20 can't be beat. If you can solder, its what I'd recommend as entry avionics. There are a few services that will solder it for you for a small fee.

http://eggtimerrocketry.com/eggtimer-quark/

Hard to beat the size, utility, price, and availability of the Altus Mini but the MW RRC2 is what you're looking for.

Eggtimger Quark has 3 jumpers on it to set an apogee delay of 1 second or not and then main deployment altitude of 300' 500' 800' or 1000'. No program at all. Set it for a config and never touch it again. And $20 can't be beat. If you can solder, its what I'd recommend as entry avionics. There are a few services that will solder it for you for a small fee.

I've been putting off the eggtimer stuff for a while, although obviously I'm excellent at soldering.

I'll be trying quarks for DD, and and apogee in a 5.5'' Goblin (JLCR), eventually.

Even if you can't solder the Quark isn't much more expensive than a lot of the soldering project boards to learn how. Pick up an apogee and a quark. Build the apogee first to get your confidence and then tackle the quark slowly and carefully.

If you can solder a PCB, Eggtimer is really the economical option. While the Quark suggested above is the most economical solution I know of, it may be worth looking at the Eggtimer Classic if soldering a PCB is something new to you. It is about as easy as it gets. The Quark is awesome, but it does have some super small surface mounted parts.

Do we have a vendor that stocks them? I don't do business with paypal.
Email Cris at Eggtimer and ask. He's always been super-helpful, so he might take a check if you want to mail it in. I don't think I've ever seen a vendor carry his stuff though.

Back