Cheap car rental for NARAM 56 - What I am doing - Feelin' Frugal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75Grandville

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OK, the car rental rates from Denver International Airport are absurd, in my not-so-humble opinion. If I wanted to book today, the best I could do is $750 for 9 days, of which over 43% is taxes and fees. If I go with a national brand (I company I have heard of before - with the exception of Payless, with whom I had an unsatisfactory experience in FL), I'm over $1,000 for an economy car. And no way my whole family plus rocket stuff is fitting in something the size of my Scion xA. Family OR rocket stuff, but not both.

So, I booked a rental through Enterprise, OFF AIRPORT. Got a premium (Chrysler 300 or equivalent) for 9 days for less than $375. Of which ~15% is fees and taxes. The location I booked is:

HOLIDAY INN TOWER
6900 TOWER RD
DENVER, CO 80249

To get there, Holiday Inn runs a shuttle, and I may overnight there for our last night headed home, or a cab ought to run about $25 (based on published rates from a cab company in Denver, and an 8.1 mile trip). Depending on the rental location, an hour bus trip to/from Denver is also an option (https://www.rtd-denver.com/ for bus schedules).

Are there catches? Sure! Their hours are limited - Weekdays 8 am - 6 pm, Saturday 9 am - Noon, Closed Sunday. That means that to catch my Saturday AM flight I am arriving back in Denver Friday night before 6, turning the car in, and staying at an airport hotel. Big deal. For $625 I can put up with a lot.

Hertz also has local locations, and their rates are also much less. Not sure about Budget.

Now if I could just convince my wife that saving $600 entitles me to $500 extra in motor reloads...

Not affiliated with Enterprise, Hertz, Holiday Inn, the City of Denver, Denver International Airport, or those men who have been following you day and night for the past three weeks. Rates/sales/promos may change at any time, without notice, and are considering emigrating to Uganda.

Last edited:
Back