Centering ring tips?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Quigley

Reaction score
I'd like to get some CRs cut for an upcoming rocket of mine, but my dad's workshop is horribly suited to model rocketry. We don't have a drill press, band saw, or lathe. We *do* have a Dremel, though, as well as a miter saw. Any tips as to how to cut the centering rings? If not, any (cheap) alternatives to have them made? I considered laser cutting them, but that's expensive.

You can get one of these from harbor freight. A drill press is preferred, but a steady hand and a powerful drill also work.
CircleCutterAttachment2.JPG

Alex

If you want them made for you, Public Missiles has them available in common sizes.

You can get one of these from harbor freight. A drill press is preferred, but a steady hand and a powerful drill also work.
View attachment 98624

Alex

What's the name of the jig?

If you want them made for you, Public Missiles has them available in common sizes.

I need them in various unusual sizes, that's why I ask. Thanks for the tip though, I'll look into it for future projects.

PML will cut them custom (they can do nearly anything custom) but it will cost more. On the other hand, they are guaranteed to be perfectly centered.

lots of companies sell centering rings, unless you have a drill press i would advice against making your own. using a flycutter could be very hazardous to your body. i make all my own rings and bulkheads but i have all the different hole saws and have customized my flycutter,P1010647.jpg this is 1 of the harder 1's ive done try discount rocketry or giant leap rocketry they should be able to help you ( fly cutters want to beat your knuckles up )

Depends on the size and type of motor(s) and size of the rocket. I made "rings" for both the motor mount itself and the 29mm adapter in my Javelin XL using wide concentric strips of cardstock, and that rocket should be able to take anything up to a small J. I also have custom rings made by Bill at Balsa Machining Service that are masterpieces of art that I obtained at a paint-by-numbers price. BMS is all set up for this kind of thing; it's their bread-and-butter. To make ordering them Caveman-simple, use the "Centering Ring/Motor Mount" tool at Payload Bay (https://www.payloadbay.com/index.php?page=Tools&action=RINGS).

Back