center of gravity

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RecklesRocketeer

Reaction score
i used to have an RC plane until i crashed it after installing new parts and overlooking a fatal mistake in the motor mount which sent it into a fast nose dive straight into the ground.
anyway, i salvaged and kept the wreck all those years and now i want to strap a rocket motor on it so i can send it on one last flight.

there's only one problem i have so far: this plane is very sensitive about its center of gravity. even a tiny offset causes it to lose all stability, but when it's balanced properly it flies and glides like a bird.

so my question is, how do i mount the motor so the CG stays in the right place before and after the fuel burns away? or should it be nose heavy on takeoff so it gets balanced out when it burns all the fuel?

Ummmmm......if the nose is heavy on take off, don't you think the plane spiral out of control & nose dive into ground? Sounds very unsafe. Don't do it!

You probably shouldn't launch it, as a rocket and a plane have fairly different control surfaces and centers of mass.

Can you tell us about the plane? Is it a delta wing, or a conventional aircraft? What is the wingspan?

Given your username, plus you made a mistake on the motor mount before and the fact you are saying "one last flight" it sounds like you dont expect it to survive, added to sounding like you dont understand cg and thrustlines and are using old equipment, you just risk hurting someone and starting a fire.

Back