Cape Byron Rocketry - The Yalga 2 stage beta build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There is a place called Cape Byron... and there is a TRF member called @Cape Byron ... The former is a real place and to be honest, looks like another bucket list addition to my extensive "Get to Australia Before I die" list.

1679278966785.png

I am not sure exactly when I became aware of @Cape Byron 's offerings... but he (she?) seems like a valuable contributor to TRF. I do not know if @Cape Byron is actually from or at Cape Byron, but if they are, it looks like they are lucky indeed.

So there is Cape Byron Rocketry (CBR). I contacted CBR about their Model Rocketry offerings because I love the idea of rockets from down under AND I need as many friends in Oz as possible to afford to trip to observe the best dark skies in the world who still speak English! Not to mention have amazing wines.

With a few messages through TRF, a bit of dough through PP, and nice exchange, Lo and Behold "Rockets From Down Under" appeared! And it seems like I do not have to point them down for them to go up!!

CBR_kits.JPG

The kits are immaculately packaged! They came across the pond unscathed!

Last edited:
So it seems like, at least in some circles, the the people of Oz remember (and honor?) their indigenous population rather than how we... oh snap. More political truths I can not express here on TRF... fine. The USA... nuff said. :)

Yalga accord to CBR is the "Tip of the Spear" when indigenous populations used spears to fish. I personally think it is an AMAZING name for a rocket. The Tip of the Spear.

Lets look at the kit:

The instructions are pretty good. Lots of words. Okay illustrations. Anyone who can read, should be able to follow them. My kit is a very early one. I am sending any instruction revisions I think might be useful to @Cape Byron

Yalga-00010.JPG

You get a template for making a fin guide. I have guides. So I'll skip that. There is no scale box on the template. Something I will mention to CBR

Yalga-00011.JPG

Parts

Yalga-00013.JPG

That seems to be a Custom Rockets nose cone from the unique screw eye attachment. They have used that since the 90's when I got my first few Custom Rockets kits (Like the Dynamic Carrier)

This is a two stage beta test kit so there are also parts for the booster. It is advisable to read the instructions for the booster as there is a step or two to skip on the sustainer instructions if using the booster. I would presume the final instructions of the sustainer will change to add that note.

On the whole, I see nothing other than good parts. And it comes with a baffle. Always a good sign!

The boost engine block is installed at the aft end of the motor mount tube. I checked with CBR and yes, that is correct. The booster motor is friction fitted from the top of the booster. The motors are gap staged. You need to use tape to friction fit the booster motor to keep it from sliding forwards.

Yalga-00020.JPG

As you can see, the rings are installed. They have gaps for a motor hook, but there is no hook in either the booster nor sustainer in this two stage configuration. The sustainer comes with a hook but is not used in the two stage configuration.

This is the booster body tube marked at 120* and then a 3 ring binder punch used to create the gap staging vent holes
Yalga-00018.JPG

Last edited:
These are the six fins. All laser cut and were already removed from the wood. They came wrapped in plastic wrap.
One booster fin was noticeably more dense than the other two. Not that it will make a hill of beans difference. Just obviously a different sheet of balsa.
The fins were sanded with 220 grit and then the sustainer fin's leading edges rounded. The other edges had the laser 'nubs' sanded off.

The fins have been given their first coating of sanding sealer.

Yalga-00017.JPG

There is a place called Cape Byron... and there is a TRF member called @Cape Byron ... This former is a real place and to be honest, looks like another bucket list addition to my extensive "Get to Australia Before I die" list.
Cape Byron is a nice place. I remember standing near that lighthouse watching porpoises surfing in the waves. They would surf in on the waves, turn around and then do it all over again. Amazing to watch. Also near there is the most Easterly point of Oz.

Coupler inserted for marking the holes in the coupler. You can't punch them after its glued in. So insert,
Yalga-00030.JPG

mark

Yalga-00029.JPG

remove, punch, then glue with vents lined up.

Yalga-00028.JPG

Just remember, punch first, then glue

Last edited:
With 4mm wide (or tall) greeble line marked, cut out the greeble guide and wrap. The sustainer's shorter body tube is at the top

Yalga-00026.JPG

Marks are done

Yalga-00024.JPG

I use a cheap stereo microscope that I use for building Eggtimer Products to kinda-sorta mark 4mm off the half round styrene rod.

Yalga-00022.JPG

and the first greebles... and I can already see they vary in length. :( No matter I have a nail file that should even them out. Greebles go on before the fins so the tube is easier to work with.

Yalga-00021.JPG

Last edited:
Well all the booster greebles are on. Sorry @Cape Byron, they are a rag tag lot... proving once again, I am no @hcmbanjo!
Once the CA is fully cured, I'll put the sustainer tube on and clean up the lengths with a nail file.
The booster circle is on, the sustainer circle will wait until I have filled and sanded the sustainer tubes. Which I forgot to do on the booster but is easy peasy since the fins are not on yet and I was lucky (skilled?) enough to not put the disc greeble on a tube spiral.

Yalga-00041.JPG

So the fins are on the booster and filleted. I used Arlenes so I could do all the fillets at once.
The bottom half of the sustainer it there just to show of the greebles

Yalga-00036.JPG

The baffle is a work of art. Perhaps a little over engineered(?). But a work of art. I may see about order an assortment of those! :)

Yalga-00035.JPG

Ten grams combined of brass BBs and epoxy in the nose. The inside was cleaned with rubbing alcohol and scratched up with a sanding sponge.

Yalga-00037 copy.JPG

The baffle is sanded (it was a tad large as the instructions pointed out) and the kevlar attached to it. Let glue run way down with a chop-stick and the baffle slid home against the coupler

Yalga-00053.JPG

The sustainer fins are on and filleted. Arlene's again.
Yalga-00052.JPG

Yalga-00050.JPG

And the greebles are growing on the sustainer
Yalga-00051.JPG

Well well here she/he/whatever is in all his/his/their glory. Naked as a Jay Bird... (WHY is a Jay Bird Naked?)
Yalga-00048.JPG

He/She/It is really a sharp looking bird IMO. And I am not just sayin' that cause I am sucking up to CBR. I paid. :)
I was tempted to simply shoot some paint. But no. I'll prime it. The booster will have to be red like the forward part of the sustainer. I don't want to be looking for a black booster on the desert floor. Heck fluorescent orange would be best!

Otherwise She'll/He'll/They will get the recommended Red White and (thank goodness not blue!) black the instructions call for.

So far, without the chute, we have a:
70gm two stage model with a CG of about 38cm from the nose (edit: this is almost spot on the CBR ORK file) - The mass is without the C motors - The CG is with

59gm single stage model with a CG 30cm from the nose (cg when there is a C6-7 loaded)

Last edited:
So I painted the booster red. Why no primer you say!!!??? WTF????

Forgive me. I want to launch this rocket this weekend on a B to A and C to B. I wanted to give myself a fighting chance to find the booster. And all my two stage boosters get a little beaten up anyway! Left 'brown', well, if you look at my personal launch reports (you do read them right?), you can see brown may not be the best color.

Yalga-00059.JPG

It is not horrible. But it would have been a little cleaner with primer.

However mean I could be to the booster, I had to spray primer love on the sustainer. That revealed a nasty mold line I had missed... but again... time waits for no man/women/trans etc. And Saturday is approaching...
The Krylon primer is runny junk... but it dries fast. So I could sand out the runs.

Yalga-00060.JPG

And was able to shoot Valspar red (like the booster)

Yalga-00058.JPG

That is most likely as far as I'll go until after it launches (assuming it does) on Saturday. If it survives my machinations, it'll earn its white and black paint and the neat vinyl strip included in the kit. I think it'll be a B6-0 to an A8-5 (tho ORK says -3 is better). If there is time I'll go for a C6-0 to B6-6 (but that MIGHT have to be a streamer - which I know goes against the beta testing idea).

Not really. Could be something worth adding to the instructions. The same goes with smaller parachutes or cutting spill holes. You do want to get it back, right?
YES! I am supposed to be like the average Joe/Jane/them. They don't want a fire and forget... at least not most.

You really are a nice guy/gal/person! I'll have to see if there is time to go for that second flight and what the conditions are. I'd like to stick to the instructions since that is what future customer will deal with. However one of a great parts of the design, I think, is the forward fins. It not only looks cool, but a streamer landing might not be that bad since it is unlikely to hit on the fins. I think? :dontknow::questions:

However one of a great parts of the design, I think, is the forward fins.

Thanks for that, 'cause I agree!

I think the 'spear' look really worked well. One of my favourite designs.

It was a trade off between fin size, fin placement, BT length and wanting no nose weight. The nose weight thing went bye bye for the two stage, but that was expected.

Reinforcing the BT end, after the MMT is fitted, with CA might not be a bad idea. Mine have had some heavy landings with chute experiments, but always on grass.

It flies!!!
Absolutely bonza!

C6-0 to an A8-5. Just about right. Jolly Logic said 663ft (200m).

Everything was recovered. Booster tumbled in (unlike many kits where is streamlines in!)

I could not get in the 'all up' C6 to C6 flight. Next time.

She/He/It has earned the rest of the finishing.

MDARS-20230325 (47 of 326).jpg

MDARS-20230325 (46 of 326).jpg
MDARS-20230325 (79 of 326)-2.jpg
MDARS-20230325 (79 of 326).jpg
MDARS-20230325 (80 of 326).jpg

Last edited:
I'll finish this build thread with images of the finished sustainer in a bit.
I have other non CBR carnage from the launch to attend to. :rolleyes:

However CBR deserves a "Good Job". And a cool looking round.

Now about my free night's stay in Cape Byron???

It flies!!!
Absolutely bonza!

C6-0 to an A8-5. Just about right. Jolly Logic said 663ft (200m).

Everything was recovered. Booster tumbled in.

I could not get in the 'all up' C6 to C6 flight. Next time.

She/He/It has earned the rest of the finishing.

YES!!!

Fantastic news. You've made my day/weekend/month/year to date. 🤠

Back