Two Up - A Cape Byron Rocketry Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Before my life turned into a bit of a CATO (more than a bit but no point in expanding on that here) I purchased two kits from @Cape Byron Rocketry.

The Yalga, which is a really nice looking, and good performing 18mm two stage rocket (or is two stage now) and the Two Up, a clustered rocket using two 13mm motors.

Like the Yalga, the Two Up kit is really complete and very high quality. Super well shipped. The instructions are very well done. Overall a great value IMO even with shipping and you get something other than Yet Another Estes Rocket.

So we'll document some of the build here.

There are images of the parts
Parts bag with baffle. Cord. Screw eye. The fin alignment guide

Two Up-00001.JPG

Decals. I love the decals. Gotta make a 'roo for the yalga (or whatever the indigenous people called the 'roo)

Two Up-00002.JPG

Motor mount parts - more about that later as I made some changes

Two Up-00003.JPG

And all the rest.

Two Up-00004.JPG

Cool to see David Qualman’s parts (made about 160 miles from where I live) sent to Oz and back. It looks like in addition to the baffle there is the fin alignment guide and probably the centering rings, too.

I shouldn't make jokes; I live with a Koori / English dictionary on the desk. The land the farm is on has traditional owners, the Widjabul Wia-bal people of the Bundjalung nation. The nation was originally about 6,000 square kilometres (2,300 square miles) and consisted of around 20 main tribes. Interestingly, the two main Bundjalung totems are the snake and the goanna which are both plentiful around here.

Koonorigan, our 'suburb' on the ridge is a Koori word meaning 'many springs'. Indeed, the ridge is an enormous aquifer and we have many freshwater springs on the farm. The water is crisp, clean, and bloody cold.

Cool to see David Qualman’s parts (made about 160 miles from where I live) sent to Oz and back. It looks like in addition to the baffle there is the fin alignment guide and probably the centering rings, too.

Indeed the CRs are David's, as is the guide and the baffle. Love David's work. Couldn't recommend his products highly enough.

The best of everything, that's what I strive for. 🤠

Indeed the CRs are David's, as is the guide and the baffle. Love David's work. Couldn't recommend his products highly enough.

And for the most part have done... only the engine blocks have given me pause. Tiny bit too small making them hard to get square. Better to cut four in that piece (there is room for four) and double them up.

And for the most part have done... only the engine blocks have given me pause. Tiny bit too small making them hard to get square. Better to cut four in that piece (there is room for four) and double them up.

Duly noted.

"Honest feedback is the best form of market research." - Bruce Lamington

Last edited:
So I did a few things "a bit" differently than the instructions.
I did not put the aft centering ring where told. I recessed it quite a bit.

The reason is I cut off the easy to use part of the retainer hooks. I had heard/read they might cause thrust vectoring with A10s. Given that nice rounded curve was not there to push on, it seemed to me, having the centering ring flush with the aft edge of the body tube would make it hard (and maybe painful) to move the hook to load the motors. So I deeply recessed that ring.

I installed the fins and realized something was amiss. So I removed them and cut new ones. All is well.

IMG_2667.JPG

I really like @Cape Byron 's kits. The instructions are thoughtful, give good advice if you are new to rocketry, and good advice even if not so new.
I like they are from down under. And I like they are not yet another Estes 3/4 FNC designed with profit rather than enjoyment in mind. (IMO and YMMV)

Now onto fillet of fillets and priming.

PS: I know Estes is vital to the hobby... just wish they were not.)

I installed the fins and realized something was amiss. So I removed them and cut new ones. All is well.

My friend is being generous here.

I sent the wrong fin set with the kit. They were from a trial cut set that had the grain incorrectly orientated.

So… we make the occasional mistake like anyone else. Tell us what the problem is and we’ll fess up and fix it.

Couldn't agree more on Dave Qualman's stuff http://www.qualmanrocketry.com/ He's also very willing to make a size he doesn't list on his site or send you a prototype if it's something more complex. Shipping costs in the US are super affordable as well

When were these kits made?

The Two-Up kits? If so, I found two sets of fins in the ‘fin box’ and made two kits. Maybe March this year? I’ve contacted the buyer of the other kit.

The incorrectly oriented fins got placed, by me, in the wrong place.

I have nothing to hide. I made a mistake. I can’t blame anyone else, I’m the only one here.

The Two-Up kits? If so, I found two sets of fins in the ‘fin box’ and made two kits. Maybe March this year? I’ve contacted the buyer of the other kit.

The incorrectly oriented fins got placed, by me, in the wrong place.

I have nothing to hide. I made a mistake. I can’t blame anyone else, I’m the only one here.
Okey Dokey, I must have missed them back in the day last month. From what I've seen of theatrical punishments from Down Under, your easiest punishment for having shipped incorrectly oriented fins in a kit would be to have your ankle chained to the front of a wrecked car with a long burn motor attached to the gas tank. Your are then given a dull hack saw and the count down to motor ignition begins. Not enough time to cut through the chain but maybe enough time to cut through the ankle. That would be more exciting than simply being tied to the front of a truck and driven into the back of other vehicles at high speeds...although with that punishment we might actually be able to accurately find your CP! All I know about Oz and rockets I learned in the cinema. Crikey, it's time for a beeeer. Goodday Mate! :)

Now that I think about it there is no punishment at all. The fins were oriented correctly for the Northern Hemisphere version because of reverse toilet bowl spin experienced up there. Whew, that was a close call, a simple misunderstanding of basic physics.

Now that I think about it there is no punishment at all. The fins were oriented correctly for the Northern Hemisphere version because of reverse toilet bowl spin experienced up there. Whew, that was a close call, a simple misunderstanding of basic physics.
Speaking of hemispheric differences…

“Coriolis” would be a good name for my next helicopter rocket.

Sent to Oz and back. Sounds like the documented travels of the Hobbits down there. From here to there and back again. Lord of the Motor Mount Rings. It's just amazing how cheap shipping is these days with the big container ships and globalization. Heck, you could easily use one of the last built Boeing 747 cargo planes. Just don't want to see the last of the Australian built V8's used, because we all know the world will end when that happens. Mad Max rules!

So assembly is complete including atmospheric sensor greebles. 42 grams
Seems to balance about 205 mm from the nose without motors or the chute.

IMG_2670.JPG

Send me the ork please.
And whats with the miss murphy (or something like that) decals? With 8 silver stripes? And the red, black yellow roos?

ORK is in your messenger.

The original Two-Up livery was deemed 'too military' by a customer, so we changed the decals. Probably include both sets in future production.

The tesselated kangaroos are the same as the one in the Longreach kit. Love the roos. I can make art when I try hard...
I'm getting a big batch made up, along with Cape Byron Rocketry decals that will go in all the new kits when they are released.

You got a fistful (small fist) of bits. The stripes are genuine vintage Pactra pinstriping tape, to be placed as you see fit.

The 'Miss Macbeth' decal has a bit of history... We have a semi-tame gweela (brush turkey) here. They are one ugly bird, until you get used to their looks. There is an Elvis Costello song 'Miss Macbeth' which has the line. "Her bloodless face ran red inside but was she really evil, was she only pantomime?" Well, Miss Macbeth the gweela had a red face and looks evil, but isn't. I had some decals cut for a kit bearing her name, but they are so small the dot on the 'i' doesn't make it to the transfer paper.

Sooo... I threw it in your kit box. Now you know the story and can decide whether your Two-Up is really evil, or only pantomime.

gweela.jpg

I went with fluorescent orange with an overcoat of gloss acrylic. Gloss white and black
Vinyl decals by @Cape Byron

I like it!

Kit is highly recommended. First rate. Give him your business if you can.

First flight will be 2xA10-3's because I have a ton of them. When? We'll see. MDARS for sure if not sooner at ROCTwo-Up-Completed.JPG

That's an IPA not an American lager swill.

Last edited:
Back