Calvin&Hobbes 2 Stage High power Rocket for URRF

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the lack of an updates thread but I have 6 more days to have everything don and packed. Everything is primed minus sustainer.
Need to do:

- 3 shear pin holes in sustainer

- nose cone AVbay

- prime/paint/decals on everything

Ordered some more wire to complete the setup of the electronics bays.

I am really cutting it close. Hopefully I can finish all the drilling and nose one AVbay tomorrow so I just have to paint.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

I have faith in you!
It should be one heck of a flight- this has been an exciting build from beginning to end!
Btw cutting it close is for sure... but hey, my jr. L1 rocket want painted until the day before the cert flight. Looking forward to a flight report and pics :)

Nate

Thanks Nate

If worst comes to worst it will fly with a painted booster and altimeter bays and a primed sustainer. So it won't be completely naked:):):)

Lower part of the sustainer is sanded and rest for primer.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403263283.675449.jpg

Booster AV bay is masked/papered off for the red paint.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403263397.172251.jpg

Booster is also primed awaiting paint this weekend.

Cut out the nose Cone sled.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403273513.927119.jpg

Cut the bulkhead that will be epoxied in place inside the nose cone with a 2" center hole. I ordered threaded inserts to attach the other bulkhead that has the sled and eye bolt to this bulkhead.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403273606.316325.jpg

Painted the booster AV bay metallic red:):)

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403274867.036603.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403274887.365832.jpg

Tacked down the sled to the bulkhead with CA. My plan is to make large epoxy fillets on the bottom and on the back with the eyebolt threads.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403290785.889681.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403290812.540314.jpg

Everything mounted.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403292766.891731.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403292786.578652.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403292816.909502.jpg

Will do the fillet later and then the threaded inserts to hold it all together.

Lower part of the sustainer is sanded and rest for primer.

View attachment 175109

Booster AV bay is masked/papered off for the red paint.

View attachment 175110

Booster is also primed awaiting paint this weekend.

Just saw these pics. now for whatever reason... but I see you're putting the school work to good use!:p

Nate

Haha ya I took my math regents today so time to put my homework and WS to good use:):)

Like I said HUGE epoxy fillet. This sled isn't going anywhere.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403310336.331917.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403310366.871306.jpg

Lower sustainer painted white and sanded with 320 grit sandpaper.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403310407.803086.jpg

With the EBay

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403310445.642213.jpg

I was surprised to find a perfect joint where the lower part meets the EBay. It came out great without a crack:):)

Got the wires connected to the upper AV bay. One terminal is for the second stage igniter and the other for the drogue deployment. I am thinking of going drogue less with a 48" chute at 600ft.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403310641.823408.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403310655.650582.jpg

Forgot to mention that the shorter wire will connect to the terminal on the sled which is connected to the igniter shunt switch.

Thanks .

Finished spraying the white. Am going to let it dry and by noon I should be able spray the orange on the fins. Am going to pick up more primer today to finish the booster and payload of the sustainer and will paint them hopefully on Sunday if all goes well.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403352742.427584.jpg

Metallic orange fins drying now. After they dry will give them a clear coat.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403370694.988745.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403370715.038825.jpg

Well I don't know what happened but I left for an hour and when I came back the paint was DESTROYED. I don't know what I'm going to do but it definitely sucks. I will get pictures tomorrow after it drys.

Well I don't know what happened but I left for an hour and when I came back the paint was DESTROYED. I don't know what I'm going to do but it definitely sucks. I will get pictures tomorrow after it drys.

That sucks!!

This build has been quite a roller coaster!

Nate

Here are some pics.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403377470.998286.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403377499.831571.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403377520.144163.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions????please let me know if you do.

It's pretty bad. I'm going to wait until tomorrow and then sand it down until it's almost smooth with 320 f
Grit and the wets and it with 3000grit. If I have to I will touch it up. Then
clear.

Nose cone and the sustainer AV bay primed waiting to dry to be sanded and hopefully will get the nose cone painted orange tonight.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403386820.495585.jpg

Well my neighbors are probably saying " what the f..k is he doing at 7:30 in the morning" but I started spraying the nose cone orange.

This morning I sanded down the sustainer and am going to touch it up with some white to make it look good.:):)

Going to sand the sustainer booster after I'm done with the nose cone and prime it.

You sure are working hard on this for sure Conner...
I totally understand that looks mean a great deal to you
and don't blame you one bit, especially after you put this amount of
work and time and effort into the looks / paint job on this smokin gorgeous rocket...
But--------
It's very important that you keep your focus on a flight of this complexity...
No one,,, No body knows the intricacies of this rocket and of this flight like you do...
You designed it and built it...
No matter how concerned you are with the looks of the rocket,,,
You make certain that you are more concerned that everything functions in flight exactly as you intend it to...

Your doing fantastic Conner......
Keep up the good work.....

Teddy

Thanks teddy. I have figured out all if the electronics and deployment.

Starting with the booster:

I will be using an eggtimer in my booster AVbay. It will use a burn timer of 3300ms and will fire the separation charge 3 seconds after burnout of the booster motor. For deployment the 26" chute will be kicked out at a designated altitude.( will figure it out after I have final weights.)

Sustainer:

The sustainer AV bay will house another eggtimer and a RRC2 for dual deployment. The eggtimer will control the ignition of the sustainer Motor. Again it will have a 3300ms burn timer and a 4 second delay after motor burnout upon that it will light only if nose over hasn't been reached and it hasn't dropped below the 100mph minimum velocity.
The RRc2 will be used for deployment of the sustainer parachutes. It will deploy the chutes even if the sustainer motor doesn't light for safety. I will drop it drogue less with the main 48" chute coming out at 600ft.

Nose cone:

In the nose cone I have my egg finder tracker for tracking purposes.

Forgot to mention that for the sustainer motor igniter I am using an shunt for sacred when setting it up on the pad. It will be turned on after everything is up and running.

Wow Conner,,,
You most certainly have put a massive amount of thought and planning into this flight....
You have worked hard Conner,,,
Now stay focused,,,, especially when prepping the rocket at the field....
I will be there rooting you on like a maniac........ lol

Teddy

Hahaha thanks is it still ok that I borrow your 38mm 360 case and closures? I was thinking that I will call you on Saturday to try to park and set up next to you to make the certification process easier and you don't have to walk very far to get to me:):):) looking forward to it.

Re did the white on the bottom half of the sustainer. Everything is looking good.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403445500.691434.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403445519.947468.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403445543.999871.jpg

Conner,,
You are more then welcome to borrow my hardware....
I don't know how the parking situation will jive out,,,,
It's going to be a very busy launch....
But I don't really think it matters very much.....

Teddy

Back