Call for Judges: Spaceport America Cup 2022

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hanson

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We are looking for folks with HPR expertise to be judges for the upcoming Spaceport America Cup. This year’s SA Cup will be held at the Las Cruces Convention Center on 20-21 June and at Spaceport America, NM on 22-25 June 2022.

We are expecting over 1,500 student rocketry team members representing 145 collegiate teams from 24 countries for the 2022 SA Cup. This is a great chance to meet and work with some very talented and enthusiastic student teams from all over the world.

This year, teams will be launching their competition rockets to either 10,000’ or 30,000’, carrying an 8.8 pound payload, and recovering both rocket and payload in flyable condition. Their rockets will be powered by either solid, liquid, or hybrid motors. Teams will be scored on flight performance, the build quality of their rocket, and the quality of their technical reports and documentation.

For those of you who remember the "wild and wooly" Green River days, we have now partnered with TRA and are operating under TRA rules. Judge, volunteer, and participant safety is front and center in our cross-check!

Teams will be holding in-person “poster sessions” and technical presentations at the Las Cruces Convention Center on June 21, 2022. Teams will travel to Spaceport America on June 22 and will begin launching that afternoon. Launches will continue through noon on Saturday, June 25.

We are hoping that you will agree to be a judge or volunteer for the 2022 Spaceport America Cup. We need people with STEM or aerospace backgrounds – either practical or academic – to be part of our judging panel. While familiarity with rocketry is a plus and we do need HPR-certified judges, certification is not required. We will provide training to familiarize you with the necessary aspects of your judging tasks.

Judges are expected to be on-site starting with the kick-off meeting the evening of 20 June and during the sessions at the Convention Center on 21 June, plus on-site at Spaceport America from Wednesday morning, 22 June through the afternoon of 25 June. For those unable to physically be at the Cup, we also need reviewers for team technical reports, which can be done remotely.

We also need volunteers for everything from directing crowds to directing launches and everything in between, so if you are willing to help, we will find you a place. Volunteers and judges should be in good health and able to spend full days out in summer heat.

We are using HeroX.com to coordinate judges, teams, and volunteers at https://www.herox.com/SpaceportAmericaCup2022. If you are willing to help, please go to the HeroX site and fill out the volunteer application by clicking the “Solve this Challenge” button. It’s not the most user-friendly form in the world -- detailed instructions for filling out the application are below my signature.

If you know of friends or colleagues who would be interested in this opportunity, please feel free to pass this message to them. We are always looking for judges and volunteers!

If you have any questions or need clarification, please email me at [email protected] or DM me. I hope to hear from you soon!

Best regards,
- Bill Hanson

William Hanson, PhD, Colonel, USAF (ret)
Director of Competition Rules, Spaceport America Cup
[email protected]
NAR 105937 TRA 18668
Level 3

Detailed instruction for filling out the volunteer application: Go to - https://www.herox.com/SpaceportAmericaCup2022
  1. Click on the "Solve This Challenge" button
  2. You will need to register for HeroX by filling out the popup form (if you already are registered on HeroX, just log in)
  3. If you had to register, you'll receive an email confirmation, click the link to confirm your email address
  4. Next, you'll be on the Competitor Registration page (yes, this is confusing because it looks like you are applying to compete) – click “Register to Compete”
  5. Next you’ll see the SA Cup Competitor Agreement, scroll to the bottom and click “Accept”
  6. Click the "No, I want to compete individually" button
  7. Click the “My Entries” button
  8. Scroll down to the Volunteer Application, then click "Begin Entry"
  9. Be sure to fill out all the required fields and click “save & preview"
  10. Submit final entry – that will put you into our judge and volunteer pool

We are looking for folks with HPR expertise to be judges for the upcoming Spaceport America Cup. This year’s SA Cup will be held at the Las Cruces Convention Center on 20-21 June and at Spaceport America, NM on 22-25 June 2022.

We are expecting over 1,500 student rocketry team members representing 145 collegiate teams from 24 countries for the 2022 SA Cup. This is a great chance to meet and work with some very talented and enthusiastic student teams from all over the world.

This year, teams will be launching their competition rockets to either 10,000’ or 30,000’, carrying an 8.8 pound payload, and recovering both rocket and payload in flyable condition. Their rockets will be powered by either solid, liquid, or hybrid motors. Teams will be scored on flight performance, the build quality of their rocket, and the quality of their technical reports and documentation.

For those of you who remember the "wild and wooly" Green River days, we have now partnered with TRA and are operating under TRA rules. Judge, volunteer, and participant safety is front and center in our cross-check!

Teams will be holding in-person “poster sessions” and technical presentations at the Las Cruces Convention Center on June 21, 2022. Teams will travel to Spaceport America on June 22 and will begin launching that afternoon. Launches will continue through noon on Saturday, June 25.

We are hoping that you will agree to be a judge or volunteer for the 2022 Spaceport America Cup. We need people with STEM or aerospace backgrounds – either practical or academic – to be part of our judging panel. While familiarity with rocketry is a plus and we do need HPR-certified judges, certification is not required. We will provide training to familiarize you with the necessary aspects of your judging tasks.

Judges are expected to be on-site starting with the kick-off meeting the evening of 20 June and during the sessions at the Convention Center on 21 June, plus on-site at Spaceport America from Wednesday morning, 22 June through the afternoon of 25 June. For those unable to physically be at the Cup, we also need reviewers for team technical reports, which can be done remotely.

We also need volunteers for everything from directing crowds to directing launches and everything in between, so if you are willing to help, we will find you a place. Volunteers and judges should be in good health and able to spend full days out in summer heat.

We are using HeroX.com to coordinate judges, teams, and volunteers at https://www.herox.com/SpaceportAmericaCup2022. If you are willing to help, please go to the HeroX site and fill out the volunteer application by clicking the “Solve this Challenge” button. It’s not the most user-friendly form in the world -- detailed instructions for filling out the application are below my signature.

If you know of friends or colleagues who would be interested in this opportunity, please feel free to pass this message to them. We are always looking for judges and volunteers!

If you have any questions or need clarification, please email me at [email protected] or DM me. I hope to hear from you soon!

Best regards,
- Bill Hanson

William Hanson, PhD, Colonel, USAF (ret)
Director of Competition Rules, Spaceport America Cup
[email protected]
NAR 105937 TRA 18668
Level 3

Detailed instruction for filling out the volunteer application: Go to - https://www.herox.com/SpaceportAmericaCup2022
  1. Click on the "Solve This Challenge" button
  2. You will need to register for HeroX by filling out the popup form (if you already are registered on HeroX, just log in)
  3. If you had to register, you'll receive an email confirmation, click the link to confirm your email address
  4. Next, you'll be on the Competitor Registration page (yes, this is confusing because it looks like you are applying to compete) – click “Register to Compete”
  5. Next you’ll see the SA Cup Competitor Agreement, scroll to the bottom and click “Accept”
  6. Click the "No, I want to compete individually" button
  7. Click the “My Entries” button
  8. Scroll down to the Volunteer Application, then click "Begin Entry"
  9. Be sure to fill out all the required fields and click “save & preview"
  10. Submit final entry – that will put you into our judge and volunteer pool
Is the IREC school participation letter what a team needs to enter the competition? Thanks!

Back