Building from the base upwards

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian Salge

Reaction score
Hey Rocketeers, this is my first post on the rocketry forum!

I've been attempting to make a functional rocket from the ground up for a few years now and I have
to say i'm getting pretty close. Of course i'm not building from total scratch, but i do make my own
cardboard tubes (craft paper+(wood glue+alcohol+water)), my own aluminium nozzles (from a 5/8" rod)
and my own blackpowder fuel made from KNO3 (spectracide stump remover), Sulfur and mesquite charcoal.
Getting a nose cone has been a bit of a pain but i pretty much just use the plastic ones when i have them
and i use cardstock for the stabilizer fins.

Anyways now for the questions. First off i would like some information on making blackpowder more
effective for launching rockets. Right now my fuel recipe is the standard 75% KNO3, 15% sulfur and
10% charcoal mixed together homogeneously with 10 grams of dextrin (which i cooked from cornstarch)
for every 100 grams of BP. After that i applied water and pressed it through a metal mesh for aprox.
5-15 mesh sized grains. This works pretty well but if there are better recipes out there i would like to
try them out. My next question is about alternative fuel for my rocket, i've been looking into something
called APCP (ammonium perchlorate composite propellant) which is made of ammonium perchlorate, alluminium
and some binder. The problem with this fuel is that i'm unsure how safe Ammonium perchlorate is and i can't
seem to find any information regarding the binders like PBAN or others, or if they are even safe to use. Last
question, what are some methods for making a nose or what common household items can scrap for a nose cone?

Pretty much any advice is welcome, I'm eager to complete the challenge of making my own scrap rocket instead of
cheating like those people who buy some $15 rocket and a few estes engines just to say they made their own rocket.
Lectures about safety are unwelcomed unless you have something specific to say (e.g. "PBAN is toxic and will kill you
instantly"). I'm 18 years old and i know enough about rockets, safety and chemistry not to kill myself with the materials
i've been using.

Thanks!
Christian Salge

YEAHHHHH !!!--NOT feelin the love here. Don't want to see ya on the 11 O'CLOCK news either! Consider another info outlet/inlet.---HORNET

This is not the forum for you. Trust me on this one.

There *are* forums out there for the discussion of rammed black powder motors, but I'll warn you that reliable and consistent black powder motors are exceptionally difficult to produce.

There are other forms for the discussion of amateur propellants that are *far* more novice-friendly than BP and APCP.

If you want to make your own motors, it really is best join your local HPR club and get lessons from someone who knows how to do it.

As to making your own nose cones, search the forums. I know that I have documented most of my methods for custom nose cones here.

Mr. Salge,

Certainly you are welcome here. The place to discuss propellant formula, however, is in the research section of this forum. If you are aged 18 years, are a US citizen and maintain high power certification you may gain membership by petitioning here: [email protected].

Feckless

Back