Build Thread: Zeerust Alpha

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lassahn

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
While playing around with stability calculations, I've been looking at a lot of streamlined shapes and tail tapers. It's all made me want to build something with that retro, ultra streamlined look. I was thinking it was going to be too hard to get all the curves right, until I realized you can use cut down ogive nose cones for things other than noses (I know I'm not the first one to figure this out, but it still makes me happy!)

So here's my design, the Zeerust Alpha, perfect for that little family picnic trip to the Canals of Mars.
zeerust.jpeg
It's all stock parts, with the tail made from a hacked up version of the nose cone (Would this be a 3F8N?)
Now I just wait for the ordered parts to arrive...

:dancingelephant: Parts have arrived.

Some things I found out cutting down the tail piece:
It's good to mark the fin locations before cutting the tip off the cone because the end point makes a good reference for keeping the lines straight.
You can use masking tape to lay out a geodesic on the curved piece so the fin lines are straight.
An engine mount centering ring has an inside diameter that's the right size to use to mark the cut point.
It takes a lot of cleanup to get the inside of the cut to a reasonable geometry, first trimming the edge with a blade then sanding smooth.

Here's the parts:
parts.jpg

Making the fins today.

I'm trying out for the first time laminating the balsa with paper. It works great, there's a nice smooth surface and the fins are quite strong.
I tried using onion skin tracing paper first, which doesn't work at all -- it bunches up and won't lay flat on the balsa. Normal typing paper is definitely the way to go.

I drew the fin cutting templates on the paper, used basic white glue to laminate it to both sides of a balsa sheet, then cut the fins.

I finished the unpapered leading and trailing edges with a couple of passes of sanding to round and coating with Elmer's Wood Filler.

The combination of paper and wood filler reinforce the pointed tips so they survive cutting and sanding -- with just balsa they would have snapped off for sure.

On the whole it's been a big success.
fins.jpg

Looks good so far. I like the design - has the 1950's "B" Sci-Fi Movie vibe to it.

Awesome but useless fin pods! I dunno, maybe it where we keep the Cavorite...

If I were doing it over again, I'd choose balsa nose and tailcones for these instead of plastic. I ended up having to do a bunch of sanding and filling to clean up the seams, and balsa might have made that all easier. Still think plastic is the way to go for the main body, though.

pods.jpg

Gluing up fins to the tail. I'm using Gorilla glue for the wood to plastic joints. I'm not accurate enough to get a really exact fit on the curved fin root edges so having a glue that does a little gap filling makes things work better. There's a bit of bubbling around the edges, but I'm adding fin fillets now that hopefully will hide all that.
fins2.jpg

Where's the Center of Pressure of this thing?

I've got two opinions. With OpenRocket, I hacked in a set of tube fins to try to model the pods, they're probably not very accurate. CP at 28.8cm (without the pods it give 27.9cm)
OpenRocketCP.png
With the CFD program I'm working on, I get the CP at 30cm
AerodynamicsCP.png
So the answer is probably somewhere between 10mm and 30mm behind the body to tail seam. Which means I'll want the CG to be maybe 20mm in front of the seam.

I would still swing test it before adding too much nose weight to shift the cg that far forward unnecessarily. The pods give additional drag stability that I am not sure if open rocket predicts very well. The CFD sim is probably getting it a little better. I think you are on the right track.

Where's the Center of Pressure of this thing?

I've got two opinions. With OpenRocket, I hacked in a set of tube fins to try to model the pods, they're probably not very accurate. CP at 28.8cm (without the pods it give 27.9cm)
View attachment 425877
If you post the ORK file and give me the pod specs (position, diameter, nose and tail cones) I'll chuck it into the alpha OR and see what it says.

Back