Build Thread - Seraphim - Level 3 Certification Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. I don't remember the sanding sealer brand. It's stowed right now, and I can't get it out easily.
2. I brushed it on with wide brushes for the big tubes.
3. Either get tubes big enough to fit your arms or soak a rag in sanding sealer and push it through the tube with a dowel.

1. I don't remember the sanding sealer brand. It's stowed right now, and I can't get it out easily.
2. I brushed it on with wide brushes for the big tubes.
3. Either get tubes big enough to fit your arms or soak a rag in sanding sealer and push it through the tube with a dowel.
Thanks!

I wasn't completely sure I was going to make it to the launch until last night, but the Seraphim will be flying at Higgs Farm today on an L1520T for its final test flight. Assuming a successful flight today, my level 3 certification is now targeted for March 12th at the Higgs Farm, with Red Glare as a backup date.

There is a possibility of a "victory lap" flight at Red Glare, but that depends on whether I can get another motor and whether I can transport Seraphim to Red Glare along with all the other rockets I want to bring. It obviously takes up quite a bit of car space on its own.

The flight today was a success, and this completes the Level 3 test program. The certification flight is now targeted for March 12/13th, with Red Glare as a backup in case of bad weather.

The Eggfinder also performed admirably despite not being needed. I brought it with me during the recovery and the arrow on the receiver remained pointed at the rocket at all times.

The Stratologger reported 4552 feet and the Raven3 reported 4545 feet and 508 mph. Seraphim seems likely to break 6000 feet on the certification flight.

Seraphim, L1520T, Primary, 02-12-22.jpg

Seraphim, L1520T, Backup, 02-12-22.jpg

I live in the PNW down the road from the Blue Tube source. Humidity causes me problems with Sorbitol, but not with Blue Tube. Probably because our humidity is of the cold variety. I have a different problem - it is a bit too flexible for my current build (6 grain, 75mm). I could have put the fins a couple inches up the body tube, but didn't because the fins would have to be slightly larger for the stability margin. Now I have to add glass and carbon since the fins are too close to the discontinuity of the body tube end. A little thumb pressure distorts the tube even with the motor case inside. Too much for my comfort level.
I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
1645233939163.png

The crazy thing was my sims only predicted half of the actual achieved altitude on those flights. I'm assuming the M motor is going to send it to 6000 feet.
Thats about 400 pounds of thrust maybe? Do you have GPS system on this Bird?

The crazy thing was my sims only predicted half of the actual achieved altitude on those flights. I'm assuming the M motor is going to send it to 6000 feet.
Every simulation is guilty until proven innocent. I've spent much of my engineering career working up such things, and helping the youngsters along. But my, that's a beautiful rocket. I like the test flight approach, seems a very level-headed, progressive way to go about it. Blessings upon your flight!

Wow!!! Is this M set for the next meet after the March 12-13 event? I see some serious power on the table. Outstanding John.

It's for the March 12-13 launch itself. After I get my level 3 certification, I'll be going back to smaller rockets for a while. I'm hoping to do a bunch of little launches at Red Glare on April 1-3.

The M1297W is actually a "baby" M, i.e. it's one of the smallest motors in the M range available. Most of the other reloads that fit that 75/5120 case are large L motors.

Back