Build Thread: Nibiru Interceptor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You get the cookie! :)

iu

Nothing cryptic or weird going on here, just trying to come up with any sort of lettering to put on the rockets. Have been using the same scheme for a while now.
mmmmm... cookie

You get the cookie! :)

iu

Nothing cryptic or weird going on here, just trying to come up with any sort of lettering to put on the rockets. Have been using the same scheme for a while now.
I very much look forward to the Denebulan Armored Missile rolling out in 2025!

Also hope to see something with -99 on it!

Decals, pa--- good God is there no end to the decals?

Hey man, if I had to suffer then *you* have to suffer.

The original ring decals were just blocks of orange... until I realized that individually placing 9 of them (in precise position) was crazy. So I redesigned so they would be connected, and ended up with a design that required paint matching (again). This time though, I was smart and I made sure the paint matched part was not going to directly touch the paint, which is where the mismatch would be most visible. Here's what I ended up with (arrows point to the paint-match part).
ring decal 1.jpeg
And here is the result. For this purpose, the match is more than good enough, although it's just a bit dark.

Side:
ring decal 3.jpeg

Bottom:
ring decal 2.jpeg

Whatever you do, don't click on either of these so you can see a giant close-up of my crappy paint job.

25 down, only 4 more to go. Only one more post about decals to come!

Ring Slot Gap Fix (?)

We take a break from decals for this little fix. I had previously done thin CA fillets in all places where the ring joined another component, and *thought* I had filled all the gaps. I was wrong, as I found out when I laid down some touch-up paint over the seam. This one was particularly bothersome:
ring-slot-gap.jpeg
You can see the paint sitting in the seam (below the surface of the pod tube), except for the gap in the middle which goes all the way through.

So I figured I'd fillet with some medium CA and then touch up again. Here it is after the medium CA, before paint:
ring-slot-fix.jpeg

Two observations:
1) I used way too much CA, and it's messy. I was having trouble controlling how much was dispensing from the Loctite CA bottle I was using. Need to get another bottle of SuperGold+ ASAP; nozzle is much finer.
2) Although the second picture is a bit fuzzy, it is still an accurate representation of how it looks in real life. Which is to say, the diffraction of the CA fillet almost completely hides the gap, somehow. And so I probably won't both painting over it; at this point I feel like any further touches are more likely to make it worse than better.

Finishing the Decals, at long last

Four more decals to go, and they will go on the pods.

First, a simple wrap... so simple that I ruined the first one I tried to put on, and then immediately decided to split each one into two pieces. Fortunately, that worked out:
pod-decal-1.jpeg

Two half-wraps are 100 times easier than one full-wrap. And aligning the two pieces by eye turns out to be quite easy as well.

I did each of the two pods, trying like heck to maintain the same position on each.
pod-decal-2.jpeg

Finally, a decal at the front of each pod, which also turned out to be a bit of a pain because of the built-in wrap. Also, the clear-coated Koala decals were not completely enthusiastic about wrapping around such a small radius. I would be cautious about using them on very small models. Anyway:
pod-decal-3.jpeg

All 27 decals on, no disasters. Future was applied to the entire rocket (well, everywhere I could reach, at least... I know for sure there are un-Futured areas inside the ring) and it unceremoniously goes into the trash can to drip and dry.
future.jpeg
That's a straightened out hanger threaded through a spent motor with holes drilled through it, suspended across the garbage can. I have an 18mm and 24mm drilled motor for this purpose.

And that, as they say.... is in fact *not* the end of construction. One more important tidbit before beauty shots.

The last pieces: Pod Nozzles

The last bit of construction is the tail nozzles for the two pods. These will do double-duty: visually finish the rear of the rocket, and also reinforce the ring attachments. At least, that is what I hoped. I had a great deal of uncertainty of whether it would work out. Reminder that this is what the rear of the rocket looked like at this point:
pods-rear-view.jpeg

Yuck. Let's pretty that up.

Step 1: design the nozzles

My design is fairly pedestrian, and in hindsight I could probably come up with something a bit more visually interesting, but it is what it is:
nozzle-top.png nozzle-side.png nozzle-bottom.png

The idea is: those long extensions would fit around the ring pieces. I would fill the gaps with blue, and therefore the ends of the rings would be held securely inside the pods, and not just held in by the CA on the outer seams. Inside the pod it would be would look something like this:
nozzle-on-ring.png

Hopefully that gets the point across.

Step 2: print

I used Craftcloud, which was the cheapest I could find: $12 for 3 pieces (I always get one extra, cost permitting.)

Step 3: finish

The exterior bits get sanded smooth and brush-painted with Vallejo black, then coated with Future. Here they are sitting on a spare ring piece to dry...
nozzles-painted.jpeg
And here is a close-up of the finished nozzle:
nozzle-close-up.jpeg
Not bad.

Step 4: Fit

The left pod piece fit in easily. The right piece was more of a struggle, due to some unforeseen factors. Suffice to say, to eventually ensure a flush fit, I needed to remove to of the prongs. The other two were shortened, probably not needed but I was initially having a great deal of trouble figuring out exactly what was preventing the piece from pushing all the way in.
nozzle-pieces-ready.jpeg
Regrettably, the two prongs I had to remove were the ones that would have secured the bottom ring piece, which is the one I most wanted to strengthen. Oh well! In hindsight could have fairly easily just dabbed an epoxy filled inside the tube at the joint with the ring, but for some reason that didn't occur to me until after the rings were installed. Oh well^2! At least the rings would be very well secured in the left pod.

Step 5: Install

No pics of the process because I was working with drippy epoxy. I applied a bead along the prongs and then pushed it between them with a toothpick. This would ensure (I hope) that the ring piece will be securely encased in glue between the two prongs.

Here is the result:
nozzle-pieces-iinstalled.jpeg

Beauty shots up next.

I was thinking a small splash of that hot orange paint from your Angled Interceptor in the center of the nozzles would be snazzy, but that may be too much gilding the lily.

Something to consider for future builds. Those tail cones not only are nice cosmetically, but if the tubes stuck back just a bit more they would be the first impact point on landing, as opposed to a fin tip. Might make for a more robust flight, especially with the tubes double secured with a ring and a wing.

Something to consider for future builds. Those tail cones not only are nice cosmetically, but if the tubes stuck back just a bit more they would be the first impact point on landing, as opposed to a fin tip. Might make for a more robust flight, especially with the tubes double secured with a ring and a wing.
Eh, given the sweep of the fins I don’t think there’s anything that particularly needs protecting here, plus I usually fly (if I ever fly at all 🙄) on soft grass.

Fin Tip? The motor sticks out past all the fins & looks to be about flush with the withcraft pod tail cones.... looks hell-for-stout to me. An excellent exercise in form follows function.

1685535600899.png 1685535636574.png

Beauty Shots

Here you go.
beauty-top.jpeg
beauty-bottom.jpeg

beauty-front-3q.jpeg

beauty-rear-3q.jpeg beauty-front.jpeg

This was a fun build and I am generally happy with the way it came out, but I am vaguely dissatisfied by the paint job. I think the culprit is the Rusto Winter Grey... it has a greenish-bluish tint to it that proved very difficult to match with decal colors. But I already had the can and wanted to use it if possible, so there it is.

I also created this hideous abomination, which I normally wouldn't show in public, but anyone who suffered through my 6000 posts on decals deserves to have a laugh at what a bad digital artist I am.

ni_in_space.png

Ugh, I wince looking at it.

Anyway, that's the build. I won't cover the shock cord and parachute installation because it's standard stuff. Thanks for following along!

That turned out pretty well. I agree about the grey color though. It resembles the grey-green that I used on my ESAM-58, see picture.Estes ESAM-58.JPG

Beauty Shots

Here you go.
View attachment 583639
View attachment 583640

View attachment 583642

View attachment 583641 View attachment 583644

This was a fun build and I am generally happy with the way it came out, but I am vaguely dissatisfied by the paint job. I think the culprit is the Rusto Winter Grey... it has a greenish-bluish tint to it that proved very difficult to match with decal colors. But I already had the can and wanted to use it if possible, so there it is.

I also created this hideous abomination, which I normally wouldn't show in public, but anyone who suffered through my 6000 posts on decals deserves to have a laugh at what a bad digital artist I am.

View attachment 583645

Anyway, that's the build. I won't cover the shock cord and parachute installation because it's standard stuff. Thanks for following along!
can we see what it looks like with a jet black background

Fin Tip? The motor sticks out past all the fins & looks to be about flush with the withcraft pod tail cones.... looks hell-for-stout to me. An excellent exercise in form follows function.

Concur that forward swept fins tend to make the rocket impact on the motor casing, which at least for single use motors is generally a good thing (I know nada about reloads, so I won't speak toward that.) Nearly all my designs use this trick. Asymmetric fins can also assist in making sure that if it does come down at an angle (many people have probably seen a "balanced" chute-nose-rocket, where the descent is nose cone first and the rocket is nearly horizontal) a finless or nearly finless side of the rocket impacts first.

Rockets frequently don't fall perfectly vertically. While I believe Neil's design WILL likely fly straight, with little or no corkscrewing, I suspect it may DESCEND under chute with an angle slightly Tango Uniform (military for belly up). Depending on the degree of slant, it may impact on the dorsal fin.

I was thinking of future designs which may like the Mars Snooper have outboard tubes that likely are the impact points. Neil's cool nozzle doodads would make potentially nice structural as well as cosmetic additions to such birds.

Beauty Shots

Here you go.
View attachment 583639
View attachment 583640

View attachment 583642

View attachment 583641 View attachment 583644

View attachment 583645

Thanks for taking us along for the ride, Neil! I really like/love the rocket design. If it flies half as good as it looks, it will be a complete win.

Also, as you well know, but maybe new members might not know, the forum is a better place due to your comments, suggestions, designs and build threads. Well done.

Sandy.

Looks great neil_w. I know it is the constant question, but have you got any ideas for the first flight? BTW, I think that the grey paint looks fine from here.

Looks great neil_w. I know it is the constant question, but have you got any ideas for the first flight?
Right now I have absolutely no idea when I'm going to get to a launch. It's going to be an extremely busy summer... possibly not until Fall. Yes that is a huge bummer.

BTW, I think that the grey paint looks fine from here.
I agree, it looks "fine". ;)

Here's one. Better?
View attachment 583717

This is better but still terrible. Not going to waste any more time on it.
View attachment 583720

Well of course it looks funny next to a planet, it’s a DEEP space interceptor (near planet would need more wing surface area. That’s one reason the X-Wing/TIE fighter dogfight in Rogue One just above the land base looked kind of silly.)

Needs a background with stars and a few far far away galaxies.

Well of course it looks funny next to a planet, it’s a DEEP space interceptor (near planet would need more wing surface area. That’s one reason the X-Wing/TIE fighter dogfight in Rogue One just above the land base looked kind of silly.)

Needs a background with stars and a few far far away galaxies.
From the manufacturer's web site, as quoted in the first post of this thread (emphasis mine):
The Galactic Armaments Group is proud to introduce the Nibiru Interceptor, a next-generation hybrid fighter craft designed for dominating the skies and
beyond
. With its revolutionary aerodynamic design and patented Plasma Core™ drives, this aircraft can operate seamlessly in the Earth's atmosphere and deep space, boasting a combination of speed and maneuverability that will leave the enemy chasing shadows.

Back